DD/RD Can you put a rumor to rest?

I heard a rumor from a knowledgeable source on Arkansas athletics that Hall and Jones had gotten in trouble with Mike for drugs. After all of the incidents with Dustin Thomas (and probably even going back to the funny money debacle), Mike said enough was enough. He told Hall and Jones they had 30 days to clean up their act and they chose to hit the road instead.

It seems to work in conjunction with the fact that they were good buddies with DT and he was dismissed for similar reasons. It may also make some sense now that we have seen their next destinations. They figured they would be more sought after than they were. I assume others added to this. CJ may not have ever had a lot of options but with Hall I wonder if coaches may have caught wind of behavior/attitude issues and said no thanks.

Again I know little about these kids personally so I don’t meant to diminish their character but like I said I heard this from someone that is around Arkansas athletics week in and week out. This person is not one to stir the rumor mill and someone who has been reliable in the past.

Any thoughts on this?

I don’t know how many times I am going to have to say it before y’all believe me, but Arkansas did not want Darious Hall to leave and were planning on being a starter.

They didn’t run off Jones either to my knowledge

Guys who have trouble with drug tests miss games because of it and those guys didn’t.

This is a question that should - in my opinion - be asked in a personal message.

Because it does the exact thing you said you did not want to do.

It’s disingenuous to dismiss the widespread usage of pot on the 2017-18 team and the uneven way in which punishments and suspensions were handed out.
I do believe what returns would be exceptions to the problem from last season.

Widespread usage?

There are NCAA and University rules that guide the punishments of failed drug tests.

It’s black and white. There is no grey area.

I have to call foul on “widespread” usage.

I, however, do love widespread usage of the word disingenuous. One of my favorites.

Why should this not be posted directly on the message board? I know there are most likely others who are interested and have heard similar rumblings. It is relevant to things happening within and around the program. College basketball players especially in a conference like the SEC are public figures and due to that they are sometimes subject to such scrutiny. This is no different than a TV journalist discussing an athletes alleged criminal allegations before charges have been made (and that happens all the time).

[quote=“Tulsahawg23”]

Why should this not be posted directly on the message board? I know there are most likely others who are interested and have heard similar rumblings. It is relevant to things happening within and around the program. College basketball players especially in a conference like the SEC are public figures and due to that they are sometimes subject to such scrutiny. This is no different than a TV journalist discussing an athletes alleged criminal allegations before charges have been made (and that happens all the time).

[/quote]Maybe the example you used is not apples to apples. The only journalist in this discussion is Dudley and if he has has no credible information regarding these rumors, then responding differently than he did would be inappropriate. Hopefully the journalists you are using as your example are exercising reasonable care to base these discussions on solid information. Also, while we may be interested in such information, I do not think our interest should supersede the reasonable care that should be given to a reputation.

I take my journalistic ethics very serious.

I am not one of the so-called new media, writers or personalities that crave attention or clicks.

I don’t start rumors and I don’t escalate others. I simply bring credible info to the table.

It is one thing to ask me if I think the athletic programs at Arkansas have had drug problems. The answer to that would be certainly - from my time with the basketball and football programs from 1981 to now.

I will gladly discuss that.

But just as I would not attach wrong doing or issues to any athlete without any info to substantiate that, I don’t like it - and it is simply my opinion - being tossed out that without any factual basis.

To the best of my education, the two players tossed out in the instance are being throw in as guilty by association and not because they have done anything to warrant the criticism.

This is no different than a TV journalist discussing an athletes alleged criminal allegations before charges have been made (and that happens all the time).

Yes, it is. When there is info in written form that charges are pending vs. rumors, no missed games and nothing to validate the accusations, it is most certainly different to a journalist.

This is not CNN, Fox, MSNBC, the White House, the Senate, the House of Reps, Democrats or Republicans, moderates, liberals or conservatives.

We try to be fair with no agenda.

Go Dudley, GO!!!

Not to impugn Dudley, but I stand by my original statement.

There is widespread pot use on college campuses. #notfakenews

That was true 50 years ago when I was there. Doesn’t justify impugning players.

You need to bring in some credible evidence for us to take you seriously. Standing by your statement serves no purpose that I can see.

I’m an old man and an old fan! The season is over! I trust Mike completely but he’s not God. I’m 66 and kids were smoking pot when I was in high school. Give it a rest!!

Everyone is free to choose what they want to think I’ll put you in the “leave it” category. You wanting documentation does change what I actually know nor matter to me.
Those that know, know and with that I leave this for your tilting of windmills.

I stand by my factual points and my opinions on this post and the original one and do so with my name attached.

I respect the hell out of you. You are only sharing what you actually know. I can’t hold what you don’t know against you. One day, I suspect you’ll discover my reference. If not, the world turns the same.

I love message boards and learning the different perspectives people have about sports and the knowledge some share. But the worst thing I think that happens on message boards is sharing “info” and rumors about players without naming some credible sources. I appreciate Dudley and Richard sharing what they can and never making innuendoes without giving clear evidence. The rest of us should do the same.

Everyone will agree that what you state USC true. But he is talking about the basketball team and not the whole campus,