Defensive offsides

I believe I counted 6 defensive off sides penalties against us. How is that possible? That and "prevent defense " will get you beaten every time.

3 Likes

It looks to me like they were trying to time the snap count.

1 Like

I noticed the same thing…had counted five, but probably missed one.

1 Like

From the box score, our offsides penalties:
First drive, wiped out a 6-yard loss (although the TFL may well have been the guy who was offside).
Second drive, offsetting penalties with a hands-to-the-face call on Misery.
Second quarter on an incomplete pass.
Third quarter but series still ended in a punt
Fourth quarter, gave MU a first down on the drive to tie it at 40-40.
Final drive on an incomplete pass.

So there were six, five accepted.

2 Likes

Thanks. I had missed the one offset by their personal foul.

1 Like

On the first one, Coats just flat lined up offsides. I saw that one before the snap. Should never happen. Look down the line and see where the ball is. Then be sure you line up on your side of it. What is so hard about that?

1 Like

One thing about the computer-generated lines on TV games, they make it easy to see when someone lines up offside. And it happens a lot, but is rarely called on either side (wide receivers do it too).

1 Like

Well we know we will be called for it

1 Like

No conclusive proof, but in watching it appeared our defensive line had more penalties than plays/tackles. Not trying to be overly negative, but to be a better defense, we are going to have to have more contribution from the defensive front.

2 Likes

Attention to smallest of details is hallmark of the best coaches and teams (kuddos to Bama). Lining up offsides and kicking extra points is a small detail that matters a lot at the end of the day.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.