Clay a ? Regarding (your) frustration

Maybe it’s me, but after having been on this board in some form or fashion for 20 years, I feel like I can get a good read on your posts.

I’ve sensed that you are frustrated with lots of the same issues that we as fans are frustrated about.

I could be wrong but it seems to me you think Bielema is a good man and coach but that his stubbornness and tendency to repeat the same things (usually things he says aren’t excuses but then uses them as excuses) while being slow to adapt are tiresome. It seems to me you think he had to go and are disappointed on a personal level that he failed.

It also seems to me you generally like Long and think he did a good job, but failed to recognize the deep-seeded nature of some of his pushback.

You may be unable to say but it seems like you think Long’s firing was a sham and that you are wary of the committee(s).

I know that’s a lot of tea leaf reading but am I wrong? I’m really worried. I really respect your opinion and if you’re willing to give it I am interested to see your thoughts on how this has been handled and what we might expect going forward.

No, I am just reporting. I just come to work. I’ll cover new people in the future. They come and they go. I don’t think I’ve written anything or suggested I’ve been frustrated by anything other than I don’t like sitting home in bowl season. It’s no fun.

I don’t enjoy seeing people suffer. But part of the job is to write what you see. If they are emotional, break down or don’t break down and become emotional, you write that.

Paint the picture. If you feel frustrated with the picture I paint, that’s on you.

Alrighty, then. Thanks.

[quote=“TheNotoriousPIG”]
Maybe it’s me, but after having been on this board in some form or fashion for 20 years, I feel like I can get a good read on your posts.

I’ve sensed that you are frustrated with lots of the same issues that we as fans are frustrated about.

I could be wrong but it seems to me you think Bielema is a good man and coach but that his stubbornness and tendency to repeat the same things (usually things he says aren’t excuses but then uses them as excuses) while being slow to adapt are tiresome. It seems to me you think he had to go and are disappointed on a personal level that he failed.

It also seems to me you generally like Long and think he did a good job, but failed to recognize the deep-seeded nature of some of his pushback.

You may be unable to say but it seems like you think Long’s firing was a sham and that you are wary of the committee(s).

I know that’s a lot of tea leaf reading but am I wrong? I’m really worried. I really respect your opinion and if you’re willing to give it I am interested to see your thoughts on how this has been handled and what we might expect going forward.
[/quote]Notorious, I agree with you - there’s been a different edge to some of Clay’s posts in the last week or two. I’m not even sure Clay realizes the change in his tone of late; I think we all fall into that sometimes, even if we’re consciously trying to not show our feelings or emotions.

I first noticed this in Clay’s “Ten Keys” column ahead of the LSU game, and noted it in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11831&p=83161#p83161

I want to be clear on this point; I’m NOT saying that I’m reading bias or anything less than his usual standard of professional ism in his comments. IMO, it’s just his ability to relate to and sense the pulse of what longtime Razorback fans are feeling in this moment. I welcome it, and feel it’s some of his best work. He may feel differently, but that’s my take after reading him for 25 years.

I will admit to being frustrated with at least four Arkansas fans.

I was having dinner last night with my wife and sitting close to four fans who were sharing their opinions on things involving the football program.

Here are a few of the things that were said that had my wife saying maybe we should go some other place before my head exploded:

1. Austin Allen is a wussy, a cry baby that DOESN’T PLAY HURT and - they’ve heard - no one on the team really likes him.

2. Bret Bielema was actually out drinking with Cole Kelley when Cole was arrested, but the media covered it up.

3. That Jeff Long had stolen $160 million and that’s the real reason he was let go. I assume this is the off-shoot of how much the renovation is costing.

4. That Arkansas is lying about having a self-sufficient athletic program

5. Dennis - yes, Dennis - McFadden was a lightly-recruited player that really wanted to go to Arkansas State, but his parents wouldn’t let him

6. Felix Jones came to Arkansas because it was his only offer. I know this will be news to Felix.

7. That the only reason Ryan Mallett came to Arkansas was because of a girl.

8. That LSU linebacker Reggie White - whose real name is Devon White and who leads the SEC in tackles - would have gone to school here if Coach B had not told him he couldn’t ride the Hoverboard he brought with him on his official visit. At least one part of that is true. Devon did bring his hover board on his official visit.

