Do we have a Quinn Grovey QB Clone on campus?

Quinn Grovey was my all time fav Ark QB

I think he would blow up a Chad Morris system but age and eligibility prevent him from returning to the field :sunglasses:

Still the qualities that made him great and the skills of a Matt Jones to be mobile - throw and run seem perfect for what Arkansas needs

Quinn was a great leader and after Jack Crow worked within him he could throw the ball too

Do we have a Quinn Grovey or Matt Jones type on campus right now?

I’m thinking Arkansas needs a mobile Dual threat QB to be successful today

Arkansas has weapons but is a Battle Cruser not a battleship like Bama and LSU

So Arkansas must use speed agility to keep crossing the “T” to beat these big boys in football that requires a Mobile WB imho

Maybe a better analogy is

Bama is a Tiger II and LSU is a Tiger I Tank

Arkansas has been Churchill tank under Coach Bret

Chad Morris is using a Sherman M4E8

In time I hope he retools to a M-26 Pershing

Arkansas can be a Pershing in average years and a Super Pershing in the best of years

Right now - if the offense is right a M/4E8 Sherman can beat a Tiger but you got to hit not be hit - you must be Mobile and position yourself in he fight to win - head on - your toast vs Bama and LSU - just say’en

Odds are on the Tiger

No - at least at the moment.

They have good quarterbacks, but not great ones.

They have developing ones, but not developed ones.

I have a much higher opinion of Cole Kelley than some of you do and I can’t help but think his DWI plays into that.

I think the young ones have the highest ceilings - including 2019 commit KJ Jefferson.

I think the others are adequate, game managers.

But right now the only possible game changer I see going into the season is CK, who I believe can function in the Morris/Craddock offense similar to how Ben Hicks did so at SMU last season.

Hicks (6-2, 203) ran the ball anywhere from zero times to 7 in a game with up to 54 yards and positive yardage in his last five regular season games after his OL got started up. He netted just 54 yards, but the sacks killed his net. He passed for 3,569 yards with 31 touchdowns and 12 picks while being sacked 21 times, most of them in the early season.

Jarrrod Barnes is similar to Grovey, but probably more athletic.

As an athlete, but not as a QB.

Dudley I agree with your assessment of Cole Kelly. The loss of faith in this kid baffles me. I thought he was terrific last year as a first year QB playing behind a dreadful O-line and with a mediocre receiving corp. I realize he has much to learn and needs improvement in his mechanics. He also needs to shed a few pounds to be more nimble on his feet. However, the guy has a big time arm, a punishing running style and a lot of confidence. I dare to say, he has the POTENTIAL to be great.

I agree as well on Cole. There is going to be an interesting preseason this year. I think if he can drop weight he could be the guy due to his arm strength. I have nothing at all against the other QBs.

CK struggled last year behind a really bad offensive line. Anybody struggles when they’re getting hit while throwing; it affects your accuracy, probably your decision making (get happy feet, make throws you shouldn’t, etc.). Hammer Down should get the ball out of his hand sooner, before the pass rush gets there, and that alone should make him a better QB.

I don’t know who will be the QB against Eastern Illinois, and I sure don’t know who it will be against Misery. But let’s see how the season unfolds before we throw anyone under the bus.

It’s obvious that he lost weight. He will be starter this year IMO.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://twitter.com/CanaanSandy/status/ … 99394?s=19”>https://twitter.com/CanaanSandy/status/1018200264925499394?s=19</LINK_TEXT>

My goodness, someone get that man a biscuit! He’s almost too thin! This is great news. Tells me he is determined to win this battle and has put in the hard work he needed to do to be THE MAN.

I almost stopped thinking about football following the MU game last year. I’d say it was too painful, but I think I had just gotten numb. It was easier to forget about football as the basketball team got on a roll & then the baseball team did really well. I’m just now starting to even give it much thought, so I don’t know who might be the QB or how good he might be.

