Really scary stuff.

bump

Great read Clay.

Hoping we can turn this around.

But still a great read.

Spot on, Clay.

IMO “That just about sums it up”

A touch of gifted, magical writing!!

That’s a complete picture of tha AD challenges in your writing. I’d say it will be ugly too! Boosters and Trusteea basically running the athletic department !

Great read Clay. Wading through the waters of needing funding from powerful and/or wealthy people to help pay for the upgrades needed in the SEC arms race is tough. Obviously. So in some ways you kinda have to feel for Jeff. But in other ways you scratch you head and say “Jeff - what were you thinking”?. As soon as Jeff was hired my nieces neighbor (a long time athletic department employee) was fired. The stories he told my niece about the new administration caused me to cringe a little. And when I saw some of the other folks that were dumped I cringed a lot. So in some ways I understand what has happened. I’m certain (without knowing Jeff) that he had few (if any) second thoughts about these actions. It’s just business. And that (to me) is the theme of Clay’s insights.

Jeff made his own bed. No doubt. Following an icon has risks. And make no doubt being from “up North” didn’t help. Having traveled across our country for the past 34 years I’ve experienced dealing with people who are like Jeff. Most are good folks but don’t have what we would call back home “good manners”. Which means they will say what’s on their mind (which I’ve learned to really appreciate) but sometimes in a curt way. It rubs some raw. The part about Jeff wanting to be called “Coach” also (to me) says a lot about him. You earn the title “Coach” from people who respect your leadership of young men and women on the field. In the end Jeff did not earn the respect of a lot of people that had power to remove him from his position.

And what about the BOT? I’m sure that some of Jeff’s business practices will be leaked and I’m sure there were issues in those. Hopefully nothing really sinister. I would guess that those were just a tipping point for his removal. The timing of this move is bad. Really bad. But apparently part of the issue was that they didn’t want Jeff to hire the next FB coach. That I understand. My questions for the BOT and other folks that made this decision.

1. Do you have a great AD lined up or a short list of home run hires?
  2. Was this a play to offer Gus?
  3. If #2 is correct - how do you expect to hire a great AD when the powers that be make the moves noted above?

Sorry for the rambling post. Just confused anndd worried about the future for our beloved Arkansas Razorback programs.

It is a good read and it offers a good perspective on the situation. To get the entire perspective you need to read Wally Hall’s column today. I always read Wally’s column but I never considered myself a huge fan. I guess it goes back to the days when Arkansas had two statewide newspapers. Clay’s daddy wrote for one of them and Wally was the lead sportswriter for the other. I always like Orville Henry. However…I think Wally nailed the situation in his article so I say congratulations Wally.

[quote=“AUFan”]
It is a good read and it offers a good perspective on the situation. To get the entire perspective you need to read Wally Hall’s column today. I always read Wally’s column but I never considered myself a huge fan. I guess it goes back to the days when Arkansas had two statewide newspapers. Clay’s daddy wrote for one of them and Wally was the lead sportswriter for the other. I always like Orville Henry. However…I think Wally nailed the situation in his article so I say congratulations Wally.
[/quote]To each his own.

I normally don’t ready Wally. I broke my pattern today, with the news being what it was - wanted to get all slants on Jeff’s dismissal. And I’ve gotten several.

Not surprisingly, Wally’s take was the least informative (IMO). Oh, he didn’t say anything in particular that struck me as just flat out wrong (a pleasant difference from most times I’ve slipped and read his column); it’s just that he didn’t add any real insight or provide anything that I didn’t already know.

I know it’s fashionable to bash Wally here, and I’ve occasionally participated myself (full disclosure). But, honestly, that’s not what this post is about; it’s just a response to your post about today’s column. Glad you got some perspective out of it; I did not.

As usual, you described everything well & with good insight, Clay. I hated reading some of what you wrote. Not because you’re wrong, but because you’re right.

Outstanding article!!

10 years is a pretty nice run following Coach Broyles. I am surprised he made it this long. He should have had several Arkansas people working with him. That was a huge mistake. If he had a friendly face working for him who Arkansas fans and others liked who helped to bridge the gap it would have served him well. An organization is nothing but people, and if you have no Arkansas ties in your Athletic Department you have a problem. Maybe the next guy will have Arkansas roots or ties.

I think close Arkansas ties are essential for the next A.D. I think they need to be not only Arkansas ties, but Razorback ties. That’s one reason I don’t really want Tommy Tuberville. He has no UA connections outside having been a fan as a kid. Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t think it’s nearly as important as being an alum, former player, or someone who has worked for the UA.

I’ve heard that this guy is getting support from some power brokers, including Jerry Jones.

http://www.baylorbears.com/genrel/071316aab.html

I read the article. He’s got good credentials, but no Arkansas ties. At least none mentioned in the article. He’s from AZ & has been in the athletic depts at Mizzou & Baylor. I suppose he’d be as good as any, but I don’t have any skill at all in evaluating these things. I’d trust Jerry Jones’s opinion on this, however. Regardless, I’d prefer someone with Ark ties—other things being equal.

I will just be plenty satisfied with Clays article & his take on the situation. However if you found Wally’s to be near to the same I’ll have to just take your word for it as of now.