Cody Scroggins update

It sounds as if Cody Scroggins might pitch in 2018 after all. Scroggins, who had Tommy John surgery in March, is throwing off the mound now and has hit 90 mph. He will throw against live hitting in January for the first time since his surgery.

That isn’t to say he is going to be cleared to throw when the season begins, but this is a much more optimistic prognosis than a couple of months back. His rehab has gone well. I had previously posted that I didn’t think it was likely he would be able to pitch in '18.

Scroggins was thought to be a candidate to close games going into last season. That would be a good arm to add to the bullpen rotation.

Wow! That’s the opposite of what usually happens to the Hogs.

This team seems to have the best depth that a Razorback team has had in years.

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

Wow! That’s the opposite of what usually happens to the Hogs.

This team seems to have the best depth that a Razorback team has had in years.

[/quote]TBH, I just hope the kid eventually is healed enough to pursue his dream of professional baseball. It’s great that he’s feeling this much better now, but I’m not counting on him - at all - for this upcoming season.

IF he actually plays for us this year - great! Fortunately, we’re in the rare position of having enough prospects that it probably won’t hurt us much if he cannot contribute to our season. And I’m fine with that. So, we’re good either way.

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

It would give Coach Van Horn more options out of the bull pen! What’s best for the young man is most important. Cody is a good young man and I pray he is healthy and able to achieve his goals.
This pitching staff may be able to set an ERA and strikeout record this season. We are blessed to have the chance to watch the diamond hogs this years. Can’t hardly wait for the first pitch!

This team is going to be deep in pitching and all around the diamond. I see a stacked team. No wonder it’s ranked third nationally. Scouts really love the talent on this team.

Vitello had a unique ability (or maybe just luck) to recruit talent that made it to campus.

Tony told me once that his philosophy was to look for players who showed the promise of blossoming when they were around 19 or 20, instead of 17 or 18. He knew they would be pro prospects, but ideally not until after they were in college.