Clay, Dudley and Insiders ? for you all

I was talking about the hogs today with some fellow average fans and someone brought up an interesting point.

We were discussing the situation on the staff, and the mental strength of the team.

Someone said a good firing of a few staff members might be just what the boys need to see. Saying this could be a life lesson that could go a long way.

I thought it was an interesting statement, how do you all see this or think about this approach?

Well, I’m certainly not Clay, Dudley, nor one who could be considered an insider, but I do not personally think that to be a good idea. First of all, I am not completely convinced that one or more of the current assistant coaches is/are responsible for the many poor showings this season. However, if it is thought that one or more is/are to blame, a mutually agreed upon separation is the best way to handle that situation (barring something egregious). That being said, I think that what your friend is alluding to is that perhaps a good “behind chewing”, where justified, may be lacking from this staff, but perhaps should be directed to underperforming players at times. In times of old, I believe that was justified and frequently elicited positive results. In today’s world, I am not sure that it would work as well, since it is my perception that such has been sorely lacking in the backgrounds of most of this generation such that it is not clear how it would be taken by those who receive it for the first time at their ages. On the other hand, apparently Saban is able to do so with positive consequences.

Good points… The point that was made today is along the lines of what you are saying. To show these boys how the real world works. To show them who is in charge and that the fact that they as players hung their head caused someone to get fired… and that if they don’t shape up they will be gone to… in the real world people are fired or laid off all the time for poor performance… these boys need to see that and maybe they will work hard to become men…

I’m just putting this out there… a lot of the kids have strong relations with the assistants because THAT IS WHO RECRUITED them…so, I don’t know about “firing” their mentors…, but on the other hand, lets them know that NO ONE is not expendable if they’re not getting the job done! I just don’t know. Guess it depends on the individual player how they respond to a firing… :?:

We also have to keep in mind that these are human beings with families to support. That does not mean they are immune from being fired if they earn it. But to fire someone to make a statement one should think about what if it was your job that was being sacrificed to prove a point?

For example the secondary stunk this year. It is not Paul Rhodes’ fault that he had so liittle to work with that he had no choice but to send the same failing players out there. Should he be fired? I don’t think so. In fact there is no one I would rather talk to about this season than him.

Team management should be conducted as a meritocracy. Poor performance cannot be tolerated. Standards cannot be bent, or you have none. Arkansas’s run defense was off-the-charts bad, an alltime worst performance by several standard deviations. Somebody must be held accountable for assembling the players, allocating the players, and implementing the scheme that resulted in this failure. If you do not do it now, you will never have credible standards.

I am sure that the players know how the real world works as it pertains to college football. Coaches come and go with regularity in college football. The players know it’s a business. There have been three new coaches every year at Arkansas. How many were fired? Not sure exactly, but some were told to move on, or knew it was time to move on. Chaney knew to move, or perhaps be fired the next year when his contract wasn’t extended. Most have seen coaches come and go as far back as high school. It is the real world. They know it. Most were not there for Bobby Petrino’s firing, but they know about it. I expect there to be changes. How many will be public firings? Not sure. Some may be allowed to take other jobs before being fired and they will do that to avoid it. Easier to get a job when you have a job.

Mr. Reece, you are obviously saying, based on merit, there are folks within the coaching staff not performing up to the standards of their contracted job descriptions. Mismanagement of one’s duties.

Fairly obvious that many on this board agree and feel we need assistant coaching changes, including at least one coordinator position. IMO, the questions shouldn’t stop with the assistants.

But it’s just as obvious that the AD thinks or thought that BB has the answers for the long term. So, I know he is safe, maybe even out to 2020.

By all accounts BB is a good man; had some success winning in another conference.

But neither of those has helped him in his quest of rebuilding the Razorbacks into a consistent winner. Let-a-lone, a conference championship.

What have we seen from our HC after a fourth season that gives one any comfort he has the ability to manage a program back to respectability that had sunk to the depths of the Arkansas football program after the 2012 season? And I’m not referring to good deportment or good grades, rather good or better on-field football.

He will, without doubt, get the chance to prove he can do it. And we should hear more about it that than the annual “look at the program from A to Z.”

One of the things I like about CBB is he will take the blame. He will take the blame sometimes when he is not at fault.
That defense that we have seen the last two seasons is on him. He knows it. He allowed it to happen. He was in on the recruiting decisions. He was in on the redshirting decisions. He knows all of this.
The fingers are being pointed at Robb Smith and deservedly so. But no one knows what Smith is capable of better than CBB. If he thinks there is still something there with some tweaking then Smith might not be sacrificed. But I do not envy this call for CBB. Smith seems like a really good guy who has put his heart into this job. CBB could have ordered him to play a more aggressive D.
My main point is some are wanting CBB to do something fast to satisfy their own impatience. But there is a lot to look at here. And we do not want him to make a mistake.

True but many want to make it to the “next level” but that is not how the NFL operates. It can be cold and brutally competitive…it is indeed “real world” so if they want to make it there they better get used to it.

I am not close enough to the situation to have any idea about letting coaches go or who or any of that. A blind man could see that there were problems. The product on the field was totally unaceptable. What was the reason? I don’t know.

I do know that a coach whould not be let go just to set an example for the boys. If they did not do the job, or were at fault in some way, sure, let them go.

For certain, something needs to change and change fast.