Chavis extends at A & M

2 Hours ago
According to a current copy of Chavis’ contract obtained through an open records request, the university extended Chavis through Dec. 31, 2018. Before the agreement between both sides was approved on Aug. 24, Chavis’ deal was set to expire at the end of this calendar year.

Texas

Latest filings in sexual assault scandal reflect why Baylor should have come clean from the beginning
FILE - In this Sept. 9, 2017, file photo, Texas offensive lineman Connor Williams (55) blocks during the second half of an NCAA college football game against San Jose State in Austin, Texas. Texas is headed to its first bowl game since the 2014 season, yet some of the Longhorns’ top players aren’t sticking around to see what that’s like. Junior safety DeShon Elliott on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017 announced he’ll enter the draft and skip the bowl game. The Thorpe Award finalist’s decision came after top junior offensive junior Connor Williams opted to do the same. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)
Texas’ Connor Williams pens reflection on bullying he faced as child
Texas Longhorns punter Michael Dickson (13) kicks the ball during the fourth quarter of the TCU and Texas football game at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth on Oct. 3, 2015. (Rose Baca/The Dallas Morning News)
Texas punter Michael Dickson to skip senior season, enter NFL draft
FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2016, file photo, Oregon State head coach Gary Andersen, center, celebrates after their 34-24 win over Oregon in an NCAA college football game in Corvallis, Ore. Last year at this time, Oregon’s coach was on the verge of being dismissed and Oregon State was about to finally win a Civil War after eight seasons of futility. (AP Photo/Timothy J. Gonzalez, File)
Report: SMU considering former Oregon State, Wisconsin head coach Gary Andersen for defensive coordinator
Southern Methodist Mustangs defensive back Jordan Wyatt (15) smiles as he’s checked out on the field for possible injury during the third quarter of a game between Arkansas State and SMU on Saturday, September 23, 2017 at Ford Stadium on the SMU campus in Dallas. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)
Source: SMU cornerback Jordan Wyatt to have surgery on torn labrum
AUSTIN, TX - NOVEMBER 24: Head coach Kliff Kingsbury of the Texas Tech Red Raiders celebrates after in interception in the fourth quarter against the Texas Longhorns at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on November 24, 2017 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)
Texas Tech prediction: Can Red Raiders contain Quinton Flowers to win Birmingham Bowl against USF?
Southern Methodist Mustangs quarterback Ben Hicks (8) reacts after Louisiana Tech Bulldogs safety Darryl Lewis (38) ran 23 yards for a touchdown off of an interception from Hicks to make the score 27-3 in the second quarter during the NCAA 2017 DXL Frisco Bowl between the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and the SMU Mustangs at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas Wednesday December 20, 2017. (Andy Jacobsohn/The Dallas Morning News)
Photos: SMU embarrassed as Louisiana Tech wins Frisco Bowl 51-10
SMU quarterback Ben Hicks reacts after Louisiana Tech safety Darryl Lewis ran 23 yards for a touchdown with an interception during the second quarter of the Frisco Bowl NCAA college football game Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2017, in Frisco, Texas. (Andy Jacobsohn/The Dallas Morning News via AP)
Storybook ending morphs into nightmare as SMU has no answers for Louisiana Tech in Frisco Bowl
Southern Methodist Mustangs wide receiver Courtland Sutton (16) during warm ups before his last game playing for SMU before the NCAA 2017 DXL Frisco Bowl between the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and the SMu Mustangs at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas Wednesday December 20, 2017. (Andy Jacobsohn/The Dallas Morning News)
How Courtland Sutton did in his final game at SMU
Loading…

This story is aboutCOLLEGES Published3h
A&M, defensive coordinator John Chavis agreed to contract extension before start of 2017 season, records show
This Story is About…
COLLEGES TEXAS A&M AGGIES
Share This Story On…
Twitter
Facebook
Email
Comment on This Story
Texas A&M Aggies defensive coordinator John Chavis watches his players warm up before facing the Nicholls State Colonels at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas, Saturday, September 9, 2017. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)
Tom Fox/Staff Photographer

Texas A&M Aggies defensive coordinator John Chavis watches his players warm up before facing the Nicholls State Colonels at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas, Saturday, September 9, 2017. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

By Ben Baby , Staff Writer Contact Ben Babyon Twitter:@Ben_Baby

Texas A&M and defensive coordinator John Chavis quietly agreed to a one-year contract extension before the start of the 2017 season, records show.

