Comments on Crowd Today

To put my post in perspective, my last Hog BB game was during the Stan Heath era. Today’s crowd late reminded me of those good games during Nolan’s good years with Corliss & crew, and the few years right after Corliss. I was so happy to have my three teenage boys at today’s game & hear/feel the electricity in the crowd as we roared back & took the game to OT. They are now officially hooked!

I got one of the boys that’s been tainted by LSU grandparents but there he was today buying a Razorback hoodie & calling the Hogs. Good times!

Was today’s crowd typical of this year or not?

I haven’t made it to a game this year, but my sense from watching on TV is that the crowds this season have been lively, but none of them are as large or energetic as today’s. Once the team started to cut into the second-half lead the crowd got into it and stayed there.

This was easily the best crowd this season, but there have typically been at least a couple of games like this each season since Mike was hired in 2011. Today’s atmosphere was a perfect storm of an exciting game, several big moments and a win. That doesn’t always happen when the big crowds show up.

It was incredibly loud once the Hogs got back in the game. But that was the problem. The crowd was almost totally reactive to the team, rather than trying to fire the team up on defense, for example, by getting loud when we were ten points down. At times it was almost tomblike. We certainly don’t need ushers telling fans to sit down when the scoreboard is displaying STAND UP! GET LOUDER! The fans could do a better job giving the tesm some energy to feed off of when things aren’t going so well instead of sitting on their hsnds waiting for s big play. It’s a two-way street.

[quote=“EuroHog”]

It was incredibly loud once the Hogs got back in the game. But that was the problem. The crowd was almost totally reactive to the team, rather than trying to fire the team up on defense, for example, by getting loud when we were ten points down. At times it was almost tomblike. We certainly don’t need ushers telling fans to sit down when the scoreboard is displaying STAND UP! GET LOUDER! The fans could do a better job giving the tesm some energy to feed off of when things aren’t going so well instead of sitting on their hsnds waiting for s big play. It’s a two-way street.

[/quote]This is where the spirit groups need to take the lead. The Hog Wild Band was a master at it.

Hogwild Band is great, but I do miss the days of Jim Rofken running around getting the crowd going when they played the William Tell Overture…Wished SOMETHING LIKE THAT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN, even if it was a student doing it or a band member…

I remember they tried for a while when they first moved over to BWA, but it just didn’t work because it obviously wasn’t built the same as Barnhill. That whole run/cheer thing was kind of unique to the configuration of that arena.

[quote=“Hogdr”]

To put my post in perspective, my last Hog BB game was during the Stan Heath era. Today’s crowd late reminded me of those good games during Nolan’s good years with Corliss & crew, and the few years right after Corliss. I was so happy to have my three teenage boys at today’s game & hear/feel the electricity in the crowd as we roared back & took the game to OT. They are now officially hooked!

I got one of the boys that’s been tainted by LSU grandparents but there he was today buying a Razorback hoodie & calling the Hogs. Good times!

Was today’s crowd typical of this year or not?

[/quote] Great read, I will be at LSWHO GAME! WPS

Great crowd yesterday. But … It was not quite as loud yesterday as the two games against Texas and Oklahoma in Pelphreys first season. Those two games it was raucous in BWA. Interesting that Barnes was there for one of those.

The band can, and do, blow their brains out, but if the crowd sits on its collective hands, which is precisely what happened last night, it is in vain. Today Wally wrote, “The crowd lifted its team…”, but the reality was the opposite. When in the first half a lady stood up in an attempt to exort the crowd into action, she was told by an usher to sit down. In the second half, the same usher brought a sheriff’s deputy in to help seat the fan. The deputy appraised the situation and rightly determined the fan was acting appropriately. The fans need to be much more proactive and make noise when we’re behind and playing defense, not acting like some of the posters we find here who are all gloom and doom when we fall behind early. Haven’t they learned the M.O. of this team yet, after all these years?

I disageee completely that it was “tomb-like”.

I thought the crowd brought it pretty good form the tip. UT did a good job of slowing things down and our play was off. But I thought the crowd was fine throughout.

When they reacted to great play by the team, sure. But the crowd did not initiate any noise on its own until the end of the game. Granted, it was incredibly loud then. Good thing we got there.

My ears are still ringing from the game yesterday , they hadn’t done that in years. :smiley: :smiley: It was not tomb like at all.

We absolutely don’t need ushers telling fans to sit down when we need them standing. What’s that all about?

We had a blast at the game. The crowd was excellent , considering there were not many students there to get the others going as they usually do. As another posted , Tennessee did a good job of keeping the crowd out of it as well. It was never “tomb like” in the arena.

Refer to my other post in this thread for more info on the usher. I have nothing more to say about the passivity of the crowd through the majority of the game, as I have stated it was incredibly loud at the end; but some seem to have a problem with either reading comprehension or the concept that the crowd could actually be reactive to the team and come alive late in the game. My point is that the crowd needs to learn to be proactive and feed the team when they are behind.

Oops, I need to run. I have to start working on my reading comprehension skills.

[quote=“EuroHog”]

The band can, and do, blow their brains out, but if the crowd sits on its collective hands, which is precisely what happened last night, it is in vain. Today Wally wrote, “The crowd lifted its team…”, but the reality was the opposite. When in the first half a lady stood up in an attempt to exort the crowd into action, she was told by an usher to sit down. In the second half, the same usher brought a sheriff’s deputy in to help seat the fan. The deputy appraised the situation and rightly determined the fan was acting appropriately. The fans need to be much more proactive and make noise when we’re behind and playing defense, not acting like some of the posters we find here who are all gloom and doom when we fall behind early. Haven’t they learned the M.O. of this team yet, after all these years?

[/quote]That usher needs to be reported.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

I’m reminded of my trip to Germany where I was able to attend a Bundesliga soccer match. I was in the blue hair section, not down with the rowdies behind the goal. I soon discovered if you stand up in that area during the normal course of play, they will tell you to sit down – and they mean it. I’m pretty sure repeated violations would have resulted in my removal. But in the rowdies section, there are no seats at all; they stand up for two hours, sing, wave flags, etc.

But that’s German soccer. Not SEC hoops. Darn right that usher should be reported. In BWA there are 19,000 rowdies, or should be.

I have spent a lot of time standing at UA hoops games over the years. The TN crowd was the first time since 1996 that I thought the energy was there. I didn’t attend many during the Heath/Pelphrey era, so I don’t know about the OU and TX crowds mentioned earlier.

I thought the crowd was fine, especially late. It is in our DNA - we will remember how to be “that crowd” but it take moments like the final 5 in regulation + OT to “remember.” You could tell folks were going, “ah, yes, I remember now.”

Chill and enjoy watching the evolution of BWA back to its glory days.