Comment by CMA

About Gabe

When asked why he didn’t play:

“I wanted to play him. As a matter of fact, he should have been playing. Gabe can help us”.

???

I swear sometimes I get the feeling he is just flying by the seat of his pants during games.

When asked about any player whether it is CJ or Gabe or Dustin, isn’t that what he always says. I am sure he did not see a good opportunity for Gabe based on how the game was going since we were playing from behind and needed points. And we know right now Gabe cannot provide the offense. But you are not going to get the coach to say that and destroy Gabe’s confidence in a public setting. All coaches do that.

But your conclusion does satisfy a preconceived notion, so I am not blaming you for reaching that conclusion, I would have done exactly the same.

Nailed it.

Same way at practice. All he does is roll a few balls out on the court then goes back to his office and watches YouTube videos and comments on fan forum sites.

I don’t have preconceived notions.

My notions are based on observation of years of performance. And nearly fifty years of being a Hog basketball fan.

And your idea that “we needed points” as the reason he didn’t play is just nonsense. We don’t get points from that position anyway. I think a little rebounding might have helped, which is something he does well.

Bahahaha finally my dilligence reading thru all the garbage posts on here is rewarded with a true gem! Does he have that YouTube red subscription tho? U would think the way we are paying him he shouldn’t have to sit through commercials watching YouTube at practice.

Well, when team is playing from behind, coaches usually play the players theybtrust most, whether it is rebounding, not turning the ball over, score points. That is when you see some players log a lot of minutes.

It may not be clear to you, but it is clear to me that the coach trusts Gabe the least right now and plays him in situations where it feels right to him. There is no question, however little it is, today Dustin, Cook and Bailey are more trusted in the overall game than Gabe and I can see that watching them play.

I guarantee you Mike did not forget Gabe. If he thought Gabe could help him yesterday, he would have played.

There aren’t enough minutes to play four different players at the four barring horrible foul trouble. Because Bailey has played well since recovering from his illness, I’m not exactly shocked that CMA went with the three most experienced players in a road game. He tried Gabe at Bama, and he turned the ball over against pressure D similar to what Mizzou was playing. Gabe will play plenty next season.

There aren’t enough minutes to play four different players at the four barring horrible foul trouble. Because Bailey has played well since recovering from his illness, I’m not exactly shocked that CMA went with the three most experienced players in a road game. He tried Gabe at Bama, and he turned the ball over against pressure D similar to what Mizzou was playing. Gabe will play plenty next season.

Very well put

If you have ever coached a team at any level, you go with your gut feeling to make moves. It is based on what you have been observing during other games and in practice. Sometimes you’re right, sometimes you’re wrong.

Sigh…

I never said he should have played Gabe

In fact I never gave it a thought.

I was really just commenting on how silly it is to say what he said.

Let me make myself clear on how I stand on Mike.
I think he is a somewhat above average coach all things considered. I think he is a genuinely fantastic person and outstanding leader of young men, as far as life lessons. I think he stubbornly attempts a style of play which leaves us open to looking really bad at times. I do not think he is bad enough to be fired. I am not calling for him to be fired. I wish he would change some things which could lead to more consistent success.

Some apologists on here have excuses for everything he does, though.

I hope you aren’t being serious, but I don’t see any sarcasm emoji.

I wish all of you could come to a practice and watch it.

If you did, you would know the comment up above is idiotic.

Very poor attempt at sarcasm

Your comment of “flying by seat of the pants” is what is troubling. Don’t know if that is what you think of Mike or you were sarcastic.

Mike’s system has won so many games and lost so few. Why change the style that has put him where he is. It is possible that if he changes the style, some of the games we win may come out as losses. You stick to what you believe in and if you don’t play it often enough, players will never learn it.

And it is not as if other teams are not losing games. I don’t see them altering their style just because they lostvfew games. In some games it works. In same games it doesn’t. It depends on execution by players and what the other team does.

I thought your post was a contender for post of the season

won “so many games”
And lost “so few”

I guess we just have different definitions

Career coaching winning percentage 66%
Percentage at UA 64% (57% in SEC)

One conference championship in his second year at UAB

The record suggests what I have said
Somewhat above average

And by the way, I don’t put any value in saying “not like other teams are not losing games”. That is such a simplistic statement. Every game has a loser, of course. What you are suggesting is that I should be happy winning 57% of conference games.

Sorry, we are not gonna agree on this one

I don’t mind you wanting to better than 57% at conference games. And we did that in 2014-15 at 72% and 67% in 2016-17. Now you may want 72% every year and there is nothing wrong with that. I want the same. But what I take offense to is your statement of “flying by the seat of his pants”. I hear an entirely different thing in that than not being happy with 57%.

If you’re going to start posting numbers and claiming someone is only “somewhat above average” at least have the decency to provide the data/statistics on how he is performing among his peers so everyone can see the whole picture. He’s been the second most consistent coach as far as wins in the SEC. The past 4 years only 1 coach has more conference wins and that’s Calapari. So, while you may not be happy with his winning percentage and think he’s doing a “somehwhat above average” anybody that has watched SEC basketball knows CMA has done a great job at Arkansas and has the program on rise. And I think most Razorback fans realize that, that’s why Bud Walton was sold out for most of the SEC season.

This kind of discussion is what will always happen when you are talking about mediocrity. There are positive points to be made, and negative ones as well.

The final result is just sort of “meh”

This was a year Arkansas should have contended for the conference championship. Kentucky obviously not vintage, Florida all over the place.

And we lose two games to LSU and another to MSU. And yes you can make excuses as to why we lost those games (LSU Was very hot, we had an off night shooting, refs robbed us, etc)
But in the end I see coaching failures over and over again.

Like I said, we are not gonna agree. This is a decisive subject because there is truth on both sides. We are just “meh” when it comes to results.

2nd vote from me, that’s Gold Jerry, Gold!

I don’t understand the original post. The coach was asked a question about a player and had two options, either talk about why the kid didn’t play, which would be negative, or use coach-speak. He went with coach-speak to avoid listing the issues that kept the kid out of the game or just saying he’s not as good as the other guys right now, and got criticized for it. Wonder what the post would’ve been if had actually answered the question? My money is on “CMA is throwing a kid under the bus…”