Cabot OF commits to Kentucky

Cabot’s Houston King committed to Kentucky today after he was offered last night. He is a rising sophomore in the class of 2020.

He is the second Cabot player from that class to commit to an SEC team in the past week. Outfielder Clayton Gray committed to the Razorbacks last week.

I know it’s harder to compare baseball offers since one can be for more money than another, but assuming no difference in offers, why would a kid from Cabot choose UK over us in baseball? Have we offered him? I know UK had a good year, but no better than ours & our baseball tradition is head & shoulders above UK’s. Our fan support is better. Our facilities are better (although I understand UK is upgrading). We’re closer to home. In short, I can’t see any reason for this decision. Can you shed some light here, Matt?

I do not know whether Arkansas offered, but I don’t think it had.

Kentucky hired a big-time recruiter as its head coach last year. Nick Mingione was Mississippi State’s ace who helped the Bulldogs build some great teams, including the one that finished runner-up in Omaha a few years back.

Mingione hired Roland Fanning away from UALR as an assistant coach, and Fanning has some good connections at high schools in central Arkansas. I’ve been told that Kentucky is coming after some Arkansas recruits pretty hard. Lots of SEC schools are recruiting here because there is some real talent in these next few classes.

Mingione also has a history of offering kids early. A few years ago he got a commit from an AR kid named Hunter Milligan.