Chaney-Gafford pairing paying off

Over a decent sample size, the Reggie Chaney-Daniel Gafford frontcourt pairing has served Arkansas well this season. Took a look at those numbers this afternoon: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … ng-paying/

Scottie, in your opinion with the current roster and where Ali and Henderson are in their development, do you think Mike can afford to start Chaney? Chaney is the only backup they have to Gafford. If both start and get in foul trouble that could be disastrous.

It seems he almost has to start Bailey and see how the game develops and adjust Chaney’s PT off the bench.

However, there is no doubt the two together gives Arkansas the best rebounding and defensive tandem.

BTW, I saw Chaney up close on Saturday night and he seemed a lot taller than I had expected. He seemed a legit 6-9.

I had hoped Ethan Henderson would earn the playing and come along quicker. Hopefully he gains some ground in the next month. Adrio and Gabe will be hit and miss. It’s a shame Perry flipped to Miss St because that other big man that can dominate is what the hogs need. Maybe Coach can find a balance that will work.
I really like the fire Chamey plays with.

Them simultaneously getting in foul trouble would probably be my only hesitation in starting both. But, we’ve seen great growth in Gafford in that regard so far this season. He’s averaging only 3.3 fouls per 40 minutes. He was nearly at six/40 minutes last year. My other holdup would be that the Bailey-Osabuohien pairing isn’t great offensively, but I think you could find some success playing small for short stints if you have the right guards - ones who can lend a hand rebounding and score - in the lineup alongside them.

Ultimately I think we’ll see Mike stick with Adrio for now to see if he can pull himself out of his funk. I believe he trusts Adrio to find his rhythm again.

Comments- I had hopes for Bailey and still do although fading. Bailey as a junior should be farther along at least from my perspective if you are trying to compare his play to Qualls in his junior year. The reality is Bailey is too undersized to play the 4 spot especially against schools in the power 5 conferences, those intangibles (high motor, mean spirited, tuff hard nose pit bull mentality) he would definitely need to have for success playing as a undersized 4. I haven’t seen any of that on display thus far, as I said previously I’m still hoping, otherwise he is a 3 and he needs to develop a jumper around the elbow of the key to be a big contributor…

Not sure Perry would be that much of an upgrade

Perry avg per 40:

15.4 PPG, 12.3 RPG, 1 APG, 1 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 2.5 TPG

Chaney avg per 40:

14.4 PPG, 10.9 RPG, 1.5 APG, 1.8 SPG, 4.3 BPG, 3.2 TPG

Because of the post after this one, I decided to add Bailey and Gabe’s avg per 40. Both were much better than I anticipated:

Bailey avg per 40 mins:

14.7 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 2 APG, 1.7 SPG, 2.4 BPG, 1.4 TPG

Gabe avg per 40 mins:

9.2 PPG, 10.3 PPG, 2.7 APG, 2.1 PPG, 2.1 BPG, 3.8 TPG

Gabe needs to work on turnovers, but neither have bad numbers

Chaney and Bailey have both played very well this season. I’m fine with either in the game, and I always count the bucket when Chaney gets his feet inside the inner circle. He’s a great finisher, rebounder, and rim protector. He has great energy at both ends. I’m extremely impressed with the young man.

Nonetheless, in fairness to Bailey it should have been mentioned that he turns the ball over much less, gets significantly more assists, and has been the only forward to show any capability of knocking down a midrange jumper to this point. He’s been better at the line as well. That makes him a better complement to Gafford on offense in some respects, and offense has been our bigger problem so far. In either case, however, PF isn’t a team weakness any longer. Of course, Bailey has had a couple of rough games. He should snap out of it unless his confidence has been severely shaken.

The turnover and free throw shooting points are fair. I will say that Reggie is doing much better taking care of the ball. He has only two turnovers in four games (71 minutes) this month.

Bailey is 38% on 2-pt jumpers, best on the team. He and Harris are the only two moving the needle at all in that area.

One thing that concerns me about Chaney and Gafford together is that sometimes all the attention paid to Gafford in the middle clogs up driving lanes. As long as we are knocking down perimeter shots at a high rate, it’s all good. However, when we go cold, that’s when the O can bog down. At times the O has gotten better when Gafford went to the bench through no fault of his own. We can spread the court and let Harris take over. One of the opposing coaches (UT-A?) mentioned that. Putting another rugged post player on the court doesn’t help in those situations. Bailey, both handling and shooting, has been a better spacer, though Chaney can make the defense pay on the boards for shifting towards Gafford.

I’ve been hoping that Phillips might eventually emerge as a true arc-range perimeter threat on O at the #4 for spacing in certain situations.