Can Kingsley and Barford get rolling?

If so, this can be a very competitive team. At this point in the season Macon is playing very well, Dusty and Anton are playing well within the system, Trey Thompson has improved to being a solid back-up, Thomas and Cook are still trying hard to find their roles, but Barford and Kingsley have struggled at just OK but nowhere near the impact level that we had all hoped for. Can the light come on for Barford and Kingsley? December 29 would be a good day for that to begin. If that happens and some of our long and lanky freshmen learn how to play SEC caliber defense, we can be a pretty good top 20 team.

Texas was effective pressing us with long and lanky zone press defenders and we got some very long and athletic teams coming up (like Kentucky) that saw that and are chomping at the bit to test us. That is my big worry for this team at this point.

I agree with Barford, but what areas are you expecting Moses to improve. We had way less offense last year than this year, so MK obviously isn’t going to get the same touches. His other numbers seem to be on par with last year. I asked this same question the other day and didn’t get a very good answer. Maybe you have a better one?

edit:

I reviewed his stats again, to try to find an answer an what I can tell is his FG% is down from 55% to %48, his rebounding is down for 9.3 to 8.4 and his steals are down from 1.1 to 0.6. His FT% is up, his Assists are up, and his Blocking is up.

As a team our rebounding is up as a whole, so I’m not bothered by his rebounding. It means Cook, Thomas and Thompson are getting the boards. MK’s minutes are also down, which could affect that.

The only stat that bothers me, and the one I have personally witnesses about 10 times this year is his FG%. He is forcing his shots a bit and not getting easy looks. That could be a PG issue or a MK issue. I think he wants his opportunities and is forcing them since he is getting fewer and that is causing poor shot selecting and lower FG%. I don’t know how to improve that other than him transform into a more physical player. I didn’t expect that from him so I don’t think he needs to get going. I do however think if he wants to be more effective and help this team, he is going to have to become more physical. If that is what you mean when you say “get going” then I agree. Other than that, he is on par or exceeding what he did last year.

Good question. Through 11 games this year, Moses is shooting 47.7% from the field v 54.8% last year. He is averaging 0.9 rebound less per game, essentially the same in turnovers (2.18 turnovers/g this year v 2.03 turnovers/g last year), more blocks (2.9 v 2.38 per game) this year. The most drastic improvement is the free throw line. Moses is shooting 79.5% from the line this year v 63.7% last year.

I would like to see a shot chart for Moses this year v last year. I wonder if that would shed some light on the decrease in shooting percentage?

Addendum: Moses is getting about 2 minutes less per game of run this year v last year.

Hog2009,

I guess I was editing my original post while you were typing. Thanks for the info. Shot chart would be nice, but I don’t think it would show if he was facing the basket or shooting with his back to the basket, or how well he was defended, which would help us in analyzing shot selection, which is my point.

Barford is puzzling. As much hype as he had coming in he has surely disappointed offensively. But he was probably hyped a little to much. He plays very good defense. Love the way he uses his hands to try and swipe the ball. Doesn’t hack down for the most part. Offensively however he seems lost I saw where Anderson tried to post him low on another guard but we couldn’t get the ball to him. Love this tactic, reminds me of what Nolan did w beck. He has a hard time driving at times but I’m not sure that is his fault. Our spacing at times offensively is horrible. Hard to drive when 3 other of our guys w defenders are in or near the paint. His 3 point shooting has also been below average. When he does get to rim it is usually a thang of beauty, kid can finish. Seems to be thinking too much instead of being instinctive. We need him to come on. Anderson needs to help him by designing plays or sets for Him offensively.

[quote=“TheHuntinHog”]
I agree with Barford, but what areas are you expecting Moses to improve. We had way less offense last year than this year, so MK obviously isn’t going to get the same touches. His other numbers seem to be on par with last year. I asked this same question the other day and didn’t get a very good answer. Maybe you have a better one?

In think his “improving” may be more up to our guards than to him. We are struggling to get him the ball, it seems to me, and then he is forcing his shots when he finally does get it. So far, teams have not had to double down on him too much as he struggles against the one man covering him. It is not all on him, but his low post moves are still a work in progress. He has improved greatly. I just wish he had a jump hook or spin move available to use when he gets the chance. That would be a huge asset to this team.

Looks like Moses has got it going tonight. 13 first half points. No info available on boards and blocks. Good first half for Beard too.

3 boards, 1 block so far for Moses with 16 minutes left.

Beard has 11 points, 1 assist, 1 board so far.

11-1

I’ll say it again and throughout the year. I think we are going to win 23-25 games and be solidly in the NCAAt and many of the posters on this board will enjoy exactly none of it.

I also expect to start slowly in conference. Fla, @ Tenn and at UK has to be one of, if not the toughest opening conference stretch for anyone in the league.

We should be happy is we start 2-1, but there’s a decent shot we will start 1-2 and if we do, I expect those same fans to lose it.

That’s what they did after the loss to Clemson, followed by a 2-2 start in SEC play in 2014.

We finished 27-9, 13-5 and 2nd in SEC and there were several who complained from the tip to the final horn.

Geez, always complainers, who cares? I will certainly not complain with 23w’s and enjoy it too! Just don’t buy it. Still don’t see this team winning on the road. I see 10-8 in conference at best. We’ll see, watching close tonight. :sunglasses:

Kingsley is playing horrible. He not putting a body on the Gator bigs. Trey Thompson is playing better right now.