Bryson Warren signs pro deal, bypassing high school and college

None and done has definitely returned. Hope this doesn’t come back to bite him. But supposedly they’re paying six figure salaries.

The end of amateur athletics is here

Maybe for the top players. We’ll know in 3-5 years about the pros and cons of all this. There will be some winners and some losers.

1 Like

The real “loser” in all of this is Education.

Bingo - they (the kids bypassing college) better hope that it pans out. I personally think that all organized sports (collegiate and professional) are in a steep decline due to the rising costs for spectators

Why? There’s no age restriction on going to college

1 Like

Are they still getting a high school degree?

Dunno if OTE makes any provision for these kids to finish high school. Certainly his time at Link Academy is over.

Oh, what a gut punch. I’ve been saying for 2 years that Bryson was the most important Arkansas recruit to the Razorbacks in a long time. I have felt that he was ours to lose. I hope this decision was not because an adult or 2 gave him bad advice in order help themselves monetarily.

I don’t know anything about his family and their background. It would be hard to tell a 16 year old kid to turn down a 6 figure salary and finish high school and go to college, if that is true. Especially if he’s wanting to help his family.

He is so talented. I have little doubt that he will have a good to great NBA career. I just wish the Hogs could have had him for a year.

Best of luck, Bryson. I’m sure you will have a great basketball career, whichever path you choose to get that career started.

Solid family. I’m sure they got as much info as possible.

1 Like

Of course there is no age restriction on going to college. Grad school either, for that matter (the average age of my first year med school class was 28). But what college, honestly, is a person planning to attend that bypasses their final 2 years of high school in order to pursue an athletic career?

The high school education is what is lost here. Sure these kids can get some sort of certificate (I expect some of them won’t), but the education is just not the same.

There’s a risk in every decision, but this one seems especially risky.

1 Like

Here’s a few paragraphs on the “education” that OTE provides. From what I gather, they will have some one on one and on line classes with “educators”. They call them “Learning Facilitators”. It doesn’t read like they have accredited high school courses and teachers that would provide them with a high school diploma. It does sound like they will receive financial education, so that is a positive.

Some athletes in the minor sports, e.g., tennis, figure skating, gymnastics, finish high school online in this day and age. It is a modern form of home schooling. One of them is Laurel Springs School. UA has had tennis players in the past who matriculated from there.

That site does say the plan is to get them through to high school graduation.

There’s no way you have HS kids in the league without a good plan to make sure they get their education. Wouldn’t fly with most parents.

Yes. There will be some King James types, there will be some kids who don’t make it and who will not get enough money out of it. The question really is, for the latter, would they have had a better pro career if they had done the traditional route? There really isn’t any way to know.

I know this will get some to disagree with me, but the ones who are truly interested in education will come back and get it, be that in 2 years or 22 years. The real issue is, IMO, as I stated before, what is the best path to a successful pro career. I tend to think spending more years in development before the cut throat pro career starts is better, but, I could be wrong.

It appears more kids are going college route instead of going directly to the minors in baseball.

There will be stats after a few years so parents will be able to make a more educated decision.

Yes, I imagine, with today’s on line technology, they could supply a student with the opportunity (not required) to receive some sort of an equivalency to a high school diploma (GED type? or home schooled). It doesn’t appear, at least at this time, that OTE is a state (or federally) approved or accredited institution of education, like Link Academy or all the other “grad schools”.

Also, after playing basketball for pay at OTE, they will never again be eligible to play college basketball if they decide in a few months, they would rather take that route.

Soccer, tennis, baseball, gymnastics, all offer some sort of pre-high school graduation entry to professional play. Will some top players and some not so top players go that route, of course, but in the end college athletics will survive.

1 Like