Clay, Matt, Dudley ... Do you guys have a feel for

Who is going to replace Smith? Also, could you see all this being final by next weekend before are BIG Recruiting Weekend?

Based on everything we’ve heard, Paul Rhoads will have at least a co-coordinator title. He may be the guy after Diaco took the Nebraska job.

Sure seems like Bielema is going to promote Rhodes and hire some no-name assistant with ties to the Snyder/Fry coaching tree.

Considering his coaching career hinges on getting the defense fixed, it certainly seems underwhelming.

I like having a new DC that can make an immediate impact. Rhoads is the only one that can make an immediate impact for Spring Practice. He knows the players and their limitations.

Co-DC seems like a bad idea to me. Either the person you pick can do the job or they can’t. If you believe they can’t why hire them?
We need decisive decision making, not differences of opinion with no one holding final say
This defense needs to be hit with a wrecking ball and totally rebuilt by someone who knows what he is doing. 3-4, 4-3, whatever. Just do it with confidence and resolve. Be aggressive. If a player can’t learn he doesn’t play. Can’t tackle, doesn’t play. Plays half a game, doesn’t play at all. No coddling, no hoping, no having to constantly give pep talks. They want to be men. Treat them as such.
As Yoda says “Do or don’t. There is no try. Do not and no light saber for you!”

I agree.

If BB were to without question promote CPR from the start instead of wait around and interview more I’d have confidence in him.
When the coach is out looking for another guy and not willing to give him co-DC tag, that shows that he isn’t fully confident in him.
That worries me a little especially since we lost to Nebraska on Diaco who would’ve been a huge hire.
Maybe there is another good candidate out there but there’s definitely reason to question the confidence BB has in CPR as the main guy. He also knows this could be his last hire if it goes wrong.

I believe there were several coaches contacted during the convention.

It was well known that Robb Smith would be finding another opportunity.

You can have co-cordinators to spread the money around, but only one will make the final decision.

If the only reason you wouldn’t want Rhoads is because he got here last year, then that’s unfair to him and his resume.

Do I know he is the best coach for the job? No, but I am not going to eliminate him because he is already here

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1989–1990\tUtah State (GA)
1991\tOhio State (GA)
1992–1993\tPacific (DB)
1994\tPacific (PGC)
1995\tIowa State (ILB)
1996–1999\tIowa State (DB)
2000–2007\tPittsburgh (DC)
2008\tAuburn (DC/DB)
2009–2015\tIowa State
2016–present\tArkansas (DB)
Head coaching record
Overall\t32–55
Bowls\t1–2

Here are his years as a DC

Pittsburgh
In 2000, Rhoads was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers by Walt Harris. In his first season, Rhoads was credited with improving the team’s defense to their best performance since 1980. In 2001, his defensive unit ranked among the nation’s top 30 in five different categories at season’s end. Additionally, Pitt finished with 38 quarterback sacks.

In 2002, the Panthers defense ranked among the nation’s top 25 in an impressive seven different categories. In 2004, Pitt ranked ninth nationally with 17 interceptions and Rhoads was kept on staff by new head coach Dave Wannstedt. That decision proved wise as by then end of the 2005 season, Pitt was ranked second nationally in pass defense (yielding just 152.82 yards per game) and sixth in pass efficiency defense with a 99.36 rating.

In 2006, Sporting News named Rhoads the Big East’s best defensive coordinator. In 2007, Rhoads’ defense was among the nation’s leaders in various categories, finishing fifth nationally in total defense (allowing just 297.7 yards per games) and third nationally in pass defense (allowing just 167.3 yards per game). While the team finished 5–7, they ended on a high note by holding then-#2 ranked rival West Virginia to a season-low nine points in a 13–9 victory in the Backyard Brawl, limiting the Mountaineers high-powered offense to 183 yards (292 yards below their average).

Auburn
In 2002, coach Tommy Tuberville offered Rhoads a job to fill a vacant spot for defensive coordinator at Auburn.[1] Having completed only his second season at Pitt, Rhoads passed on the job with Tuberville eventually hiring Gene Chizik. However, when Will Muschamp resigned at the conclusion of the 2007 season, coach Tuberville again offered the job with Rhoads accepting to head the 2008 Tigers defense on January 17, 2008.[1][2] As head of Auburn’s defense, Rhoads also coached defensive backs, as did the Tigers’ last four defensive coordinators.[3]

While the 2008 Auburn defense started exceptionally (ranking in the top25 nationally in 6 defensive categories after week 6,[4] including the 2nd ranked scoring defense), the Tigers struggled down the stretch finishing 5–7. The highly touted defense fell to an overall defensive ranking of 27th out of 119 Division I FBS squads, but did finish 10th in yards per play and 15th in scoring.[5]

Based on National Championships, it seems to me that co-DC and co-OC works pretty well. OH St had co-DCs when they won the National title and Clemson had co-OCs this season. I think, if they have well defined job descriptions that don’t overlap in responsibilities, it should help with the necessary details. Especially since we appear to be implementing a new defensive scheme in the 3-4.

Exactly.
The shared title, among other things, is a way to compete as far as salary offers. Let Rhoads actually run the D, for example, but get a better assistant to replace Robb with the co-title and the extra money that goes with it.

I’ve seen co-coordinators a lot. Generally, it’s one guy making the call. One of the things that sometimes happens (and was suggested to me by a former head coach) is that in today’s spread game, the coaches divide up certain areas. They might coordinate scheme in nickel and dime situations. In other words, they do the preparation in certain areas of the cut ups during the week, while the other coordinator does those formations that aren’t in the five and six DB schemes. The secondary coach (Rhoads) might handle that aspect. The coach in charge of the front (DL or LB coach) might handle the other areas of the scheme as far as building the calls during the week. Then, one of them is going to execute those calls (as agreed upon) off a play sheet. This happens more often than you might suspect. And, it is what is going on a lot in the NFL where the minute details of the week’s preparation is divided up so that to maximize time and avoid sleep deprivation for the one guy that should be fresh on game day, the man making the calls.