Carson Shaddy to Washington

10th round, 311th pick

What a great day! I’m glad Shaddy got drafted. Now it’s up to him to get to work

Great news!

I’m happy on two fronts. First and foremost, I’m happy for him that he’s going to get the chance that he wants - and has worked for - so badly.

Secondarily, it sends a positive message to other kids with marginal measurables that coming back and working hard to have a good senior campaign isn’t the end of the world. To go from undrafted (what do they have - 25 rounds?) to a 10th round pick is a major improvement.

I am so happy to read this. I know he was badly disappointed when he got no chance last year. He came back to school & turned into one of our best players. Great kid. Great player. WPS

Excellent news. He’s worked hard to get to this point. Hope he gets a real shot with the Nationals.

I think this is a situation similar to Dominic Taccolini going to the Padres in the ninth round last year. Teams can take seniors late in the first 10 rounds and sign them for not much money, which frees up money for other top 10 rounders.

On average, seniors taken in the top 10 rounds received just more than 12 percent of the slot value for their picks last year. If that is the case with Shaddy, that would come out to roughly $16,000 in a signing bonus.