Congrats to Pookie

Jonathan will be introduced at the game today along with the other inductee’s into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. I know this means much to him. This is an honor that he wanted. It’s all come full circle now. One of the reasons he chose Arkansas 15 years ago is how well we treat our own. If you’re an Arkansas athlete who goes to Arkansas, does well and stays out of trouble, you’ll always be welcomed here. Well done Pookie. Well done Arkansas.

Congrats! No one is more deserving of this honor than Pookie! And Numberhawg, I know you were very instrumental in Pookie’s life, and congrats to you too.

By the way, I was thinking about Pookie the other day, when I was looking up some BB stats in the early 2000s. When we fired Nolan at the end of the 2001-2 season, I was looking at that season’s roster and incoming 2002-3 season’s players. The Hogs were actually going to be a dynamite team the next 2 years if Nolan had been allowed to come back.

We would have had JJ Sullinger (transferred to OH ST & started 3 years) coming back as a soph, with Andre Igoudala and Pookie coming in as freshmen, then Ronnie Brewer coming in the next year. What a great 4 player group to build a team around. Geez, makes me a little sick just to think about it.

Anyway, really great news about Pookie.

I got to congratulate him on Friday night. It was awesome. I mentioned you, and he grinned.

(I worked as a volunteer at the event.)

Sorry to hijack the topic, but WOULD we have had Iggy? I thought he came ONLY because of his Michigan-area connection to Heath.

I’m confused. Iggy had signed his LOI when Nolan was the coach. He never came here. Right after Nolan was fired, he requested to be let out of his LOI, which we allowed. He then went to AZ. As far as I know, he had no connection to Heath.
http://static.espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002 … 55306.html

My bad; you are correct. I was thinking about Olu Famutimi.

Amazing how the mind slips as we age. :oops:

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Oh, I know all too well. My problem though, is I can remember what happened 40 years ago, but I can’t remember what I did yesterday. Unfortunately, I have a clear memory of Saturday evening though.

Olu. Ah another basketball gods curse on the Hogs. A top 5 High School and AAU player. Unbelievably explosive player. After he signed with Arkansas, he blew out his knee in his Sr year of HS. He was still a good player for us, but never was able to recover completely from that awful injury. That was a particularly nasty curse, as it affected his basketball future too. Speaking of memory, I should have included Olu in the class with Ronnie as a 5th player.

Once again, Numberhawg, sorry to steal your thread. Congrats to Pookie again!

Oh my goodness…this thread was stolen…only made better!

After Nolan was fired, Pookie and I tried to reach out to Iguadala. We were able to get his phone number and left a couple of messages but he never returned either of our calls. Next thing you know…he’s off to Arizona.