Clay do you think Chavis will change some things after last yr

I was just curious has anybody brought up lat yrs results where Tamu gave up 40+ 5 times.I love his pressure game but clearly teams were able to figure it last yr and was wondering if he plans to tweak some things.

I don’t get the sense Chavis is interested in talking about Texas A&M. I also don’t get the sense he plans to change his style much because it has yielded success far more than not. This is what he said at his first press conference.

“Philosophy from a defensive standpoint is not going to change a lot from what we’ve done in the last 25 years. We’ve taken a lot of pride in being a great pressure defense. We’re going to affect the quarterback. If you want to win in this league there are two things you’ve got to do: win the line of scrimmage and be able to get to the quarterback. We’re going to do that. We’ve got a footprint out there of that. We’ll change up a little bit depending on personnel - it changed the last couple of years. We’re not going to try to put square pegs into round holes, but we’re going to do what our personnel allows us to do. There are certain things that we’re not going to deviate from; it’s going to be who we are, and we will be a pressure defense.”

One thing Chavis said that has changed is his goal board. It used to be that it was to keep offenses below 300 yards. He said that is still the goal, but it is much more difficult to do now against the spread.

I think the major problem last year at Texas A&M was playing lots of true freshmen in the secondary. Experience in the back end was non existent last year, beyond Armani Watts. Playing true freshmen at safety and cornerback in the SEC will get you in big trouble. The Aggies did create lost yardage plays. They just gave up too many big plays because of youth in the back end.

They will use pressure. It’s a variation of blitzes, stunts and pressures.

I sure don’t want to blitz every play, but you better disrupt spread teams. You have to do things to force some punts.

Would you rather sit in a base defense and back up, or would you rather attack?

Jim Washburn told me he didn’t want to watch any more of Arkansas’ defense the last two years.

“I believe in attacking,” he said. “I’m like General Patton. Let your troops go forward. I don’t want to go backwards and try to reclaim lost land. Patton and I believed the same stuff, attack! Do not backup and try to reclaim those yards on the next play.”

I didn’t really watch Tamu much to know they played a lot of FR,just know the results were real bad…I believe in attacking also.its the hardest defense for an OL to block for 4 qtrs.I think you have to attack an offense and not react and make them force things and that’s how you get TO’s.thanks for the reply…looking forward to seeing us try to pressure teams.

Texas A&M lost three players in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft in 2017, including the No. 1 overall pick. That is a lot of production to replace.

Matt do you feel that A&M was a milestone for Chavis in that it was the first HUNH Spread team he has DC’d and it was an adjustment milestone? He had to learn to deal with a Defense being on the field more than he was accustomed. Did that need to pace for fatigue affect his ability to be aggressive? He had to change the culture to be more tough at A&M then it was an issue of not having the players he needed at first.

I watched several of the Aggie games last year and their young secondary looked lost at times, and the lack of a first rounder rushing the passer made it worse. The scheme was not unsound, it was the youth in the secondary and lack of elite talent in the pass rushers that made things bad. I also think that there was something lacking in leadership and accountability from the HC in the whole program.

I like going to an attacking scheme, and I think it is absolutely vital when you are running these high play volume offenses. You have to take some chances to get your offense back on the field. You trade off turnovers and stops for giving up more big plays, all based on the belief that your offense will wear the other guys out if you get enough plays.

The part that it is interesting is that Chad Morris and John Chavis will put their heads together and come up with things on defense that give spreads trouble. Chad knows what it is. Interestingly, he said the things that Chavis does is definitely what gave him trouble when he was a play caller and faced similar stuff. That tells you that both feel like they are installing the right things. I think John Chavis is glad to be at Arkansas. He’s glad to be with Chad Morris.

yes that is a great combination…looking forward to seeing how its plays out.

I’m with you. It has to be culture shock going from ball control to HUNH team. I’ve seen numbers that range from 30-50 more defensive snaps per game. I think your outlook for defense numbers have to be adjusted to allow for that. I also believe that what Chavis has been thru at A&M the last few years will benefit us.

What I’m looking forward too is watching the hogs defense being aggressive! An opposing QB won’t be taking a snack and having 10 seconds to throw the ball. Pretty simple. If I ever hear bend but don’t break defense again I’ll be happy.

I think you will be surprised if you back and chart how much Robb Smith blitzed. But, it doesn’t seem like a blitz if no one ever gets to the QB. If you can’t get there, don’t call it. And, that’s what Robb began to do. The blitzes work so much better if there is a tackle or an end requiring a double team.

By the same token, a blitz with a twist or a stunt or a late line move is so much more effective. That’s the Chavis system. And, he will bring safeties and corners. One of the blitzes that Petrino loved (and probably called for his DC) was a corner blitz. He called it a “cowboy” and it was something he said was tough to pick up and his favorite to call.