Desi Sills with a nice game Sat.

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/952610067861458944

How do you think his game will transfer to the next level?..And i know it’s premature but do you think some of our non-seniors transfer like Brachen Hazen did? If so that might actually be a good thing if we can use those scholarships to get players who can impact

Desi is a high energy defender who wants to take on the best scorer on the other team something this team is missing this year. Fearless to the basket. Good but not great outside shooter. He reminds me of Aryln Bowers but a better scorer.

I remember talking with a HS Coach in Tulsa last year right after they had returned from playing Jonesboro. His quote was something along the lines of, “we have a pretty good team but we had no answer for #3. I tried everything and I’ve seen a lot of things but when that kid decided it was time to take over the game, there was nothing we could do to stop him.”

I have never seen him play, so I am dangerously going on what I have read and probably some wishful thinking, but I envision a player with a bit of dog in him ala Corey Beck, who seemingly not only had the ability to up his game when needed, but also was the type who could get more out of others around him when needed. Guess I would call him a winner. I had initially thought Barford might be this type of player, and not to get down on him, but it seems he tries to elevate game, by focusing on going one on one and when his shot is not falling, it seems it is easy for him to get down.
Corey might have games where his offense was not clicking, but then he seemed to take it out on his man on defense. One of the toughest minded and team oriented players that I can remember.

I don’t feel Barford ever gets down. Seems to me he has a short memory. Not fair to compare Beck and Barford. Barford is a scorer, Beck is not. Beck could not take over the game offensively even if he wanted to.

With scorers, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Granted it has not worked for Barford in the last three games, but you forget how many times it did work before. Case in point the Tennessee game.

I like the players who are willing to be a hero or a goat. Macon and Barford are cut from that mold. Kind of like Kobe Bryant. Willing to take the heat if he fails.

[quote=“PJHawg”]

I don’t feel Barford ever gets down. Seems to me he has a short memory. Not fair to compare Beck and Barford. Barford is a scorer, Beck is not. Beck could not take over the game offensively even if he wanted to.

With scorers, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Granted it has not worked for Barford in the last three games, but you forget how many times it did work before. Case in point the Tennessee game.

I like the players who are willing to be a hero or a goat. Macon and Barford are cut from that mold. Kind of like Kobe Bryant. Willing to take the heat if he fails.

[/quote]While my post wasn’t intended to be so much about Barford, it seems that is how it was taken. I think he is a very tough kid and I am a fan, and bringing up Beck was not to compare their games but to address mentality, more related to what I hope Sills brings to the team… Maybe I am misreading what I see, but I see a definite difference in his body language and also in his energy when it is not happening for him. Again, meant only as an observation, not as a criticism, because this is probably more common than less common.
I also like confident players, but love players who can make the necessary adjustments from game to game and within games to know how they can best contribute to the team outcome. I am aware the season will be influenced by how far the senior guards take us and also believe that this may look different on given nights.