Can we afford to lose any forwards right now?

My understanding is the new transfer from Stetson will not be eligible this yea, and Connor Vanover probably wont’ be either. I sure hope these rumors are not true. Teams shall not flourish
by Guards alone.

It’s all about the future. Cutting dead weight for longer term gains is fine IMO.

It looks like to me we have 5 guards/wings to play the 1,2 & 3 positions, and 5 guys to play the 4 & 5. I’m guessing all 5 guards/wings will play significant minutes and only 3 of the big guys will play significant minutes.

Only one sub for the 4 & 5 spots? That means no subs if one gets in foul trouble. Does Muss really play it that way? I would guess at least 4 at the 4 & 5 spots unless he plays a lot of 4 guard ball.

Until we get bigger wings, and better bigs, I think you will see some small ball lineups with 1 big surrounded by 4 guards.

By the end of the year this may be our best lineup:

Cylla or Chaney
Joe
Jones
Whitt
Sills or Harris

I am assuming that Vanover is not eligible. Also Joe, Jones and Whitt have length at the 2.

Wouldn’t let me post - now won’t let me delete?

I agree with you except that I am guessing that only 3 will play well enough to earn significant minutes. If he has 9 players that are worthy of the minutes I predict he will use them. Of course, I don’t really know what they will do, it’s just my prediction.

I don’t disagree, but I think our opponents will dictate our line-up frequently. If our opponent is pressing us full or 3/4 court, Harris will probably have to be on the court. If we are getting killed down low, both Cylla and Chaney will need to be on the floor.

If we are not being pressed, I think Cylla, Chaney, Joe, Jones, and Whitt would be our most effective offensive unit. Whitt can effectively run the offense from the wing, where he can also be our 2nd best rebounder. Remember, Whitt is one of the best rebounding guards in the country.

I was so excited about the prospect of Blackshear coming here at one point. I could envision your line-up with him on the floor with the four guards. Brought back memories of Villanova’s final four team, playing their great big man (his name eludes me) and four guards, who could all shoot and rebound. Now, unfortunately, we’ll have to face a line-up like that against Florida this year.

edit: the big man was Dante Cunningham

So, who exactly is the dead weight in your opinion? Before you answer, think about whether you think it is dead weight right now or forever.

Henderson. I don’t think he will ever be more then a 9th guy off the bench.

There will be days, indeed many days, when you will need a ninth man off the bench. Do we really want to play with as few as 8 scholarship players next year.? That’s a formula for a very bad season.

I agree. I keep hoping there is a rabbit pulled out of hat for addition in 2019.

Adding a frosh big that wasn’t anything special on a terrible team in a small conference is not exactly a safe bet for upgrading the frontline in the future. He might develop into a good player. He might not. It’s equivalent to adding a 3-star frosh, which is exactly what any dead weight looks like.

I’m not saying he will be a superstar, but I think his potential appears to be greater then who we are probably going to lose. I like the look of his shot and his rbs per 40 minutes puts him in the 90th percentile.

I think it’s a good risk IMO.

It will be interesting to see Henderson two years from now vs Iyiola when he steps on the court again, You may be right about this, but on the other hand there could be a bit of grass is greener on the other side syndrome.

Since we just dismissed a forward. I’ll go with yes,

We are hurtling big time for wing players!