Depth Chart

Dudley, Clay, Matt,
Can one of y’all put together what you “project” the depth chart to be? Maybe you already have & I just missed it.

Sure. I will try to get to it in the next couple of days.

This incorporates the post-spring practice depth chart I put together with some guesswork on my part.

OFFENSE
QB
Austin Allen, Sr., 6-1, 209
Ty Storey, So., 6-2, 212 OR
Cole Kelley, R-Fr., 6-7, 258

I think Cole wins the backup gig in the end

RB
Devwah Whaley, So., 5-11, 216
David Williams, Sr., 6-1, 220 OR
Maleek Williams, Fr., 6-0, 230
Chase Hayden, Fr., 5-11, 190

I think David’s experience means he has a good shot at being the backup, but I liked what I saw from Maleek in the spring and wouldn’t rule out him having a supporting role and there being a by-committee approach behind Devwah. Chase may get on the field as a change-of-pace guy or maybe they redshirt him and use T.J. Hammonds in that role.

FB
Kendrick Jackson, Jr., 6-1, 255
Hayden Johnson, So., 6-3, 248

WR
Jared Cornelius, Sr., 5-11, 212
La’Michael Pettway, So., 6-2, 216
Jonathan Nance, Jr. ,6-2, 187

WR
Deon Stewart, So., 5-11, 164
Brandon Martin, So., 6-4, 215
Jordan Jones, R-Fr., 6-1, 184

I think Jared, Deon, La’Michael and Brandon were the top 4 after spring with T.J. and Jordan both flashing some big-play ability. Koilan Jackson may get in the mix.

TE
Austin Cantrell, So., 6-4, 269
Jack Kraus, Jr., 6-5, 252 OR
Cheyenne O’Grady, So., 6-4, 251
Grayson Gunter, So., 6-6, 232
Will Gragg, So., 6-4, 254 OR

Obviously you’d think Jeremy Patton plays a lot. I’d think Cantrell, Patton and O’Grady are the top 3 with Gunter and Kraus competing to be in a blocking role. Maybe Hayden lines up at H-Back some.

LT
Colton Jackson, So., 6-6, 300
Paul Ramirez, Sr., 6-6, 299
Shane Clenin, Fr., 6-6, 295
Tyler Hall, R-Fr., 6-4, 296

Colton is getting rave reviews from everyone, so it’ll be interesting to see if he really has turned a corner. Paul may be the No. 2 at both tackle spots.

LG
Hjalte Froholdt, Jr., 6-4, 318
Deion Malone, Jr., 6-3, 296
Cooper Sone, So., 6-2, 277

You’d expect Hjalte to be tremendously improved.

C
Frank Ragnow, Sr., 6-5, 319
Zach Rogers, Jr., 6-1, 306
Dylan Hays, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
Jackson Hannah, Jr., 6-2, 282

Kurt really spoke highly of Dylan Hays, so it’ll be interesting to see if he eventually leaps Zach Rogers, who seems solid but hasn’t quite been able to find a way to get onto the field whether at center or guard. In fairness, he’s played behind a beast in Frank.

RG
Johnny Gibson, Jr., 6-4, 344
Jake Raulerson, Sr., 6-4, 301
Kirby Adcock, Fr., 6-5, 300

For some reason, I think I tend to overrate Gibson when thinking about how the OL will pan out this year. I think he has a chance to be really good and a great walk-on success story. We’ll see.

RT
Brian Wallace, Jr., 6-6, 335
Jalen Merrick, So., 6-4, 327
Dalton Wagner, Fr., 6-9, 330

Brian’s another young guy you’d expect to be way better in year two as a starter.

DEFENSE
DE
McTelvin Agim, So., 6-3, 289
Armon Watts, Jr., 6-5, 293

Sosa is a stud. The other 4 main DEs will all compete for the other starting job and backup reps.

NG
Bijhon Jackson, Sr., 6-2, 335
Austin Capps, So., 6-4, 309
Jonathan Marshall, R-Fr., 6-4, 299

I think Jackson and Capps are solid, but I don’t know that either is a real difference maker, which is somewhat worrisome. Marshall is intriguing.

DE
T.J. Smith, So., 6-3, 285
Briston Guidry, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
Michael Taylor, Jr., 6-3, 260

T.J. was pretty disruptive in the spring.