I think we see what we want to see.

Dudley, it sounds like you were sitting next to a bunch of insurgents. See my thread about the fractured fan base for full context.

My wife could see the smoke coming off of my head and apparently there is a look I get on my face when this happens when we are out.

One thing was clear. They had no idea who I am or what I do.

Are you famous, or something? :lol:

Well Adam, tone can’t be implied on a keyboard but then maybe it can :?

I wouldn’t use the word famous, but there are a lot of Arkansas fans that are ware of who I am simply because I cover the Razorbacks.

I do know one thing - more people seem to recognize my voice in public than my face.

If you wish to go incognito, wear a Razorback hat…

I would guess it’s not fun for journalists that spend a lot of time with coaches and players to see them suffer through a season like this. Having to ask hard questions to folks that are hurting cannot be fun. At all.

It has changed in the way articles have been written lately by Clay and even some other writers on 247.

I’m not frustrated by the change its just seems that on 247 for sure is they seem to be going with the negative tone and headlines just for you to open the article.

Headline from a former writer from here, "I have confirmed… "
click the article and it says he has just figured out the hogs will not go bowling

they get paid by the click i guess

I know that is not how this site works and i am very thankful for that.

I’d be frustrated. Hard to write when a chunk of fans ware wanting to read some condemnation of the AD or HC. And, another chunk want you to prop them up. And, yet another chunk want a “different take” from those two or they declare you are politicking.

Must also be a challenge knowing you’ve spent [insert amount of time] thinking on and editing a lengthy article…and the whole time worrying about “the other shoe falling” rendering your work obsolete.

Fans are impatient as can be. Even when reading.

I agree. And, yes. Young Andrew has been piling on pretty hard. Lots of gotcha stats and small crowd pics. Seems like he is in a sideswipe competition with Kurt Voight.

They (Hutchinson, Voight, Schaap, Biddy, Bazzell, etc) were posting crowd pics and jabs 3 hours into the game yesterday. There were about 7 pics in a row on my timeline from the millennial Gotcha sports journalists.

Trey Schaap might be the worst. He took a picture (or had one sent to him) from a few feet behind Kurt Anderson (way before the game) making fun of his attire (Tshirt and sweat pants).

He wouldn’t have said it to Kurt’s face but had no problem making fun of his appearance on social media. I just think it’s weak. I try to not post anything I wouldn’t say to someone’s face.

It’s the “look at me”/click bait nature of the beast, I guess.

I do not get paid by the click. Probably a mistake on my part. But maybe not.

Generally, I write real long. I’m told that I write way too long for the Internet. That it would be better if I wrote 3-4 stories in the time it takes to write one story. More stories would get more clicks or page views.

I guess writing long runs is in my genes. I get started and it’s 1,500 words. I wish I could say more in less the way others do. My training says do not waste words. But I do.

Maybe then folks would not think I’m frustrated. (I’m not.)

I went to dinner with four pretty ladies on Saturday night. I could not take my eyes off of them and did not hear a thing from any other tables. Side note, I’m related to all of them.

I’ve liked your long stories personally clay.

I’m not a fan of the short ones. It feels a lot less intricate and informative.

I promise you that the stories you write are well appreciated and well read.

I cannot stand the click bait and have told Otis and Andrew as much.

I complained so much about their “polls” that they seem to have been stopped.

The reason i have this subscription is because of you, Dudley and Richard.

I did enjoy Otis for a while but he seems now to only cater to the complainers on the hell of a board.

AS ALWAYS GO HOGS

One … AA is about as tough as you get. He played behind an absolutely inept OLine and took the hits…
CBB wasn’t drinking with CK, but i guarantee you he was drinking heavy at Ben’s Apartment … probably wth Anderson.
The rest of that post is nonsense!!