Curious if other codgers have noticed the attention span shortening..............

…in young people that drives me up the wall and seems to me to be getting worse? I watched Swine’s video on the UofA’s Smith Center that he posted elsewhere and wondered why they left a lot of stuff off the video? Then it dawned on me that, if they keep it under a music video in length, they HAVE to leave a lot of stuff out.

I regularly get frustrated with my adult children and with similar aged clients or associates (now that I am very late in my career) basically skimming the first couple of comments in emails, articles, or letters and never getting to the details at all. Maybe it is just me. Has anyone else noticed this? My examples are lawyers, architects, engineers, and successful business folks who, if they are at or under 40 just can’t seem to grasp or be bothered with all of the details.

Maybe it is just me. I HAVE been accused of telling folks how to build a watch when all they wanted was to know the time. So, I am asking the other codgers on the board, all of you Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy fans out there, to tell me if it is just me or is this happening all over?

I have noticed this as well. I am only 48, but it drives me nuts how people cannot be bothered to read an email in its entirety. I have learned to keep it tweet length just so they catch what is going on.

It’s infuriating.

How this is most often manifested in my professional experience is that I’ll send someone an email and ask two or three questions. They’ll respond and answer the first question only.

I’m then left to wonder if they even read the second (third) questions, or did read them but purposely chose to not answer them.

This wasn’t the case the first 10 years or so I used email, but has more and more frequent over the last 10 years.

I tried numbering my points and even that does not work. They usually respond to the first couple and then act like “they will get to the others if they come back hoping they will just go away.”

To take it a little further for business situations, short attention span plus lack of English skills and/or abbreviations for everything… and it really doesn’t matter what level of corporate America you are dealing with, it is a degenerative failure of the smart phone obsessive love fest. The sad part is, it will only get worse and the trend is leading to expensive business misunderstandings and lawsuits that will cost otherwise bright people money and jobs.

[quote=“Hogsrus”]

To take it a little further for business situations, short attention span plus lack of English skills and/or abbreviations for everything… and it really doesn’t matter what level of corporate America you are dealing with, it is a degenerative failure of the smart phone obsessive love fest. The sad part is, it will only get worse and the trend is leading to expensive business misunderstandings and lawsuits that will cost otherwise bright people money and jobs.

[/quote]Guess this is time for us codgers to vent, but as a former HR professional, I was often shocked at the very outstanding grade points of younger applicants who too frequently only seemed semi-literate to me! I have heard different ones talk about the failures of our education system, and yes I know there are some extremely bright younger people, but guess I see a lot of what they say. Giving credit where credit is due, it does seem that even where some of the skills appear lacking, many do not lack in creativity and unfortunately many do not lack in their expectations of what the organization should be doing for them.

I made it all the way to I Love Lucy. Guess. I’m an old codger. And yes I think just like you. Many don’t make it thru my emails and answer ALL my questions.

Do folks actually e-mail anymore? All I get are texts when I actually prefer a phone call.

I’m a codger too, but I prefer texts to phone calls in most circumstances. And I e-mail a lot.

What r u guys talking about?

The best use of shortening is Fried Chicken.

Nice! :smiley:

This old codger has noticed ethics in younger population way below standards I was taught and still expect.

Sackett, I been meaning to ask you this…is your handle based off the Sackett’s of Louis L’amour?

I am so glad I am not an old fart like all of you. GET OFF MY LAWN!

If SackettHog is a true Sackett, you better not cross him or you will have more trouble than you could ever dream. I love that series and read them all a couple of times. I look for them every time I go through SW CO. I have figured out right where Louie had in mind. I have not found Jubels Fort in the Wet Mtns. No one has.

I have all of his books in leather. My dad left them to me. I was crushed when Louis L’Amour passed. He took to many stories to the grave.

Good storytellers are worth their weight in gold.
And then there are those of otherworldly ability
like JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling-the world creators.

Yes— love Louis L’amour— my grandson is named after me and hid Dad as number III but we call him Sackett—that is name he goes by— and yes I have 2 brothers and messing with one of us brings worlds of hurt—seriously I have all his books in hard back and paperback and when I need to forget the world and just relax my brain will pull anyone off the shelf and read again

That’s awesome. I read his books over and over and over. My favorite Sackett book is “The Sackett Brand” where they have Tell cornered under the Mogollon Rim. I also love the non Sackett book Bendigo Shafter. Also loved Last of the Breed and The Walking Drum.

I have read every Louis L’amour book. The Daybreakers is my favorite. “Tyrel Sackett was born to trouble, but vowed to justice. …” When Tyrel goes into the street for his first gunfight and realizes he was made for this, that is the most memorable scene to me in all of L’amour’s books. His attention to detail was amazing. If he described a gulley, mountain, desert, wash, etc. he had been there. The Last of the Breed and The Walking Drum are very good. It seemed he enjoyed the break from his Westerns and put more into those two because they were “new ground” for him. The variety of the Sackett cousins was interesting, from outlaw to card shark to miner, he kept coming up with interesting characters every time he needed the Sacketts to come help out one of theirs in trouble.