OLB
Karl Roessler, Sr., 6-1, 256
Jamario Bell, So., 6-5, 252
Tyler Phillips, So., 6-1, 232
Brandon DePrato, R-Fr., 6-4, 218

They seemed to like Roessler here a lot more than they did Taylor, who didn’t want to be a stand-up guy. Bell being in the two-deep is cause for a bit of nervousness in my mind, but maybe the light will finally turn on.

MLB
De’Jon Harris, So., 6-0, 240
Josh Harris, Jr., 5-10, 239
Giovanni LaFrance, R-Fr., 6-1, 255

Big fan of Scoota. Will be interesting to see how much of a learning curve there is as a full-time starter. Josh Harris is a good program guy, but he may be relegated to special teams duty.

WLB
Dre Greenlaw, Jr. 6-0, 226*
Kyrei Fisher, Fr., 6-2, 235 OR
Grant Morgan, R-Fr., 5-11, 220 OR
Dee Walker, R-Fr., 6-2, 208

Dre is really good if he can just stay healthy. I think the backup spot is wide open and there is a lot of inexperience there, so they better hope he can stay on the field. I know they’ve said Dwayne is more natural at OLB, but he has enough experience that I think they’d think hard about moving him inside if a starter went down.

OLB
Randy Ramsey, Jr., 6-4, 228
Dwayne Eugene, Sr., 6-1, 235
Ben Brasuell, R-Fr., 6-1, 218

I think Randy could have a breakout season. He’s so disruptive. He’s key because I don’t think there’s another player like him on the roster. Maybe Gabe Richardson comes in an can help at OLB.

CB
Ryan Pulley, Jr., 5-11, 198
Britto Tutt, So., 6-2, 177

Pulley’s a stud. He’ll be out there most of the time, but Tutt and maybe Chevin Calloway should be in the mix for backup reps. Coaches acted more pleased with Tutt toward the end of practice after being rusty coming off the ACL.

S
De’Andre Coley, Sr., 6-1, 214
Reid Miller, Jr., 5-9, 197
Micahh Smith, R-Fr., 6-0, 195

S
Santos Ramirez, Jr., 6-2, 205
Josh Liddell, Sr., 6-1, 210
Deon Edwards, R-Fr., 6-1, 205

Same cast back at safety. You’d think there’s some natural progression, but in my eyes they’ve got to prove they can be legitimately good SEC players on a consistent basis before I believe it. You’d like to see Deon or Micahh take a step forward soon and pass Reid, who is the No. 4 guy but won’t ever play. Montaric needs to add weight/strength and missing the whole summer didn’t help him in that regard. I think the overwhelming odds are that the same trio splits all the snaps again, for better or worse.

CB
Henre’ Toliver, Sr., 6-1, 185
Kevin Richardson, Sr., 6-0, 178
Nate Dalton, So., 6-3, 190

NB

Toliver looked more comfortable outside as opposed to playing nickel. Kevin was really solid at nickel. The CBs were going against mostly young WRs, so it’ll be interesting to see how that dynamic changes in fall camp/the season. But the starters were very impressive.

Gonna be a long year.

I like the line up. I see a lot of potential. AA & D-Dub are stud on offense…

The defense is my concern. They are ultra thin in the back 7. And have questionable talent even among the starters.

I’m with you, Notorious. The defense was bad the past two years, and we have the same guys back this year minus Brooks Ellis and #48( Homage to Danny Ford, there…forgot the player’s name…). Paul Haynes is going to earn his pay this year. He has a very tough job to mold these guys into a good defense.

Maybe a bad year again on D, but if the Offensive Line improves and the O doesn’t turn the ball over we win nine- ten games… Just as we would have last year.

So many ifs this time of year. If only we could get Stephen Hawking
to give us his analysis.

If we are likely to get points when we get to the opponent’s 30-yard
line, we are likely to win more than seven games.

I disagree about the depth being bad in the back 7. The LB’s are where there is concern about depth. The back 4 are going to be better and there is good depth. The back 4 were hurt by Robb Smith defense because they took bad angles or coverages at times, but you can ask some inside the program to find that our LB’s let a lot of guys loose into the secondary. The secondary looked bad because they were constantly having to watch the middle of the field for loose offensive players. This scheme puts more athletic LB’s on the field that should reduce the leaks in the middle of the field and this should allow the back 4 to concentrate on covering their direct responsibility.

A solid SEC defense has to have a lot more than just good players at their individual positions. The ability to disguise coverage, to recognize what the offense is doing, and to react positively when things aren’t going well is just as important as filling gaps, coverage, and tackling–well almost as important. Last year, we didn’t do well putting LB on slot receivers or recognizing the open middle for either TE/RB pass up the middle or QB taking off up the middle. I think the 3-4 gives us a DB on the slot, but I’m still not convinced that we have addressed the middle issue. I think our individual talent level is okay, it is the “team play” and overall coaching (both giving and taking) that is unknown at this point. We’ll know by the end of September.