According to a current copy of Chavis’ contract obtained through an open records request, the university extended Chavis through Dec. 31, 2018. Before the agreement between both sides was approved on Aug. 24, Chavis’ deal was set to expire at the end of this calendar year.

A&M exercised its option to extend Chavis for an additional year. The school is set to pay him $1.6 million in 2018, matching the amount he was set to earn this season. The extension was first reported by USA Today.

It’s unclear if Chavis will still be the Aggies’ defensive coordinator following the recent coaching change. Former coach Kevin Sumlin was fired after the regular season and replaced by Jimbo Fisher, who was officially hired on Dec. 4.

Sorry bout the messed up post

Bottom line … Chavis is staying at A & M

If true, GOOD.

Does Jimbo Fisher know Chavis is staying?

That was quite a wall of text you posted. :smiley:

I’m ok with Chavis, but there may be another that would be a better choice.

I fail to see how this changes anything? Fisher has yet to announce his DC? If he’s keeping Chavis, they should announce that ASAP. The inclination has been to believe Chavis was out as DC there bc he has not been announced as retained.

Haven’t seen anything on this do you have a link?

I don’t think that article says he’s staying. It says he has a contract extension, so if Jimbo doesn’t want him to stay, it seems he could draw the 1.8 million anyway.

But if he wants to leave and Jimbo wants him to leave, it probably could be worked out. It was a stupid move on TAM’s part. They knew Summerlin’s job was in a precarious state, yet they gave the DC an extension.

This will be interesting. Would the Aggies be willing to pay Chavis not to coach?

I assume A&M is going to have to pay his contract, so they will have to make him whole on his pay for next year if he takes another job. Let’s say he takes a job for $1.2 then A&M is on the hook for $400k

Jimbo could have announced he was retaining Chavis a week ago. The failure to do so I would take as meaning he wants someone who is involved in bowl prep. Now if those choices fall through I guess he could go back to Chavis, but that seems less likely as the days go by.

I don’t think the Aggies are going to be phased by the money involved in a buyout, given what they agreed to shell out for Jimbo plus whatever they are paying Sumlin not to coach this year.

I don’t pretend to know anything including whether or not he’s best for us, but if Chavis’ contract extension means he’s staying, well doesn’t that mean Bielema stays at Arkansas for 3 more years. Just pointing out the signing an extension doesn’t mean you stay that whole time.

very clear he is leaving or bailing with a parachute as he did at LSU and left lots of ill will over his taking the money and running. Will get the same gift from A$M. He is guaranteed 1.6M to be third highest paid DC in country, but probably not on Jimbo’s sideline. Getting really complicated because of taxes to pay Jimbo what he wants and negotiated plus staff. 30m? rumored in total. Tack another 1.6M and what is the difference? I think the financial security works against AR. Chavis has lots to do in Knoxville and still get paid. Great story to take a year off and come back re-charged. He gets 1.6M from Aggies but not going to be on the sideline. All the good faith efforts be damned and I bet he only goes where his heart desires. He may really dig Chad Morris and that is a wildcard that no one has defined, but could pull him to Fayetteville. Just does not feel right and not a lot of solid endorsement in my informal surveying. Given the current status, no one that I know in Nashville or Knoxville will tell the honest to God truth about John Chavis intentions or preferences, not even C John who is his lawyer son in Knoxville who is usually pretty communicative.

DMN has easy to read Chavis status:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg … cords-show

I wish none of this was public and then I could ask Doug Matthews what the real deal is. covert and deceptive is the way it has to be.

Why isn’t this being reported everywhere else? I find that ironic

I still think John Chavis is in play to be at Arkansas as DC. It may take a few more days.

That would be the balance remaining on his contract, $10.4 million. Due within 60 days of his firing. Which, if my math is correct, 60 days would be January 25. Happy New Year indeed.

By the way, it’s “fazed”, not “phased”, when referring to concern or worry. (Sorry, I still think like a copy editor).

Well it would be phased if he got shot by one of the Federation guys on Star Trek, or would that be phasered?

Well played… :lol:

That would be zapped.

Phasered and zapped, oh my.

I hope we can get him for $800K and then have the Aggies make up the difference. That would help us land him
the help and recruiting he needs to make us a top echelon
SEC defense.