did the former football staff

IMHO. Jeff Long did a lot for AR athletics overall. Flagship program (football) he struggled with & ultimately paid the price because of the contract & buy out clause he incorporated for CBB. Had to be a lot of others buy into that as well.
I don’t think there were any regrets firing BP, but may have been many more regrets had he kept him.

Eagle, my loyalty won’t waver but my patience may very well side with the Bentonville monks…

Jrdent - it’s all good.

Merrick - tons of people missed on him, including Alabama and Florida State. Likely can be traced back to him not playing football until he was a junior and lots of people jumping on him and his potential.

Obviously he has battled injuries and didn’t develop.

at least a drunk knows how to pinch pennies

I don’t see any mention of who he is complaining about. Strangely defensive response.

I think this system will reveal talent wasted and unknown.
Ball control offense developes ball control talent.

I believe the proper context was that you started a thread before Beliema’s last season stating why you believed this was “the best recruiting staff” that you have been around “in 35 years”. You didn’t say “this is why I believe this staff tries harder or gives more effort”. Your words were “THE BEST RECRUITING STAFF”. Then you went on to bash Petrino and call him “the worst” person you have been around “in 35 years” - just couldn’t resist. Always superlatives (best, worst…) and always deemed beyond questioning due to “35 years”.

Other respected recruiting writers, however, have said the exact opposite about last coach’s recruiting efforts, btw.

Otis Kirk (on Twitter): “Good things happen in recruiting when you actually work in February instead of taking a 2 to 3 week vacation after NSD. Their staff [Morris’] works and has prospect days like everyone else is doing. Chad Morris knows the importance of recruiting and it shows compared to the one he replaced .”

Trent Shadid: “So far, it’s not even comparable. Hard to believe both were even recruiting to the same program .”

Danny West: “This staff [Morris’] is doing a better job in every aspect of recruiting and it ain’t even close. Ask anyone who truly knows what they are talking about and they will tell you the same. It ain’t even close .”

Sometimes just admitting you were wrong is a lot easier than being defensive and twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to show that what you said wasn’t really what you said. Based on recruiting rankings and what we’ve been seeing on the field I would say it’s pretty obvious that you were.

To start with…As for responding to the post in the way I did, as I look back on it now, it was most certainly an over-reaction on my part and I apologize for that.

I was dealing with a family issue that had me in a bad mood and that translated my response on the board.

Again, I apologize as I should separate the two.

That being said, I’ve gone back and looked through couple of thousand posts and haven’t found one yet where I said this was the “best recruiting staff” in my 35 years of covering recruiting.

I actually have only been covering recruiting for 30 years.

But, in case there is one - and I will continue to look - I will perform a mea culpa and apologize immediately if I did.

I will immediately admit that I was wrong about it calling it the best recruiting staff ever at the UA.

I stand by the statement that it was the hardest working staff I have been around from top to bottom - although this new staff appears to be taking that title.

I think part of that has to do with the resources available to the last two staffs and the effort from the head coaches in particular.

Richard and I have both pointed out the last staff got more recruits with legitimate Alabama and LSU offers than any other staff before using data that is available and talking to the league’s other recruiting writers.

But the staff near the end of Coach B’s tenure clearly didn’t do well enough in some positional areas and development and that is why it - with the exception of Barry Lunney and John Scott - are not here anymore.

I think Bobby Petrino is a heck of an offensive coach. But no, I do not think he was a great person at all while he was here. Some stuff you guys know about, some your don’t because this is not TMZ.

I knew about the affair long before it came out, but I didn’t care who he was with.

I talked several times on the radio about things I didn’t like about him when he was here and he and I had some chats about that.

It was not a factor in how I covered him. I don’t have to like the coach and it’s okay if I don’t like them as long as I am fair.

To start with…As for responding to the post in the way I did, as I look back on it now, it was most certainly an over-reaction on my part and I apologize for that.

I was dealing with a family issue that had me in a bad mood and that translated my response on the board.

Again, I apologize as I should separate the two.

That being said, I’ve gone back and looked through couple of thousand posts - there are 498 pages and 4,796 posts available for me to review - and haven’t found one yet where I said this was the “best recruiting staff” in my 35 years of covering recruiting.

I actually have only been covering recruiting for 30 years.

But, in case there is one - and I will continue to look - I will perform a mea culpa and apologize immediately if I did.

I will immediately admit that I was wrong about it calling it the best recruiting staff ever at the UA.

I stand by the statement that it was the hardest working staff I have been around from top to bottom - although this new staff appears to be taking that title.

I think part of that has to do with the resources available to the last two staffs and the effort from the head coaches in particular.

Richard and I have both pointed out the last staff got more recruits with legitimate Alabama and LSU offers than any other staff before using data that is available and talking to the league’s other recruiting writers.

But the staff near the end of Coach B’s tenure clearly didn’t do well enough in some positional areas and development and that is why it - with the exception of Barry Lunney and John Scott - are not here anymore.

Now, as we all know, Coach B messed up by not recruiting Texas enough early and then - apparently - making the state’s high school coaches mad.

And to take it as constructive criticism, I am going to take a look at your assertion that I use best and worst too much and throw out 35 years.

I think Bobby Petrino is a heck of an offensive coach. But no, I do not think he was a good person at all while he was here. Some stuff you guys know about, some your don’t because this is not TMZ.

I knew about the affair long before it came out, but I didn’t care who he is with. None of my business. I am most certainly not the moral police.

I talked several times on the radio about things I didn’t like about him when he was here and he and I had some chats about that.

It was not a factor in how I covered him. I don’t have to like the coach and it’s okay if I don’t like them as long as I am fair.

I don’t have a dog in this fight so this is not an attack but just a question. I agree with your stance about the affair and not being the moral police. I do, however, wonder if you had known how he’d gone about hiring her before the motorcycle took a ride through the ditch if you would have reported it then? Seems that was not about an affair but public university policy…

It was going to be a story the next week and yes, we would have reported it.

He officially hired her on Friday, hit the ditch on Sunday and it was out on Monday.

Thanks, Dudley. Couldn’t remember the timeline.

Bumped the thread for you - on the recruiting board, you titled it “So this won’t get lost in a long thread about recruiting…”.

I reread to make sure I had it right. Starts, “Here is an explanation on why I think this is the best grid recruiting staff that I have been around in 35 years.” (Although actually 30?). Dogs Petrino’s recruiting (unprovoked) despite his W-L record and the number of his AR signees who played with NFL teams. And continues with “Worst person that I have ever been around [in] 35 years of covering Arkansas sports.” And even, ironically, warns against practicing “revisionist history”.

PS - No “mea culpas” necessary.