Defensive Recruiting

Like everybody else, I was disappointed in the loss to Auburn. The offense had thier struggles, but scored enough points to win. IF we had an average SEC Defense. It’s the same problems we’ve had for about a decade. No consistent pass rush. Linebackers out of position, and a secondary burned several times a game. We have some pieces, but not nearly enough. No depth is also a major factor. This defense is not an SEC Defense. Look, I like Morgan, Henry and Pool. They play thier tails off. But when you are a step too slow, not all the want to in the world will solve that. I’m just wondering if our current Red Shirt Freshmen and incoming commitments are indeed SEC quality athletes. Do they have the size and speed to compete against SEC caliber Offenses. Are we recruiting guys who can rush the passer, close gaps, and not get burned deep. We can’t afford anymore misevaluations, , or recruiting players from lower tier High School ranks with poor quality competing teams. I think Sam is aware of the problems and is working to improve recruiting.

3 Likes

The short answer, very few are SEC ready.

2 Likes

The simple fact is it will take time.

I don’t share you opinion the offense failed to convert on chances they had to score in Auburn territory!
The defense has its issues but the offense allowed 7 of those points on the scoreboard!
The defense is a shell of what it was to start the season. The defense was suspect in the Ole Miss game but played well enough for the offense to gain the MO and win the Auburn game.

We are going to have to really work the portal and hope they are some SEC ready kids that want to come play here. I am very interested to see who transfers out in December. I think the number is 7 max on portal moves. I bet we see 7 kids transfer out so we can bring in 7 more SEC ready players. I know LSU has some talented players. It will be interesting to see if any of those hit the portal since Coach O is being let go.

LSU had 1 player hit the transfer portal yesterday. There may be more in the next few months.
I hope there’s a few diamonds in the rough that play this week against UAPB that once the lights come on they excel. Then those same players get a shot against Miss St and perform well. Warming playing time for the young guys will be important. Nothing gives you confidence like experience.
Coach Pittman and the staff have their work cut out for them with the roster for next season.
Recruit. That’s the real way to get the talent to compete.

1 Like

Recruiting is an educated guess. You can evaluate all you want but there will always be some misses. Some guys will surprise. I doubt anywhere thought Trey Flowers would be a dominant DE on the SEC level.

The lack of pressure to me is the biggest issue.

3 Likes

Offense reached Auburn’s side of the field at one point like 9 of 10 or 11 drives. To only have 23 points after being in their territory that much is a killer against a pretty good team. Too many missed opportunities by the Offense and then giving up the fumble in the end zone was a killer even if the D struggled. That was a winnable game, just didn’t finish drives and the zebras hosed us too.

We do need more pressure as RD stated!

Short answer to the OP is simple - NO. If they were SEC ready and SEC talented, they would be playing.

1 Like

I refuse to believe that a certain walk-on is our best option at DB!

I refuse to believe our very capable defensive coordinator and secondary coach would be playing a player they believe to be less capable than one they have on the sideline. There is information they have to weigh that we are not privy to. Injuries, bad chemistry, bad attitude, open defiance that is not made public. You don’t even know what you don’t know. Their jobs and future opportunities are on the line.

1 Like

Maybe they’re afraid to “ruin a young DBs confidence” by taking a learn on the job approach.
That is the only reason I could see as to why they continue to trot that walk-on out on the field.
Other than that, our “very capable” staff must be doing a terrible job at evaluating and signing talent if there isn’t a better DB currently on the roster.

Or, the walkon plays better than the other talent? Clark played last week as Bishop was out with a hamstring issue, Bishop and Brown ran first team corners during practice this week. As to the other secondary guys, most are more safety types that we’ve recruited, Johnson and Gordon are your back up corners to the 3 mentioned above.

we appear to have one solid SEC corner, and he’s a senior. we have one all-america safety, and he’s out for the year. LBers are covering the run well-there are lots of holes in our zone defense (given that the qb has 10 seconds to find a hole), and I can’t tell if that is a LB problem or not.

But Nix had all day to throw. zero sacks and ZERO QB HURRIES?!?!? that says a lot.

I don’t know the answers, but there’s clearly a problem when 4th and 1 is a tremendous challenge for our offense, tehn our D gives up about 80% of those plays.

gotta recruit and recruit and recruit.

GHG

2 Likes

As noted here awhile back, Arkansas is in contact with several committed prospects, including DL. We’ve mentioned Curlee Thomas, who’s committed to Cal. There at least another committed DL in communication with Arkansas.

When you can’t even make the opposing QB hurry passes, and he is a competent SEC QB, your secondary will get burned.

3 Likes

I think until we start stockpiling DL that are high quality players we won’t see our defense take off like we want it to. I don’t really see any that fit that category out of our current commits I could be wrong but I’m not sure we have any. I love two of the linebackers were bringing anything they are impact players but we have to start getting DL in here that are real playmakers.

1 Like

And we have to replace our top two DL from this year after the season ends. Let’s hope the portal is really good to us again.

HS 4-star recruits- Zach Wiliams, Mataio Soli, Eric Gregory, Jashaud Stewart

Former Hogs Collin Clay and Blayne Toll were 4 stars.

The hit/miss rate on them is too high for Arkansas, we need our 4*’s to have a higher “hit” rate.