Could John Chavis get Steve Caldwell to come back to the Hill......................

…Steve is the current assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Boise State. They coached together at Tennessee for a long time before Caldwell came to Arkansas. When he coached at Arkansas, he recruited the best set of defensive ends ever seen at Arkansas. That would be two old guys on defensive but a huge amount of experience!

First they have to get Chavis to the hill! Then all of the other positions can be filled.

[quote=“Hogmodo”]
…Steve is the current assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Boise State. They coached together at Tennessee for a long time before Caldwell came to Arkansas. When he coached at Arkansas, he recruited the best set of defensive ends ever seen at Arkansas. That would be two old guys on defensive but a huge amount of experience![/quote:wkl84bgz]

That would be a home run. Caldwell can flat recruit. And Chavis has spent his entire career in the SEC. We need some SEC experience on this staff. Hope both come to the hill.

[quote=“LDHog”]

[quote=“Hogmodo”]
…Steve is the current assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Boise State. They coached together at Tennessee for a long time before Caldwell came to Arkansas. When he coached at Arkansas, he recruited the best set of defensive ends ever seen at Arkansas. That would be two old guys on defensive but a huge amount of experience![/quote:176mcs74]

That would be a home run. Caldwell can flat recruit. And Chavis has spent his entire career in the SEC. We need some SEC experience on this staff. Hope both come to the hill.[/quote:176mcs74]

If there is one position that needs a great recruiter most, it is defensive line. That is the position Caldwell is coaching right now!

Chavis has not been much of recruiter personally since he started getting DC jobs, so if he’s the guy we will need at least one and probably two defensive assistants who are excellent recruiters. Morris will get their foot in the door for a lot of these Texas kids, but it will take a good defensive assistant in many cases to close the deal.

I believe Caldwell still has property on the Spring River in Arkansas. Makes perfect sense.

Steve does indeed have family property on the Spring River. He also has property he plans to retire on in Thayer, MO. His mother and father are in poor health in Thayer, and several of his siblings, as well as his wife’s family, still live in a general area around that portion of Missouri/Arkansas. I haven’t spoken to Steve about the possibility of coming back to Arkansas, but I do know that he would love to finish his career closer to home.

Lighthouse

JC hasn’t done much at A&M. Wonder if he still has the fire? Do we need this guy with his experience or a younger upcoming coach that has the want and proof he can get it done recruiting and on the field?

Caldwell got us Wise, Flowers and philon. Need we say anymore. He has eye for talent going back to the constant Tennessee DL that went to league

If Chavis comes, he doesn’t have to be a great recruiter if he can pluck Caldwell back here and maybe one other defensive coach be a standout recruiter. As much as we need defensive recruiters (and we do), we need solid defensive coaches who can change the culture on that side of the ball.

If Morris gets Traylor to join this staff then there will be less pressure on Chavis to recruit. Caldwell is a great man and coach, that would be a home run hire for us. We have to surround them with new young innovators.

Even with Traylor on board we need some big time recruiters on the defensive side. I’d love to have Caldwell back but not excited about Chavis at this stage or ever frankly. That said whoever we get as a DC can bring Caldwell home.

letting Steve Caldwell go was a huge mistake! He knows how to coach SEC level DEs and can recruit like no bodies business.

Please bring Steve Caldwell home!

He has not done much with the talent he has had at A&m, so I just can’t come here and see him turning around this defense … We might be just going off the name and not looking at the actual facts that his defense has been producing over the years…

I think a lot of OCs and DCs have hot streaks and cold spells, for any number of reasons. Even guys as good as Bud Foster at VTech have had some years where the defense was just down a bit. Dave Womack and Jim Chaney come to mind as a couple of guys who have had some big hills and a couple of fairly deep valleys along the way. Monte Kiffin had some great defenses and some that were below average. Being the flavor of the month does not make the guy a sure thing at his next stop, nor does poor results at the last job.

So some proven ability to scheme successfully, a proven ability to run a defensive staff, and a personality/philosophy fit with the HC are probably more important to me than the guy being a red-hot coordinator at the time of the hire.

[quote=“nlrbuzzard”]
I think a lot of OCs and DCs have hot streaks and cold spells, for any number of reasons. Even guys as good as Bud Foster at VTech have had some years where the defense was just down a bit. Dave Womack and Jim Chaney come to mind as a couple of guys who have had some big hills and a couple of fairly deep valleys along the way. Monte Kiffin had some great defenses and some that were below average. Being the flavor of the month does not make the guy a sure thing at his next stop, nor does poor results at the last job.

So some proven ability to scheme successfully, a proven ability to run a defensive staff, and a personality/philosophy fit with the HC are probably more important to me than the guy being a red-hot coordinator at the time of the hire.[/quote:1qpxfl24]

Good point, but he still going to need some talent to get the job done…

Or maybe Sumlin wouldn’t let the Chief go full tilt boogie in practice much like Petrino was here.

I have to admit Chavis wouldn’t be a wow hire for me at this stage. For the most part, the Hogs always played LSU tough when he was there and even played TN tough when he was there so eh, not really a home run.