Charlie Partridge hired as Pitt's DL coach

This is interesting.

https://twitter.com/CoachPartridge/status/831566228468690944

So much for Charlie sitting out of coaching for a bit. I was told the timing wasn’t right. I guess the reason was that it was right at Pitt and not here.

One could question whether or not all the problems with assistants and coordinators leaving Arkansas are exclusively their problems.

Clay, have you gotten any feedback on these new hires through your sources? You always have some insight into new hires…

I think Pitt is the better fit right now because we are going to the 3-4 while Partridge doesn’t have much background in coaching the 3-4. I could be wrong, but I think that’s why.

I suspect Charlie may realize Bret’s days could be numbered at Arkansas and that he does not have a lot of confidence in Bret’s ability to right the ship. He’s seen first hand Arkansas and its limitations and knows the stiff competition in the SEC West. No one wants to say it, but I suspect that is probably at the bottom of this. Either that, or Long is not very loose with the checkbook. That wouldn’t surprise me either, given our low ranking in SEC overall assistant coaches’ salaries.

Your one joke routine grew old a long time ago.

Joke? Sounds plausible to me. The $ we pay shows Long goes cheap on assistants as compared to our conference brethren. Of course, big time assistants also require multi-year deals. Perhaps Long is not willing to go that route for fairly obvious reasons.

I don’t see the joke.

I see a lot of reality, and if you don’t think it’s a reality… well you’re unrealistic.

BB was very unimpressive last season and this is his make or break season. That’s pretty well known. What’s not known is his ability to bounce back and handle controversy. Never had any at wiscy, he was handed a very good team and kept it good. So how he handles this season is pretty critical, anther 7-8 win season and it’s time to start looking elsewhere for someone who can get the job done.

That was my first thought as well, although no one but Charlie knows whether that truly is the case. I think Bret’s buyout buys him at least a couple more years at Arkansas, but it’s always a gamble to step into a situation where the fans are beginning to grow restless. We saw that last year when Clay Jennings went to Texas. Now he’s in his third job in three years.

[quote=“Saimne77”]

I don’t see the joke.

I see a lot of reality, and if you don’t think it’s a reality… well you’re unrealistic.

BB was very unimpressive last season and this is his make or break season. That’s pretty well known. What’s not known is his ability to bounce back and handle controversy. Never had any at wiscy, he was handed a very good team and kept it good. So how he handles this season is pretty critical, anther 7-8 win season and it’s time to start looking elsewhere for someone who can get the job done.
[/quote]I know we all want to win big, but if you are calling someone unrealistic, yet think the retain/release threshold is or should be winning at least nine games, then I have to question your reality. Likely little benefit in talking about what winning nine games in the SEC reflects, with your mindset being what it is, but clearly you have little appreciation for the difficulty this entails or the patience for the process that might lead to this level of performance.

As I understand the timing, BB hired the Jets coach a few days before Partridge took the Pitt job. While that’s not conclusive, it suggests that the message board assumption that Partridge was BB’s first choice for DL coach might not be valid.

The new coach is a 3-4 DL guy, and was considered very good at it several years ago by Bob Stoops, per the old ESPN article that somebody on the board linked a few years ago.

Partridge is a 4-3 DL guy, he ran it at FAU as a HC, and as an assistant at Arkansas and Wisconsin. He also coached at Pitt for five seasons before going to Wisconsin, so taking the Pitt job is a bit more of a homecoming than returning to Arkansas, where he only coached one season. He also probably needs to get a defensive coordinator job if he ever wants another crack as a HC, and his chances of getting elevated to DC/co-DC for a team making a new commitment to run a 3-4 don’t sound great.

BB does have a warm seat, but the evidence IMO is more convincing that Partridge coming back to Arkansas was never anything more than speculation, and that if there ever was any consideration given to a return by BB and/or Partridge, the reality was that the Arkansas DL job and Partridge just were not a great fit in 2017.

Good points Buzzard. I think many of us didn’t think about the 3-4 issue.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

There is some validity to this – it is a difficult thing to win 9 games at Arkansas. However, one of the reasons I am hard on Long and Bielema is that we saw Petrino do win big in just a couple of years. I really don’t want to dredge up the merits or demerits of Bobby Petrino, and I don’t want to hear all of nitpick excuses and rationales for why Bobby was able to win. Bottom line: he won.

A lot of people like me look at Bobby’s success (and it was success) and wonder why it can’t be replicated. Even occasionally. Bielema has not shown me that he can replicate that type of success – even occasionally. I truly believe there are coaches that can at least occasionally do it at Arkansas. We just need to find one, assuming Beliema is not him.

My other problem is that I’m just not sure I trust Long to find one of these guys. He did, admittedly, find Petrino. Maybe there’s hope. But I just don’t think he quite gets it.

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

See this is the actual problem. We have many people who see it as unrealistic to win 9 games in year 5 of a coaches tenure?

That’s nuts to me. He should be expected to win 9 games in year 5.

Just about any other SEC school besides vandy and Kentucky would cut their coach if in year 5 they didn’t win 9, sheesh most in year 3.

