Do you think Coach Bret's One a day practices made the Razorbacks Soft?

Just wondering

I had my doubts when he did it

I know he said that’s what the pros were doing and he was hoping to protect a thin roster

But do you think it played a roll in the Razorbacks not being as tough mentally or dedicated?

Is this a contributing factor in Coach Morris having to change the culture at Arkansas?

No, and the NCAA banned two-a-day practices within six months of Bielema electing not to have them.

Matt, there you go screwing up people’s agendas with those inconvenient facts again.

There you go being a total _ick again Swine, I seriously doubt Bluegrass had any agenda, as a matter of fact seems to be one of the nicest guys on here, brings good stuff and is always level headed… you on the other hand, that’s another thread in itself.

May have been a touch of sarcasm by all.
Relax

nobody does Two a days anymore and that’s a shame b/c you can get much better in all phases especially special teams doesn’t always have to be hitting.we used to do 3 a days and the morning one was all special teams.

Two a days pretty much disappeared about 10 years ago. Most used walk throughs in second practice. And walk through is not doing them justice. Just not full pads.

That’s not what made them soft, but he did.

I respectfully disagree with suggesting someone has an agenda when asking whether previous coach practiced as hard as others.

I too have wondered if coach B’s practices were soft regardless of whether one or two a days.

I did not realize NCAA banned two a days.

There seems to have been some discussion about new coach going faster in practice and how some of Brett’s players were adjusting.

Some coaches use practices as part of conditioning, which I think is a good idea. Practices are important for teaching, but don’t need to be easy.

I blame the stupid looking helmet balloons he made the linemen wear. :geek:

I thought Bret’s teams were physical in year two and three. Not as much in last two years. His Wisconsin teams were always physical. I tend to think they became less talented up front on both sides of the ball and not as deep. Competition helps create better practices. When you know there is not a player behind you to take your position, you don’t work as hard. And when the coach knows it, he might not scrimmage enough. Injuries become crippling so you don’t scrimmage enough. Did that happen under Bielema? Maybe.

I don’t think it was just one thing. Not having enough speed was just as much of an issue. Lack of big, fast physical receivers became an issue, too. I’d take back Keon Hatcher, Cody Hollister and Drew Morgan (except for his last game). I believe the WR issue is about to get fixed.

NCAA allows certain amount of practice time when fall camp starts. Whether 2 a days or 1 a days. Assuming that’s in hours so that would be longer practice times each day or more days with shorter practice times for 1 a day practices ?

Maybe this will help:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba … -practices

Clemson, Georgia and a number of other programs wear those padded helmets during practice. I don’t fault any coach for trying to limit head trauma.

I like the helmet pads. If there is solid evidence that those things work, why don’t they just make football helmets with a padded covering over the hard shell and wear them all the time? It would save a lot of bumps and bruises as well.

I’m all about physical football, but head trauma is a serious issue, and if they don’t continue to develop equipment to reduce it I’m afraid it will result in more and more rules that make the game less fun.

I don’t know if there is enough data to certifiably prove the padding reduces head trauma. The market-leading manufacturer claims it does reduce trauma by up to 33 percent, but I’m unsure if that is scientifically proven or just a nice advertising line.

In any case, football is slow to adapt. Even if science can prove the padded helmets are as affective as the manufacturer claims, I suspect it would take a great many years to see them worn during games.

By the way, the first time I saw those used was about eight years ago at a high school practice in Bentonville.

All those padded helmets do is give these athletes an even bigger head… :shock: :lol: :lol:

We wore old helmets with a wide padding down the middle on the outside in pee wee football back in the late 60’s. Of course there wasn’t much else to those helmets. Barely any more padding inside & face mask with the old t bar that made ya cross eyed.