Chad Morris' obsession with numbers

Clay Henry spoke with Morris this week about the coach’s background in math and statistics, and how those translate to his philosophy as a football coach: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018 … ian-heart/

No wonder I was pulling for Chad to get the job . . . knew there was something ‘special’ about him. Now I know what it is.

My degree? Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, minors in Statistics (and Psychology)

This article alone gives me more faith that CCM will succeed at Arkansas than anything I’ve read or heard about him since he has arrived. The simple deal of the piece of paper in the floor speaks volumes, it’s not only the knowledge a potential person has your thinking of hiring but also that he knows that little things and attention to details wins and loses games. Great article ! WPS

So he and Danny it ain’t rocket science Ford would have different approaches to the game.

Danny Ford did not say “rocket science.” He said “it doesn’t take a scientific rocket to figure it out.” It was and still is one of best quotes by an Arkansas coach ever.

I love it!!! I forgot about that one from Danny… :lol:

Thanks for the correction, which is much better. My memory is like a Monet painting these days, real fuzzy.

What is this Aggie Math? Maybe there are some facts or statistics left out. You run more plays you score more points, in theory. Guess what! That means your opponent runs more plays too, scores more too, so where is the benefit? If just running more plays per game generated as many more points for your opponent as for you, how does that add up to a benefit even in Aggie Land?

If he had said that your guys are used to this, practice it a lot, and will score more points during those more plays than your opponent will because they, in theory, won’t be as good at it as you are, then maybe that makes sense. Once EVERYBODY runs it, practices it, and can play the HUNH game as well as you, what is the benefit exactly? Anyone care to fill in those blanks?

Your defense is used to it. They practice against it. But, it’s clear that he thinks more points is going to be of great benefit. He’s got a great deal of confidence in John Chavis, too. That’s in the next column. That column was 1,200 words. I think I’ve got about 2,400 words to go from the interview. You will just have to be patient.

As Will Farrell says in the character of George Bush, “It ain’t rocket surgery.”

I think that what it boils down to is that he believes if he gets enough snaps his offense should score enough points to beat any body.

Chavis is tasked with finding a way to get quick stops, either by turnovers or creating enough bad plays to make the opposition punt. If the defense gives up some big plays, CM lives with it, because he wants the ball back, one way or another. What CM does not want, IMO, is a bend but don’t break defense, except in some end of game/end of half situations.

So I think we play a defense which is built on stressing the offense, and a volume-play offense that is designed to take what is given.

Morris’ plan to run more plays reminds me of Nolan’s plan. He wanted more possessions and he felt like his team would be better prepared to score quickly than the opponent. He wanted to put them in situations where they had to play fast. He practiced fast, the other teams usually didn’t. Sounds like that’s what Morris is doing.

I think the general idea is the same. I would agree with your premise. I also think they work relationships the same. Nolan was tough on players, but showed them there was love. When they know you love them, you can be tough and still get them to play hard for you. I’ve got something on that tomorrow in relation to Morris. It’s some more good stuff.