This is a better team than many are saying. There is more talent than shows up on the media All-SEC team from last week. Here are players I would consider as potential All-SEC a long with Austin Allen and Frank Ragnow.

McTelvin Agim. He’s a five star and a legit talent. An NFL defensive line guru saw tape of him and was impressed as a true freshmen.

Dre Greenlaw. If healthy he’s an SEC playmaker. I think he will be the leading tackler. He might top 100.

Jared Cornelius. He’s as good as anyone in the SEC. He will have a big year if he’s healthy all season. He’s lighter and will be better after the catch.

Austin Cantrell. He’s best blocking tight end in the SEC. He’s going to have a big year as all-around tight end. And don’t minimize what CJ O’Grady has become.

Ryan Pulley. I think he’s an all-league type corner. He’s going to have a break-out year.

Devwah Whaley. He’s one of top 5-6 backs in SEC. I think he gains the same amount as Rawleigh last year, maybe more.

The guards are under rated. Froholdt and Gibson are talents and will be terrific this season. I don’t know how they rate against the other guards getting all-Sec mention but I will keep them.

I had already tempered my expectations for the upcoming season, and then you post this.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear you’re trying to set me up for disappointment! :wink:

The casual fan or outsider has seen our defense suck for 2 years, but we didn’t suck because of a total void of talent. The talent is there in many places but it is 1st year starting talent or has been in an outdated defensive scheme for Spread offenses. There were a number of first year starters last year that should see the jump in performance we expect from Y1 to Y2.

Austin Allen was a first year starter
Gibson, Froholdt, Wallace, and Jackson were first year starters…and jackson was a Freshman to boot
Pulley, Agim, Capps, and Scoota were first year starters. 3 of the 4 were freshman and Pulley was a Soph.

The secondary is deeper and more talented.

My concerns are safety and linebacker. Those areas just appear to be paper thin. There will be injuries, there, as is always the case. And, they’ll probably begin in camp. Who sustains those injuries and how long they last will swing the season. The Greenlaw and Richardson injuries last year were huge.

I have always thought the key to our teams is that we have to have 3-4 defensive players who are 1st or 2nd All SEC caliber. I can see that potential. I just worry about being thin up the middle.

My pick for breakout star (since everyone is understandably picking Agim) is Ramsey. He makes big plays. And, if some of our warts are going to be hidden it will be with help from big plays by Agim, Ramsey, Pulley, etc.

Who provides the safety depth?

I like the depth at safety. There is a rotation of four. You have Santos Ramirez, De’Andre Coley, Josh Liddell and Kevin Richardson. I think there are others in the incoming freshmen list who can play safety as well. There is more depth in the secondary than in a long time. Richardson and Liddell will rotate at nickel and that’s a better position for Liddell than safety anyway. You may not like all of those guys at safety, but four is a healthy number. All are experienced. They need to tackle better than they did last year, but I think they will be in better position in this scheme with help in the middle with an extra linebacker than they were in the 4-3.

OFFENSE
QB
Austin Allen, Sr., 6-1, 209
Ty Storey, So., 6-2, 212 OR
Cole Kelley, R-Fr., 6-7, 258

I would have guessed Kelley would have been the back-up going into spring, but Storey held him off. Should be a fun battle in fall camp.

RB
Devwah Whaley, So., 5-11, 216
David Williams, Sr., 6-1, 220 OR
Maleek Williams, Fr., 6-0, 230
Chase Hayden, Fr., 5-11, 190

Devwah “Duvall Wally” Whaley should get a ton of work. D-Williams has the experience nod, but M-Williams has the better potential. I expect TJ Hammonds to split time between TB and WR. I also expect J-Red and some of the other WRs to get that jet screen thing going as well

FB
Kendrick Jackson, Jr., 6-1, 255

WR
Jared Cornelius, Sr., 5-11, 212
La’Michael Pettway, So., 6-2, 216
Jonathan Nance, Jr. ,6-2, 187
Kolian Jackson

WR
Deon Stewart, So., 5-11, 164
Brandon Martin, So., 6-4, 215
Jordan Jones, R-Fr., 6-1, 184
Kofi Boateng

I agree tat Koilan Jackson may get in the mix and Kofi Boateng as well after redshirting due to injury last season

TE
Austin Cantrell, So., 6-4, 269
Jack Kraus, Jr., 6-5, 252 OR
Cheyenne O’Grady, So., 6-4, 251
Jeremy Patton
Grayson Gunter, So., 6-6, 232
Will Gragg, So., 6-4, 254 OR

Patton will see the field plenty, but I put him at 4 because he hasn’t taken it yet. It was great for him to get here in late June instead of August.

