David Patrick to OU

It became obvious over the weekend this would likely happen.

Wow! A lateral move. Hadn’t expected that. One and done.

Well, crap! He was due to make $600K this next season. OU throwing more than that around for basketball assistants? Do we expect OU to offer Mawein? I will be really PO’d if Okwera goes to OU for a year now.

What made it obvious? Bottom line, what is the insider scoop on why he is gone?

His choice? Muss choice?

Making no assessment on Patrick’s coaching abilities and I know nothing about the money offered, but is a lateral position at OU really a better opportunity? Seems with Texas trying to up its game and OK. St and Kansas all pretty salty, and going to work for a Coach who has enjoyed success elsewhere but not at this level, it seems a bit risky. If getting a nice Head Coaching opportunity is a priority, it would seem being connected to Muss is a safer bet. Oh well, I think we will be fine–not sure who his connections were recruiting wise, but if they were West Coast, we hired another West Coast guy, Not sure the Australian connection was a good connection for Arkansas.

Seems like Muss may be a little hard to work for.

I just hope this doesn’t hurt our recruiting. Everything I have read is that players really liked Patrick.

Things I heard over the weekend. Would add more but I’m not going to burn a source.

Seems from outward appearances the players really liked playing for Muss, and I have no knowledge of relationships within the Coaching staff. I know that the recently hired Assistant is moving up a lot in prestige, but if Coach is hard to work for, seems he might have waited on another opportunity. I also suspect that assistants talk, so the departed coaches probably had a pretty good scouting report on Coach before they signed on, so I am not prone to go to difficult to work for, especially without passing GO and collecting my $200.

Say what? Patrick came here to work for a coach (Muss), who has success elsewhere but not at this level. And SEC schools were upping their level at that time. Also, Porter Moser has been to Final Four, which Muss hasn’t yet. That doesn’t seem risky on paper.

I have this strange feeling that Patrick needs money for his recruits and Muss said no.

[quote=“pjhawg, post:10, topic:42162, full:true”]

Say what? Patrick came here to work for a coach (Muss), who has success elsewhere but not at this level. And SEC schools were upping their level at that time. Also, Porter Moser has been to Final Four, which Muss hasn’t yet. That doesn’t seem risky on paper.
[/quote]Seems you took my post rather personally, just my way of looking at it, hopefully my use of seems is taken as seems to me and it stills seems the same way to me. Muss did have a decent first year at Arkansas before Patrick came aboard, Moser, who I think highly of, will be in his first year in a new location.

Muss is hard to work for - demanding and exacting (not just that you are busy but a very precise expectation). Patrick is trying to do the Aussie National Team (which I assume Muss was cool with) but that is a whole different level of demanding. Patrick might need some time away from the rat race, relatively speaking, as I don’t see OU under Moser being a cakewalk.

Perspective: how many of us groused that UA needed to switch up some of the coaching staff and no changes were made?

Pro/Con - recruits are obviously coming here for the system (what Muss does on and off the court) not so much relationships with assistants. That can help, that can hurt.

I see all the time posts about Muss is hard to work for. Would someone prove that please? I know he expects his coaches to produce especially if they’re getting paid well. The way I look at it if I was making between 250 and 400k a year I’d get off my butt and prove my worth.

1 Like

Take Nick Saban’s expectations for his assistants and put them on Musselman. There you go.

4 Likes

I would imagine that any successful coach would be very demanding on their staff.

A coach must be demanding of his assistants and staff or he will be replaced by someone who is demanding. General was spot on about working for Sabin and the demands he makes on everyone in the program.

One unique characteristic of Muss is his extensive preparation. His thorough scouting reports are novel and his breakdown of recruits skills and what they need to do to improve their NBA prospects has impressed recruits and their parents.

Muss will hire a good assistant coach and he will still recruit good players. I don’t think that Mawein transfer will hurt the team.

It will be interesting to see what Muss does with the 3 spots open on the roster. I think that a skilled big would be a good addition but I expect that Muss will choose wisely.

Did everyone see that the 6’ 10" post player that Patrick recruited to us just left.

Mutual parting.

And waited until after May 1st, otherwise he would have owed Arkansas $400k, it’s been in the works for awhile.