De-committing seems rampant

I no longer keep up with recruiting like I did even 2-3 years ago. With the portal & early moves to the pros, it just seems to me who “commits” to us doesn’t matter much. Who actually signs is still important, but less so than it was before the portal.

Having said that, I am concerned with all these last minute de-commitments. Is it my imagination or are we losing more than usual just before signing day? Are we just getting out-bid in the NIL sector?

Someone please tell me I’m overreacting & we are having a good or at least pretty good incoming group of newcomers to go with some of the current players to give us a chance to be good next year. (I say next year because “down the road” is no longer a thing with the portal.)

1 Like

You’re overreacting.

After losing three this weekend our class is ranked 20th by 247 which would make it the best Arkansas class since 2008.

3 Likes

There are de-commits most every year, some years more than others, and it’s typically a two-way street, you get some, you lose some.

Any time almost all your class has been committed for months, you are more vulnerable to flips in the final couple of weeks, particularly in this portal era where the perceived ability to get playing time early may wax and wane depending on the comings and goings on the roster. NIL money just makes it more volatile.

Transfers appear to be great for Arkansas basketball although I don’t care for having a different team every year. There is little if any loyalty to Arkansas. It’s just business.

As for as football, you hit the nail on the head. There is no way to predict what the team will be from year to year. I guess it’s true in basketball as well but fewer players are needed. Transfers believe Muss has a pipeline to the NBA. But Arkansas football is viewed just the opposite as far as developing players for the NFL. Not saying it’s valid but the perception.

2 Likes

I will be brief so not as to repeat myself. It is both decomits and nil. But like most things in life follow the money. Auburn and Tam are doing well the past week. Ole Miss, Ky, Fl , Ark are losing commits (not big numbers but highly rated ones so my guess is $). Much of recruiting is personal relationships between players and a coach. In the nil world all coaches need to recruit (and coach) salaries need to be valued against the costs in nil money to get recruits. AD and coaches have to revalue the compensation structure because is different for all sports.

The discussion on this board for most of last week and early this week was about this very subject—are we going to compete in football for championships or another goals. Nil is opportunity or death wish depending on path taken.

Final note, I think a program can develop talent but it will take longer and there is a cost to that if the athletic choses to leave and takes your work and effort to another program via portal at any time. That is why I say follow the money because that is almost a given. You have to compete and portal (until changed ) is the way of life now.

1 Like

They’re always going to be decommits… I’m not really concerned because we have not really lost any of our top commits. We can very easily replace the ones we have had leave.

2 Likes

College baseball has had a lot of player movement every year as well, and that’s not a new thing.

Football has now joined the party. The new player movement reality is a lot more impactful in football, due to the numbers of players moving(in part because of roster size), dollars involved, and the fact football typically requires more concentrated team work over time to have cohesive offense/defense.

Some is NIL some is guys being shown the door as well. Why pay you when I can pay him?

1 Like

The vast majority of commitments stick.

2 Likes

It is ironic that we are stressing over these decommitments, but really REALLY want these new coaches to flips some high powered recruits our way. Good to know that we all have that will to win like 2009 wants CSP to have! :rofl:

When assistant coaches leave, players question why they picked a school. It is relationships. New coaches can stem that tide in most cases. But not always. New offers play into it, too. Late offers sometimes work. Usually do not.

I can point to late offers that were monumental like Earl Scott and Trey Flowers. But generally they don’t turn out like that.

1 Like

And in basketball US Reed was added after the All Star game a very late pick up. He played the 5 in HS (for my dear friend Jerry Rook RIP) because of his great leaping ability. Sutton knew he would be a guard in college and took a chance. Paid off quickly.

That’s not ironic. It’s about being a fan of our team. I don’t want to lose those we want & want to pickup those we can. Pretty simple

1 Like

Ouch! But the truth…

2 Likes

I was sports editor at Conway during that all-star week. Pat Foster came to watch Reed. The mornings we sat in bleachers at Conway High for practices. Afternoons were spent catching fish on Lake Conway. We were given a boat at Brannon’s Landing. I don’t know how many bass and bream Pat and I caught but it was a bunch.

Pat knew immediately they wanted Reed. He was playing guard for that week and was terrific. Not much need of a 6-2 post in the SWC.

1 Like

Not only that but players can get injured. We didn’t play first 4 games with Nick and now Brazile is out.

I’ve never been all that excited about commitments. It’s kind of like going steady in middle school. Chances are slim that you will take your 8th grade steady to the Senior prom.

1 Like

Ahhh, Brannons, the first fishing spot that I took Little Gas. Bream heaven. That old guy that worked in there was something else.

I’d give up a limb to go fishing on Lake Conway again with my Grandpa. Man I sure miss him. It’s been 26 years since he died. I miss Arkansas lakes and rivers too.

3 Likes

Me too @hawgjawbend. My grandfather was a pastor at a Cumberland Presbyterian church in El Paso Arkansas. I spent a lot of time with them in the summertime. We fished a lot on Lake Conway. I’ve cleaned and help fry many a bream from there. Every time I drive by on I 40 I think of our days there and booming bass voice singing The Old Rugged Cross. Precious memories.

2 Likes