Conner Vanover (Tubby Smith Fired)

I realize their are no more available 2018 scholarships barring a transfer at seasons end.

Now onto hypotheticals, say in my opinion the most likely candates Gabe Osabuohien or C.J. Jones transfer’s.

Is he Conner now (with the present window of opportunity not open but cracked) a major target no matter the future decision made by Daniel concerning the NBA?

He was previously lighlty recruited by the staff with eyes focused on Reggie Chaney.

His stats at Findley Prep 11pts 9 rbs 2 blks per game

[youtube]rp9n6E-x4gk[/youtube]

If they didn’t think Connor fit the system back then, I don’t think they will be changing their minds now.

I like the kid, like his family and like his game, but not as an interior offensive threat or defensive one.

But if Gafford does come out - something I don’t think is going to happen presently because of talking to people around him - I think they would look more for a graduate transfer or junior college player top balance out the classes.

I don’t think CJ or Gabe O or going anywhere. They see much playing time ahead of them.

CJ and Gabe are not going anywhere, IMO. I could certainly see Vanover moving on to another school, depending on who Tiger High hires as a new coach.

[quote=“nlrbuzzard”]

CJ and Gabe are not going anywhere, IMO. I could certainly see Vanover moving on to another school, depending on who Tiger High hires as a new coach.

[/quote] Pssst…it’s Penny

Man Dudley, I hope you’re right on this one. Would be amazing to watch a second year of Big Dan on the hill!

Always caution that is what I am hearing now.

He will certainly put his name in the draft, go through workouts and assess his situation and then make a final decision.

I keep hearing this same line of thought. Has there ever been a slow, 7’+ person with average athletic ability play for Nolan or Mike? Doesn’t fit the system at all. Conner may end up in the NBA but he doesn’t fit here with this system. That should be very clear.

Man! You have been wanting Gabe and CJ to transfer for months. Lightly recruited players don’t expect to start right away. In fact, I bet those two will happy to come off the bench their entire career, if they have to.

FWIW, NBAdraft.com did not have Gafford on the 2018 draft list because they thought he was returning to UA. But now they think otherwise and have Gafford going 19th in the 2018 draft.

Most likely candidates is based on PT not at all personal preference…I really, really like Gabe’s game and I doubt he stays coming off the bench for (4) yrs. his handles are too good at 6’8.

CJ can be lethal (at times) from beyond the arc it’s just the other facet’s of his game have not improved much (imo) since his Freshmen year.

[quote]

Man! You have been wanting Gabe and CJ to transfer for months. Lightly recruited players don’t expect to start right away. In fact, I bet those two will happy to come off the bench their entire career, if they have to.

[/quote]

I’m not a big fan of either of their games mainly because I believe there’s better options available for both of their positions, but nonetheless I think CJ should stay at least another season but Gabe I think transferring and we bring in a 6-9 or 6-10 big man to replace him either a Juco or Grad Transfer

Well, in my opinion they are not leaving on their own. They are happy where they are. They will have to be forced out.

Absolutely no way they leave on their own.

They both see significant playing time ahead.

how Dudley? don’t you agree that better talent than both are coming in this class I can see CJ getting some run but whose minutes is Gabe going to take? Not Chaney’s, Not Baileys, Not Ethans and definitely not Gaffords

can’t teach height and skill. kid has a good mid range shot, and is skilled. hard to pass that up but that is my opinion. no he can’t run the floor but our half court offense stalls often, would be nice to had a big that can screen and shoot from outside. creates a mismatch. wish we would reconsider…

Connor just publicly announced that he has received his release to reopen his recruitment, and is still considering Memphis.

I find it hard to believe you can’t find something to do with a man that tall. So what if he is your 12th or 13th best player. I would think you could use him in special situations. :?

Why should Connor go some place he has no hope of starting or playing big minutes? He just is not built to run up and down the floor, and there is no evidence that he can play man against a post who does anything more than stay down low for an entire possession. Could he get better at those things? Probably, but I really question whether he could ever improve enough to be more than a minor role player for us.

If he wants a chance to play on the next level, he needs to go some place, probably a mid-major, where his skills match up with what the coach wants to do, and he can play enough minutes to get better. . For example, after watching them play yesterday I could see Carson doing well at Loyola playing for Porter Moser, or even at Davidson. But the way the Hogs play, and the way the SEC plays in general, just doesn’t look like a fit.

I would like to see him end up at Gonzaga. Mark Few would make it work for Connor and the Zags!

I said they saw significant playing time ahead

I didn’t say I did