Can we talk Will Wade and LSU for a second

So this man was really paying out six figures plus all kind of other fringe benefits?

No way in the world he did this alone. Someone high up at the school has to be involved in this. I’m really surprised that LSU has big money people that care that much about basketball.

There is no way they shouldn’t get a sledge hammer taken to their program. What’s really sad is how this has trickled down to hurt a lot of other people. How many coach’s from other teams have lost their jobs because of the Will Wade mafia? Not just losing to him but losing out to kids they were recruiting and Wade bought them.

What’s really sad is how many people affiliated with these kids were willing to ask for and take money on behalf of the kids. I would bet a lot of the time the kids don’t have a clue what’s going on behind their backs. I listened to a podcast with Merle Code(sp), he was the Adidas bag man, and he said lots of times family members and or middle men get most of the cash and the player gets very little.

There is no way that Bill Self is cleaner than Will Wade. If the truth ever comes out at Kansas it will make LSU look like church league.

I remember many years ago an article came out about how Duke got away with cheating. The author said that the NCAA would never look into Duke because they were the face of the NCAA and they were terrified of coach K. One of my AAU players would go on to play college ball with a kid that was good friends with a kid that played at Duke in the early 2000’s. He said his friend was wanting to go to another school but Duke gave his mom a job for around 150k doing filing in a office. She also got a very nice home to live in while her son was in school there. The kid didn’t do very well at Duke, mostly because he never wanted to be there but his mom forced him.

Duke most definitely paid for Zion and its even mentioned in the FBI investigation. Of course there has never been much mention of it. I wonder with coach K retiring if any of his ugly skeletons will begin to surface.

NIL can really be used to cheat but at least its somewhat out in the open what a kid gets from a deal.

1 Like

Where is the IRS in this mess? Any cash paid is subject to taxes. It looks like the FBI and NCAA have nailed down payments. No doubt that what SAO did at LSU has happened in many programs around the country. It’s my understanding that assistant coaches take the lead to give the head guy plausible deniability. See Bruce (lying) Pearl. Your argument that this has led to numerous coaches losing jobs is right on target. If that’s true some African American coaches took the fall for the (white) head guy (see Chuck Persons). Not saying that’s true but what if? A whole new can of worms opened.

Then you have the administrators at LSU ignoring this and keeping Wade. A case could be made for the death penalty for basketball there and severe scansions for football. Won’t happen IMO but should it happen?

From whispers I’ve heard hangers on and parents get the big bucks kids just get a piece. I’ve watched out of control parents the last 2 weeks at AAU games. Disgusting

2 Likes

Dook cheated to get Zion? Surely you jest :smile:. They investigated themselves thoroughly and said they were as clean as a hound’s tooth. And I believe them. Just like I believe Putin instead of our intelligence services :joy:.

(BTW, I play rec ball at UNC in the same type of shoes Zion was wearing when he blew out his shoe against the Tar Heels. Bought them afterwards for a song, for some reason no one wanted to buy a pair :smile: and they were practically giving them away. Great purchase when my shoes also fell apart after a mere 10 years of use. Given my weight, jumping ability, and explosiveness versus Zion’s, the stress on the shoes has been nothing in comparison, and they have held up fine).

2 Likes

Agree completely, Jeff. Show Cause Self is smarter than paying off kids out of his wife’s bank account, but that doesn’t mean he’s any cleaner.

I think Dook will do whatever it takes to beat UNC, Auburn will do whatever it takes to beat Bama, and LSU will do whatever.

2 Likes

Another interesting aspect of this that bears watching is that LSU tried to get this severed from the Football investigation, and that request was denied.

That the hammer is coming down on Hoops may portend some dark days ahead for the Cajun’s Football program as well…eventually.

1 Like

Wade got whacked when he did specifically to protect Tigah football. You don’t fire a coach who is about to lead a team into the NCAA tournament unless there is an ulterior motive, and that motive is next door to the PMAC at Tiger Stadium.

Because the crux of the IARP case is lack of institutional control, and that extends to the football program. Yes they self-imposed some penalties, which LSU basketball didn’t, but LOIC goes beyond their feeble self-wrist-slap.

1 Like

Please don’t say ‘Cajun’s’ Wizard, the UL Ragin Cajuns despise LSU for what they are

2 Likes

Still want to see it. Think firing Wade, the former AD, and the penalties will be enough for the NCAA. Just don’t think they’ll care

Baked, there has been a lot of national attention. I dont believe LSU can skate on this. Theyve known since 2017. Someone in admin was complicit or his threat to sue would not have stopped his termination back then.

1 Like

THIS is a very good thread. Now why in 5 years has nothing come of this?

Is it possible that Self and Coach K have “bag handlers” or a payment wing of the athletic department to handle all this stuff. Then when they get close nobody can trace this back to any HC?

Something like a Head Bagman. Paid 1M bucks a year to oversee this operation?

I have often wondered but I haven’t asked are we in any way doing some of this? Just asking??

1 Like

I agree. The FBI wiretap pretty much forced their hand, and then they found more stuff beyond SAO (the fiancee shaking down Wade for the down payment on her car is hilarious). ELEVEN players who were offered or received illegal benefits. If the NCAA lets them skate, they might as well just close down shop. Which might not be the worst thing in the world, except that what replaces them may not be a bit better.

Excellent questions. I suspect that Kansas and Duke’s status as Blue Bloods and Self and Coach K being iconic, there is a lot of pressure from the NCAA, ESPN, the Major Networks, and the NBA to look the other way. The Sports Media and NCAA have put Duke on a pedestal as the program that’s the Gold Standard. They win the right way. Coach K doesn’t have to buy players. If that narrative falls apart, the world will know that the NCAA is corrupt, and College Sports are a rigged game.

1 Like

Is it possible that Self and Coach K have “bag handlers” or a payment wing of the athletic department to handle all this stuff. Then when they get close nobody can trace this back to any HC?

Something like a Head Bagman. Paid 1M bucks a year to oversee this operation?

I have often wondered but I haven’t asked are we in any way doing some of this? Just asking??

Yes these are very good questions that nobody seems to bite on.

Any thoughts? Anyone??

2 Likes

The answer is an emphatic YES to all the above.

3 Likes

I’m still looking for answers about if the SDNY/ fbi criminal probe is still ongoing or not. Does anyone know? As of 1 year ago it was ongoing and the fbi were in baton rouge snooping around. That’s the last piece of news I could find.

2 Likes

Sad but true, I’m sure…

2 Likes

I thought 1 reason the ncaa couldn’t pursue anything yet that involved the wiretaps, until the fbi investigation was complete. Which I assume is and the feds got all they wanted.
Would the ncaa have to subpoena for those wire taps or feds just hand them over?

Also Zion and/or his family suddenly became about a half mil richer during his 1 year at Duke. But that just fizzled quickly

3 Likes

I smell a franchise opportunity…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.