Calico Joe = Beniball?

Leading into the summer someone on the old HI board asked about any good baseball books to read. It resulted in a great thread about LOTS of good baseball books, and Clay recommended Calico Joe by John Grisham. I picked up a copy and read it about a month ago. It’s a fun book to read that features Joe Castle from Calico Rock, AR who is promoted from AA to the majors overnight and becomes a sensation for the Chicago Cubs. It is fiction of course, but Calico Joe hits safely his first 17 or 18 at bats and sets all kind of rookie records.

Benintendi skipped AAA, came from NW Arkansas (sorta), and is currently batting .500, 8 for 16. Not quite up to Calico Joe’s level of play, but still pretty incredible!

I love that book!

It may be time to read it again.

All of his off topic (non legal) books are great. Ford County is a hoot. Playing for Pizza, Painted House, and Bleachers are great reads.

Painted house is my favorite. Any of us growing up in Arkansas can relate to sitting on the porch listening to the Cardinals and Stan the Man on the radio.