Chavis possibility and fan enthusiasm

Before everyone gets too excited, just remember that no other school has picked him up, and there have been quite a few openings recently.

There is probably a reason(s) why all of the other schools passed on him so far. Maybe it’s because he’s involved in a bowl game. Maybe not. He’s also 61 years old and didn’t exactly light things on fire at A&M with a ton of 4-5 star talent.

Just sayin…

They did not light it up and agree the talent was better than what he’d be working with here.

I know he did well with elite talent at LSU, but what evidence is there he can coach up average talent? If he can attract elite recruiters at the other defensive staff positions that would make me more excited about the prospect of his coming.

If it is Chavis,we all need to support him and the HOGS.

[quote=“HillcrestHog”]
Before everyone gets too excited, just remember that no other school has picked him up, and there have been quite a few openings recently.

There is probably a reason(s) why all of the other schools passed on him so far. Maybe it’s because he’s involved in a bowl game. Maybe not. He’s also 61 years old and didn’t exactly light things on fire at A&M with a ton of 4-5 star talent.

Just sayin…[/quote:bym31v5k]
Agree, being 61, wonder if he still has the desire and fire to coach like he did 20 yrs ago? Hasn’t done much at A&M, head scratcher there.

Chavis would be a poor choice.

He’s the opposite of Morris. His reputation is built on great defenses from 5+ years ago when the style of offensive football in the SEC was very different & he was coaching for teams that were dripping with talent. He hasn’t adjusted to the new style of football and is the opposite of Chad Morris. Morris will surround himself with more guys that are younger than Chavis and in tune with how to defend the high powered offenses that are run today.

Chavis is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. Everybody raved about his hiring 3 years ago at TAMU.

He is or he was?

He’s had a great career. Just not a good fit with the staff being put together.

Young. Innovative. Aggressive recruiters.

[quote=“doghog72”]
Chavis is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. Everybody raved about his hiring 3 years ago at TAMU.[/quote:255fr4kf]

No doubt his hiring at A&M was widely heralded as the answer to what was needed to get the Aggies over the hump. That said, his defenses at A&M were in two years average and in the other year awful.

I’ll certainly support him if he’s the choice, but his recent results have been average.

I simply don’t know if he’s still got it or not. I’m not sure how much actual coaching the DC does. I know he has to implement the schemes & call the D, but as far as technique goes, I’m not sure he’d do as much as the position coaches. I just don’t know.

I don’t mean any harm, but he would be an upgrade over any defensive coordinator we’ve had in 15 years…Let’s not play like we have had some helluva DC’s…

[quote=“JacksonReid”]

[quote=“doghog72”]
Chavis is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. Everybody raved about his hiring 3 years ago at TAMU.[/quote:3v2qu2pu]

No doubt his hiring at A&M was widely heralded as the answer to what was needed to get the Aggies over the hump. That said, his defenses at A&M were in two years average and in the other year awful.

I’ll certainly support him if he’s the choice, but his recent results have been average.[/quote:3v2qu2pu]

If he could turn us into an average defense that would be a major upgrade!

Chavis has a good name with HS coaches and parents. He lends credibility to the staff. If Traylor comes to UofA then I doubt Chavis is required to do much recruiting. He can hire some young assistants to bring some new ideas.

[quote=“HillcrestHog”]

Just sayin…[/quote:pndwy7yo]

They do better than Arkansas but counting this year with a zero, aTm averages 1 five* a year, source Rivals.

It’s all about the players, we do not have the talent he has been working with for the past 20 years, and he is only as good as the all americans he is coaching. I do not ever remember him sustaining a good defense at A&M, let alone great. Got to be someone else less heralded with more ingenuity and fire than Chavis. I hope we pass on him.