DeLuca's Pizzeria review

Evidently his highest rating yet for pizza joints.

Mr. Jimmy Bruno who was Bruno’s on Roosevelt Road in Little Rock made the best pizza I ever had. I still compare all pizza pies to his and none are as good.

DeLuca’s is great. they have odd hamburgers-small and almost round, but so juicy that they serve them with a bib. And you should definitely use the bib. also homemade pickles, that are fantastic, and if you get there early enough, you can sometimes buy a jar of them for $12. Fried ravioli is also awesome there.

RD, you’d love it there.

GHG

Pizza is by far my favorite food!! Never really let myself indulge in it until football season but I can eat it three meals a day LOL

2 Likes

Though I have never tried this Hot Springs establishment, my complaint about most available pizzas is that they are primarily crust, tomato (or other) sauce, and cheese, with very occasional sprinkling of other ingredients. On a trip to Chicago a few years ago, I found out what a “real” pizza is like, with lots of tasty ingredients to go with the above-mentioned staples. Johnny’s Pizza (which I think is perhaps a national chain) is the only pizza that I can find locally that even comes close to the one that we got in Chicago, and I am really fond of their “sweep the kitchen” pizza.

1 Like

Haven’t done the burgers yet. The pizza is good no doubt but not sure I would agree with some of the reviews of some saying it’s the best pizza they’ve ever eaten. I really enjoyed the brushetta.

I’m like youdaman, I love pizza. The worst pizza I’ve ever had was good.

2 Likes

Johnnys Pizza is a local Louisiana chain that started here in Monroe by Johnny Huntsman. His brother had a couple of stores in South Arkansas(Crossett, ElDorado and I think Monticello). Great pizza and a great muffuletta! People that move off from NELA come home and make a Johnnys pizza on their must do list while home. Try their “sweep the swamp” pizza next time…it’s got shrimp and crawfish on it!

1 Like

Giordano’s Chicago - nuff said

1 Like

I lived in Monroe for a couple of years and I probably ate a hundred Johnny’s Sweep the Kitchen. Plenty of toppings on traditional crust with pieces cut rectangular. A great snack after a night at Sal’s Saloon.

1 Like

Lived right down the street from a Johnny’s Pizza when I was in Georgia and it is the best Pizza I’ve ever eaten… couldn’t eat much of it because it was so thick, but it was Awesome! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it… we don’t have one here in Mississippi where I live.

1 Like

I went to what was then NLU when Johnny’s was just a few years old. No idea how many sweep the kitchens and muffys I ate there, but it was a lot. One of my favorites for a muffy. Central Grocery in NO and Fertitta’s Deli in Shreveport were also wonderful.

Central’s Muffaletta!

1 Like

The best pizza I have ever eaten and I’ve eaten then everywhere in the world, is Johnny’s Pizza in North Louisiana. I got hooked on em while living in Ruston (until mid 90’s) and still crave em to this day. Their Sweep The Kitchen with anchovy’s is unbeatable. Always stop by on my trips to visit visit family in Arkansas, even if I have to take a longer route. Always take a few home. Always thought they would be a huge hit in Fayetteville

2 Likes

I had a Northern La. recruit rave and I mean rave about Johnny’s. Are they still in business?

1 Like

They are still in business here in Baton Rouge and are talking about opening a second location on this side of town. I think that their “sweep the kitchen” pizza has like maybe 10 different ingredients, but if there is one or more that you do not care for they will cut it (them) from all or however much of the pizza you wish.

I was in Monroe a few months ago. They are still there and doing well.

Yeah Richard if you can ever find yourself to where you can try Johnny’s Pizza I can promise you you will not be disappointed…

Yes they are still doing well. I take care of some of their execs and they bring the nurses free pizza cards…you’d think they hit the Powerball! Johnny’s pizza is worth the trip down here. It’s a thin crust pizza. If you’re ever down this way RD, hit me up and we’ll go eat one.

You’re on. Thanks for the offer.

Last Johnnys comment and Funny story for all you Johnnys fans from my high school days…it was the end of the school year and our football Oline did our final spring weight lifting max(bench, squat, power clean) & we all met our targets. Chester Huntsman(Johnny’s brother) owned the Johnnys in Crossett and offered us free trip to their lunch buffet that day if we met our lift goals.

So the OL guys had a pizza competition to see who could eat the most, and I finished in 2nd place(I put down 37 slices) and the winner put down 46 slices. I ate over 3 large pizzas in one sitting! Think it was my Junior year, but we were all stuffed and laughing at how much $$ we cost poor Chester that day.

2 Likes