I have an appreciation for the difficulty, but when a coaches have done it before you in the same league who some would argue was stronger at the time, and also did it much faster, the be patient, we’re doing it the right way rah rah crap goes out of the door. I’m glad we have quality guys on the team, but I’m ready for a decent season!

It’s time for 9 wins, it should be expected. Enough with the nonsense, I will not be happy with an 8 or 7 win season because that’s not good to me. I know some people have different ideas of mediocrity but it’s pretty easy to see that in year 5 you should be doing better than you previously have. Therefore 9 wins is ‘realistic’ to expect.

Give me a break.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]

Couldn’t agree with this any more. Very good post.

[quote=“Hawgjawbend”]

[quote=“KeithGuthrie”]

There is some validity to this – it is a difficult thing to win 9 games at Arkansas. However, one of the reasons I am hard on Long and Bielema is that we saw Petrino do win big in just a couple of years. I really don’t want to dredge up the merits or demerits of Bobby Petrino, and I don’t want to hear all of nitpick excuses and rationales for why Bobby was able to win. Bottom line: he won.

A lot of people like me look at Bobby’s success (and it was success) and wonder why it can’t be replicated. Even occasionally. Bielema has not shown me that he can replicate that type of success – even occasionally. I truly believe there are coaches that can at least occasionally do it at Arkansas. We just need to find one, assuming Beliema is not him.

My other problem is that I’m just not sure I trust Long to find one of these guys. He did, admittedly, find Petrino. Maybe there’s hope. But I just don’t think he quite gets it.
[/quote]I know you have your issues with Long, so not worth debating with you. But as pointed out in another discussion, just because we think we deserve some wonderful coach, it is a bit of a crap shoot. At the same time we were hiring Bret, Tennessee, a very high budget prestigious program, the best they could do was Butch “Champions of Life” Jones and I know there are other examples. So the Bielema hire was actually a fairly impressive hire for Long, at the time. I actually think because of Bret’s bravado, visibility and especially because of the success at Wisconsin, the Arkansas fan has less patience and is expecting more. Not saying this is wrong, but to me it validates the ability of Long to make a good hire. I guess AD is kind of a lightening rod, Frank took a lot of hits, not all fair, and many found it easy to overlook all that he had contributed to the school so it is not surprising that Long is taking his hits too.

This year 5, year 3, year 10 stuff is bizarre to me. Yes, I understand more wins have been accomplished by other coaches in shorter times and I enjoyed those wins as much as anybody on this message board. But I think a team can be vastly improved but it not show in the win column depending on many variables. Anytime you have a schedule that sends you to Alabama and LSU and one of your home SEC games is actually a neutral site game (that we should win at least half of the time but haven’t yet in CBB’s tenure), you are already behind the 8-ball so to speak. Now, I offer that not as an excuse because we have won at Arlington, at LSU and even at 'Bama (though it wasn’t the same ‘Bama as now) in the past. But being realistic, you have to win the other three home games (Misery, the Fighting Malzahns and M-State), the road games against the Fightin’ Chickens or the Rebels to go 5-3 (counting potential losses against LSU and 'Bama) in the conference to give a shot at 9 wins. Any extra loss in there knocks out 9 wins. And we have to understand, none of these teams are going to lie down because it’s Year 5 for CBB. And heaven knows if the Hogs have 'Bama down late in the game and a bad flag flies from an SEC ref’s pocket (as has happened against the Tide in the past), that’s something a coach–any coach–has no control over. Variables.
CBP won and won big much more quickly than CBB. That’s a fact. It can be done. It must be done. I like BP the coach, if not so much the person. Wish he had been here a long time. But he isn’t, and there’s no guarantee a new coach walking through the door is going to have the Hogs in 10- to 11-win seasons any sooner. If the offensive line is much better and the defense shows marked improvement, but South Carolina is much better than expected or the injury bug jumps up and bites us big time, it may not finish 9-3 in Year 5. That’s not settling for mediocrity; that’s realistic. I am sure that CBB is not hoping to win 9 games next year. He’s hoping to win 15, but I have a feeling there may be some on this board who even if he did win 15 (very unlikely), they would find fault.

Let me break this down because I don’t think my exactions are being understood.

It’s year 5 and Bret has nothing to show for it. Having a better team every where else besides on the win column is great, but I don’t buy tickets to watch guys take tests or study or do community service. These things are great and important but I buy them to watch a goodcompetitive game that will end in a win hopefully.

So… year 5. I expect 9 wins.
Realistically I don’t think he will get it, but I expect it as what should be done.
I personally think it will be another 7-8 win season.

Now if that’s too much to expect then we will slowly deteriorate the football program into just a bad football program. You should always expect excellence and production, you shouldn’t be like well it’s year 5 but still is tough sledding out there so I’ll be ole with 7 wins. No way, these guys are well compensated to win ball games, win more than 7-8. It’s time to prove that he can do that. If he just came here to be mediocre than he’s doing a fantastic job, but he didn’t he wants a championship and he needs to show progression towards it.

He took a step back last year, so it’s time to take two steps forward this year.

It can be done, and should be expected to be done.

Will it? I don’t know, I’m not going to be overly optimistic about it.

So guess what you are trying to say is that if CBB wins 9 next year, you would support a raise and extension?