I’m glad to hear Dudley has a high opinion of C.K. I agree with Swine’s assessment of the 0-line. I hope to heavens it’s better this year. Regardless, I’m trying to take a wait & see attitude. I don’t want to get my hopes too high. Would love nothing more than to beat Col St & somehow manage to beat A&M so that we’d all be emotionally invested in the season. If we could somehow do that, I could see us having a surprisingly good year. But until I see it, I’m trying to protect my heart.

I almost stopped thinking about football following the MU game last year. I’d say it was too painful, but I think I had just gotten numb. It was easier to forget about football as the basketball team got on a roll & then the baseball team did really well. I’m just now starting to even give it much thought, so I don’t know who might be the QB or how good he might be.

I’m glad to hear Dudley has a high opinion of C.K. I agree with Swine’s assessment of the 0-line. I hope to heavens it’s better this year. Regardless, I’m trying to take a wait & see attitude. I don’t want to get my hopes too high. Would love nothing more than to beat Col St & somehow manage to beat A&M so that we’d all be emotionally invested in the season. If we could somehow do that, I could see us having a surprisingly good year. But until I see it, I’m trying to protect my heart.

Good to see Kelley has lost weight,that will help him move better,still has a ways to go in his accuracy but hopefully that has gotten better over the summer. I still think Noland will eventually be the best we have but we will see.

With a mobile QB the online will be better simply because they will not have to hold blocks as long

CK - let’s see

I think Coach Morris will give Arkansss a chance to use the resources and weapons the Razorbacks have and adjust fir match ups

I buy in to his HS coach back ground the Award winning HS Coaches adjust to the personnel they have

A Quinn Grovey and a Matt Jones would be if great help to right the ship -

I’m getting excited it a new era Ark wins the first 3 count me as hopeful

I think one of these kids will be able to do the job. I don’t have a favorite, but whoever it is will have earned the starting spot.

I went and looked at his stats from last season.

He was 87 of 151 passing (57.6) for 1,038 and 8 TDs with 4 interceptions.

It obviously needs to get into the 60s, but for reference Missouri’s Drew Lock was at 57.8 and he is considered a first-round guy in next year’s NFL draft.

He also rushed for a net 73 yards despite being sacked time and time again.

So he wasn’t horrible as a freshman.

Connor a lot as well, but I will let him take his first college practice snap before I start proclaiming greatness for him.

I remember when Quinn Grovey in his freshman year was pretty pitiful throwing the football, especially on mid and deep routes. He got a little better when he was a soph. Eventually through a lot of hard work and reps he became a pretty good passer, and most importantly in that option system was able to throw it deep reasonably well on play action. His receivers improved over time as well.

All of the guys in the mix now came to campus a lot better throwing QBs than Grovey was until his junior year. So from that standpoint I think we are in better shape on the passing game without a Grovey clone on campus

But Grovey was an option QB, not an RPO guy, and he was always able to execute the option game very, very well. Different era. If he came along today with the same skill set he probably would end up at a service academy.

I suspect he would have wound up as a DB today.

Well i didn’t say Kelley was horrible I just don’t trust him to make the accurate throws Based on what I have seen thus far is all I’m saying…I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this new offense but not sure we will take long to make a move if he hasn’t improved quite a bit.

I have never proclaimed greatness for Connor at least from the beginning but it’s JMO that he has the best dual threat skill set that Morris likes to imploy.i think he will learn the offense faster than most because its very similar to his Hs offense and will get better as he gets used to the speed of the game…

Don’t know if you saw Clay’s recent piece with Ty Storey, but in it he discussed how Charleston got much of his high school offense from SMU (and Chad Morris). Doesn’t mean Ty is going to wind up the starter, but if you’re talking learning Hammer Down I’d say he had a head start on everyone else.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … es-storey/”>http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jul/12/familiar-reads-and-tempo-excites-storey/</LINK_TEXT>