LT
Colton Jackson, So., 6-6, 300
Paul Ramirez, Sr., 6-6, 299
Shane Clenin, Fr., 6-6, 295
Tyler Hall, R-Fr., 6-4, 296

C
Hjalte Froholdt, Jr., 6-4, 318
Deion Malone, Jr., 6-3, 296
Cooper Sone, So., 6-2, 277

I think Froholdt will be the most improved lineman on the team this year. Dude was thrown into the fire without a water hose last season.

C
Frank Ragnow, Sr., 6-5, 319
Zach Rogers, Jr., 6-1, 306
Dylan Hays, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
Jackson Hannah, Jr., 6-2, 282

Ragnow - who has been one of our interns this summer on Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly - is a great kid, a great player and is ready to have a major voice since is the man now.

RG
Johnny Gibson, Jr., 6-4, 344
Jake Raulerson, Sr., 6-4, 301
Kirby Adcock, Fr., 6-5, 300

Maybe the most important spot on the line this season One of them has to grab ahold of the spot.

RT
Brian Wallace, Jr., 6-6, 335
Jalen Merrick, So., 6-4, 327
Dalton Wagner, Fr., 6-9, 330

Wallace should have a big year. According to Kurt Anderson, Merrick made a move at the end of the spring. It’s time to fish or cut bait for him.

DEFENSE
DE
McTelvin Agim, So., 6-3, 289
Armon Watts, Jr., 6-5, 293

I believe Watts - who is now in fantastic shape - will be a surprise star on defense this season.

NG
Bijhon Jackson, Sr., 6-2, 335
Austin Capps, So., 6-4, 309
Jonathan Marshall, R-Fr., 6-4, 299

Bijhon is the prototypical NG for this 3-4. His time to shine.

DE
T.J. Smith, So., 6-3, 285
Briston Guidry, R-Fr., 6-3, 294
Michael Taylor, Jr., 6-3, 260

Little experience, but tons and tones of potential. All look the part.

OLB
Karl Roessler, Sr., 6-1, 256
Jamario Bell, So., 6-5, 252
Tyler Phillips, So., 6-1, 232
Brandon DePrato, R-Fr., 6-4, 218

Mr. Bell, the floor is yours. Super athlete, time for the light to truly come on.

MLB
De’Jon Harris, So., 6-0, 240
Josh Harris, Jr., 5-10, 239
Giovanni LaFrance, R-Fr., 6-1, 255

Like Jimmy, I a big fan of Harris. He gets it on the field and off. I truly see NFL stuff from him. He’ll be so much better this year because of the time he got with Dre hurt last season.

WLB
Dre Greenlaw, Jr. 6-0, 226*
Kyrei Fisher, Fr., 6-2, 235 OR
Grant Morgan, R-Fr., 5-11, 220 OR
Dee Walker, R-Fr., 6-2, 208

From homeless to a chance to be an All-SEC linebacker, Greenlaw has had an interesting story to tell the last few years. I love Fisher, but as the coaches said in the spring, he can’t want to have the big hit so much that he bites early.

OLB
Randy Ramsey, Jr., 6-4, 228
Dwayne Eugene, Sr., 6-1, 235
Gabe Ricahrdson
Ben Brasuell, R-Fr., 6-1, 218

Randy Ramsey is poised to become a star. Eugene has bee solid, never spectacular, but gets it and I think will be a significant cog this season. Richardson is a steal to me.

CB
Ryan Pulley, Jr., 5-11, 198
Britto Tutt, So., 6-2, 177

Lockdown city over here this year with these two.

S
De’Andre Coley, Sr., 6-1, 214
Reid Miller, Jr., 5-9, 197
Micahh Smith, R-Fr., 6-0, 195

S
Santos Ramirez, Jr., 6-2, 205
Deon Edwards, R-Fr., 6-1, 205

CB
Henre’ Toliver, Sr., 6-1, 185
Nate Dalton, So., 6-3, 190

NB

Richardson is the utility infielder that makes it all come together. I still worry about safeties some, but like the secondary depth more this season