Curious about Briles playcalling for Burks evaluation ----

----------------- it just seemed like most of Briles trick plays mostly involving Burks mostly flopped. Maybe they created a threat that made other, more pedestrian, plays work but I did not see a lot of results from those very elaborate, probably very practiced, special plays that Briles called. I wonder what is the success percentage for us rushing up to the line after a big gain and hurrying into the next play? Like maybe success 10% of the time. Maybe that wore them down eventually but that can be the only benefit that I saw.

He is known as a creative and innovative play caller but I just don’t see it. Can someone 'splain the genius at work here so I can see the benefits of his play creation/calling that totally escape me? I am not a Briles hater. I just don’t see anything special mostly. I am totalling open to someone making me stand corrected here. Give it your best shot.

I’d just say that he’s up against the best division of a conference in college football. Great defensive coordinators who probably already are aware of his trick plays. Of course, some of them were not successful because of execution. I don’t see Alabama really relying on trick plays.

now you did it. don’t you know that this board does not allow ANY criticism of the world’s greatest OC? he’s responsible for all of KJ’s play, our offense is special, etc. never mind the good points you already made, the zero percentage completion on the Burks passes/trick plays, our poor 4th down performance, spending a 1st half not attacking Mizzou’s “12 in the box” defense, etc. he is above complaint or criticism, so keep your opinions to yourself. LOL, sarcasm, for those who tend to miss it.

GHG

1 Like

Our offensive production numbers was 7th in the SEC. But we were 2nd in rushing yards. I was not a fan of the trick play junk at all. But IMO Briles value is coaching up QB’s. See KJ and Franks as examples.

1 Like

Part of play calling is getting favorable matchups. I think Briles did a good job of doing that with Burks mostly, but he also left me scratching my head at times.

3 Likes

I think it’s a fair question. I “think” I have seen some of the set ups and plan to freeze the defense by moving Burks around. Burks scored several times with those lateral passes and deep throws and laterals. Burks just scores- period! I think Briles was too cute sometimes. On replays, unfortunately, we don’t see exactly how the defense moves to what motion Briles adds. It just seems like sending Burks deep versus sending him in motion would be more of threat to keep the safeties out of the box. I am all for having the plays explained to us though. I love learning what is really happening. All my FB play calling comes from playing NCAA on a PS2!

I am never (never probably too strong a word) those E-W plays especially against the speed of the SEC. You are not going to out run them around the corner. Perhaps I am ok with one trick play a game just to keep them honest and I don’t want that to involve a lot of “running around”.

I think he does a pretty good job when we just play football. Leave the cute stuff at home. When you have KJ, Burks, and some good RBs, just let them do their thing.

2 Likes

His offense relies on a running quarterback who, when is also a good passer, works the field. Yes he likes east west sweeps. Yes sec speed is real. We are also still trying to acquire more talent. Better blocking and more speed will allow some of those east west plays to work.

He is a good play caller who will be a head coach sooner than later.

1 Like

We have put up good numbers with Briles as the OC this year. I think he’s done a great job with KJ for sure.
The only thing I have had a problem with is sometimes I feel he’s a little too predictable, likes to run the ball on the first down a little more than I am comfortable with, too many less than 5 yard passes to the outside and doesn’t throw the ball down the middle of a field as much as other good offenses do…
I would have to be able to look at game film that shows me better than what TV does but I really don’t see a lot of complex routes being ran, looks like mostly vertical routes. I don’t see very many crossing routes, double move routes or pick routes that are hard to cover to get people open because we don’t have the elite speed just to run by people. We did win 8 games and could have won a couple of more games with help from our defense so all in all he’s done a good job.

2 Likes

I just think even if we acquire more speed, you don’t get a real speed differential in the SEC. Everyone is fast. The east/west stuff takes too long to develop. When you look at the best QBs and offenses in the SEC, they all get the ball our of their hands very quickly on passes or the run develops quickly.

2 Likes

I don’t question the play calling too much but in the 2nd half of the Missouri game when KJ was beat up I had real questions about running a reverse throwback to him. Just like the announcers I wondered why you would swing out the hurt QB.

1 Like

I haven’t liked watching Briles call the east west plays and getting Burke’s hit in the back field or on the sideline! He has wasted several complete halves of games without using Burke’s down field.
He knows more about football than I do but it just seems crazy.
He has done a good job with KJ! Our hogs are in good hands with Coach Pittman and the staff.
8-4 that’s a miracle in itself!

1 Like

I shuddered when the announcer said. " The Hogs hurry to the line". The next utterance “False start on the offense”

2 Likes

I think Brile’s made obviously made some mistakes with play calling. However , the plays when he used Burks as a decoy worked pretty well( Missouri game ex.) His offense , however is what you need in the modern game and the development of Frank’s and K.J. can’t be argued with. In time, I think he will mature as a play caller. I like the offense, for the most part , very much.

1 Like

My thought is that this is a factor; also they have some packages where Burks has been moving around like it could be a trick play and then they run a regular play.But those don’t work as well if you don’t run the trick play occasionally.

It’s like Gary Danielson was talking about during the Bama game (I was reminded of this watching the KJ highlight video I posted the other day). He observed that Bama’s DBs were squatting on the slant routes (which may be a reason we don’t run slants as much as our armchair OCs would like). Danielson said when they’re doing that you have to throw deep, even if you don’t complete it, to loosen them up. We also have to make them think trick plays are an option when they really aren’t.

And let’s be honest, the play where TB ran the option and pitched to Rocket for the score was a trick play, and it worked.

The play when Burks was in the backfield , had the ball faked to him running right and then K.J. threw to Warren in the left slot went for about 60 yds. as well. It helped start the
big win.

1 Like

First, I think that those who will be “evaluating” Burks will know if play calling is limiting the performance of an individual.
Second. I too sometimes get frustrated with our Offense…but it seems to work when all is said and done. It seems like our offense uses lots of “set up” plays that could be sacrificial in order to allow for big gains down the road. Trust me, I’m a lot less frustrated today than I was 2 years ago. Go Hogs!

1 Like

Could have also lost LSU without a lot of help from the defense.

Yeah it’s a shame defense couldn’t play like that a lot more often,about the only time all year we decided to bring a lot of pressure and it made a big difference. Same thing with Missouri

I think his idea is to make the defense defend all areas of the field and expose the weak side. That’s what I see anyway. I do think some of the stuff that did not work set up counters off of that where Burks motion drew players out of the box. We gotta have something to cause a gnash of teeth.

1 Like