C.J.

Right now and for the last 3 games is a detriment to the team. And barford looks like he has lost confidence.

I thought we had left our road struggles behind the past couple years…poor showing so far. Gotta hope Mike can get on track at half

CJ is a spot up jump shooter period he hasn’t developed into a competent enough ball handler to do anything but unless it’s a breakaway

Losing G Khalil Garland to a med RS has made it more imperative that CJ Jones play enough minutes to give our guards rest. CJ has really played poorly of late so our guards are playing WAY TOO MUCH for this style and need for pressing. Darious Hall has come on but he is not a 1 or 2 guard yet he is helping a lot.

I think something is wrong like the flu or something that has taken Trey, Jaylen or CJ to weird performance levels. None of this makes sense.

CJ is very much struggling now. He is in a bonafide slump.

But he was playing very well, averaging over 10 points a game up until 2 week’s ago

Detriment or no detriment, He needs minutes to play his way out of it. We have no other good options. Got to look at the long haul. We have 16 more regular season games.

His stat line vs Auburn:

3 min played
2 pts on 1-3
2 assists
1 Reb

That’s not a slump, it’s an impressive 3 minutes. That’s not getting an opportunity. We need CJ on the floor more minutes to take some of the scoring pressure off of Macon and Barford.

You are right about the playing time but how many shot did he take. He hasn’t shot well in 3 games.
I think he will turn it around.
Long season. It will work out.

Since he went 5 of 10 - 5 of 8 from 3.- against ORU, CJ has gone 3-of-17 from the field

True, but he really hasn’t had a chance to get into the flow of the game to break out of his slump. We were much much better when CJ was involved and scoring. Macon and Barford have had bad shooting runs. Macon was 3-11, 0-5 from 3 vs Auburn. Barford was 4-15, 0-6 from 3 vs Miss St. CJ is not Macon or Barford, but it could be argued that he’s an important piece for us to have a great season, not only because of what he directly contributes on the court, but also to keep Macon and Barford rested.

I could imagine that CMA has told CJ to improve his defense so he can play more when he isn’t shooting. CMA may be trying to make a point.

Cjs defense has improved tho. And that point needs to be made to Macon and Barford and beard too.

personally i think the other teams in the league have a scouting report on him. spot up shooter, poor to average ball handler, has trouble getting his own shots, defense average at best. they have taken away his spot up shots, or at least shortening the time between he catches the ball and when he shoots it, and his jump shot is hurried. he hasn’t been close. if he’s not careful hall is going to get his minutes, in fact he did not play in second half of auburn game that i recall and hall got pretty good minutes in the second half of that game.

in fact i think the sec teams have a fairly good scouting report on our hogs. north carolina and houston both showed the way. (neither of those teams setting the world on fire either, unfortunately ) make it hard on macon and barford and make the others beat you. the four position has been inconsistent to say the least, gafford, just foul him. cook, thompson, bailey aren’t going to beat you. jones, limit his jump shots. thompson same as the forwards. (he did hit 2 jumpers against auburn which was encouraging). also on thompson, not much of a threat from down low, in fact we don’t post him down low much at all, use him for high screens and back door passes which other teams have shut off. beard has been a pleasant surprise, wish he was more of a consistent scorer.

lots of play left, well see what adjustments anderson makes if any and what other coaches do to defend us and the offense they use to score on us.

I don’t expect much on the road from young players. He will have to regain some confidence with some home success this week. But, you have to play your way into minutes, too. You don’t play well over an extended period of time, your minutes disappear. I know this team needs him. I expect he’ll hit his stride soon. It’s needed.

It appears CJ internalizes his missed shots to the extent he stop shooting, that’s really concerning. I still believe they will turn it around sooner than later Mike always figure out how to right the ship, just look at the past seasons.

More movement on offense and screens will help but it’s been a long time since the hogs put a team on the floor where all 5 players were a threat. Unlike some have said I believe Beard is a threat too! Tomas can score he doesn’t take many shots. Trey just doesn’t try to score. Gafford can score he just can’t make a free throw. Macon and Bardford late in games can mistakes just like anyone else. If everyone is moving and the ball is moving you may get an easy look but lately the one on one junk has been called that ends up in a turnover.
The one bright spot is the hogs have been rebounding! Just not late when the game is on the line.

[quote=“ArmyHog”]

More movement on offense and screens will help but it’s been a long time since the hogs put a team on the floor where all 5 players were a threat. Unlike some have said I believe Beard is a threat too! Tomas can score he doesn’t take many shots. Trey just doesn’t try to score. Gafford can score he just can’t make a free throw. Macon and Bardford late in games can mistakes just like anyone else. If everyone is moving and the ball is moving you may get an easy look but lately the one on one junk has been called that ends up in a turnover.
The one bright spot is the hogs have been rebounding! Just not late when the game is on the line.

[/quote] Tennessee Miss. St. Auburn
Trey Thompson 13 min. = 2 pts 8 min. = 0 pts. 8 min. = 8 pts.
Arlando Cook 13 min = 1 pt. 4 min. = 2 pts. 4 min. = 2 pts.
Dustin Thomas 27 min = 4 pts. OT 18 min. = 0 pts. 18 min. = 0 pts.
This would be my case for playing Adrio Bailey, Darious Hall, Gabe Osabuohein, And C.J. Jones more. Sorry the spacing looks ok until I post. Bottom line in 3 SEC games these three have played a total of 113 minutes with one OT game and scored 19 points.

I think our four position is possibly the worst in division 1 basketball for sure the worst in conference the talent we have there I think I virtually non-existence and the main reason we lost the games we have to this point. However I believe Mike Anderson is a championship coach imo and will turn this ship around and bring us a national title sooner than anyone else would and in more exciting fashion! #WPS

You’re right CJ is a horrible ball handler and for a guard that’s unacceptable and beard not being able to make a right hand layup is juvenile to say the least…too much is on the shoulders of the big three Barford, Macon and Gafford… we desperately needed a power forward in that can produce in the 17 class

His defense has improved. I watch him closely every game. He is no worse than Macon as a defender.