Did Daryl Macon....

You act like the kids families are just sitting on the side of the street curb waiting for their kid to go pro. If Macon’s family was hurting that bad for money he could have went overseas after his first year of JUCO after he was an All-American there. So the theory of him just being so broke and needing to help out is debunked right there. What’s funny is you sent me a PM a little while ago saying you thought Macon was doing this whole thing just to get a rise out of people, now you’re the voice for him being so broke he needs to drop everything and go overseas. I’m confused, which is it?

Also, if you’re a low income family you qualify for a pell grant and since athletes are on a full scholarship they will get that money back in a refund check, plus they get a stipend every semester. For a pell grant $5,815 is the max a year, and for stipends while we don’t know particularly what the UofA gives in their stipends, but they can get up to $5,000 a year with that as well. That’s over $10,000, not including any work study jobs that are super easy they give athletes that also gives them money as well. And also not including selling the books you get for free with your scholarship after every semester, they can make a few hundreds dollars a semester doing that. If someone is hurting for money that bad, that 10k+ is plenty of money to send home to survive on for 1 year if it means giving someone a chance of being a millionaire in the United States the next year rather than making 50k in the Ukraine. Anyway you slice it, barring a serious family illness like 3agle09, it doesn’t make any sense to leave early if you have a shot of turning yourself into a draft pick.

I’m explaining the answer to his question. I have no clue what Macon’s families financial situation is, but there are kids who make the decision based on that. The aforementioned Bobby Portis. If Portis would have waited a year, there was no guarantee he would have improved, but the next year the NBA signed a new CBA in which draft picks would get more money than the year BP came out, the next year (last year) was also considered a much weaker class. BP waiting a year (not 2 to get his degree) would have benefited him more. He, however, left school. He actually mentioned not wanting to see his mom struggle anymore, isn’t that leaving for the reasons we are talking about? Even you said if Macon was a 1st round talent you’d recommend him to go (by the way BP’s family wasn’t on the curb either, guess that destroyed your theory of what struggling means).

As for the pm, you say the same thing.

You do realize Macon’s situation and Portis situation are completely different right? Portis was A GUARANTEED first round pick after his sophomore year. Macon isn’t even listed as a top 100 draft prospect on any board. And I’m glad you brought Portis up, that’s the perfect example of why you stay to IMPROVE your draft stock. After Portis’ first year he could have easily decided to drop out of school and leave early, he was projected as an early second rounder after his first year, he came back, improved his stock (most mocks actually had him as a projected as a late lottery) and got guaranteed millions. And as you said his family was in need of money, but they understood waiting that extra year probably ended up doubling what he would have got had he left after his first year.

As far as Macon situation (what this thread is about) it makes absolutely no sense at all to leave early when you have 0% chance of getting drafted this year, when could come back and potentially turn yourself into a draft pick and make millions. You see juniors every year have huge senior years and do just that. Thornwell is the most recent example. And that’s what most people realize, and that’s what we’re talking about in this thread, we’re not talking about guys that are guaranteed first round picks or hall of fame players and college basketball legends like Chris Webber, who you mentioned earlier.

As far as the PM discussion, you are right I did say that. And I’m saying it in this thread too LOL. I’m consistent in what I’ve been saying the whole time, which is he just wants attention that’s why he’s doing this whole deal, and he’ll be back. And you’re the one that brought that up to me and started that discussion, that’s why I’m confused on why you’re in this thread saying the complete opposite of what you said earlier. You know Macon isn’t doing this because he’s “broke” so why you’re bringing up all these examples of why he should leave early to support his family is beyond me.

I agree with you about that (I don’t think he will leave). I am not saying Macon “needs” to leave, I’m saying it’s his decision and I support him if he leaves or returns, some of the guys arguing don’t seem like they would support him.

Now, I brought Portis up because if he would have waited an extra year (his JR year) he would have made more money, even if he wouldn’t have improved. I thought he made a mistake, but his reason was what I was talking about, his family was struggling (they told him to return), and he left anyway. Same thing with Macon, he can return and make more money (the overseas route) but his family might be struggling (that was a rumor that was mentioned when this thread started), so he (like Portis) could be looking to get a check to help out. My response that you responded to was explaining that. Poster said he didn’t understand family situation as why he would leave. That simple.

So… you don’t see the difference between being a guaranteed first round pick and someone that’s not even listed as a top 100 prospects? Gotcha.

I see you’re just reaching now so you don’t have to admit you contradicted yourself by saying he’s just trying to get attention to now apparently in your mind he’s so poor and you’re going to support him no matter what. And what does support his decision even mean? You’re going to go on twitter and say good job Daryl thanks for leaving early when you could have come back and helped Arkansas have a special year? Dude you’re a fan just like us and want the razorbacks to win first and foremost, stop trying to act like you’re just so worried about Daryl’s financial situation, which you admitted you know nothing about. Daryl’s family may have more money than you right now, why you’re going out of your way to paint his family as some poor people just waiting on Daryl to go pro to support all of them. Like I said that theory has already been debunked, people have already spoken to people around him and he wants to go to the NBA and has no interest in going overseas, but by all means keep speculating on his finances and telling us why he should go overseas.

I get it and I am very familiar with struggling families but like l said barring any recent hardships I would encourage the kid to keep his eye on the prize degree/Pro Ball '18.