Brilliant move by Muss to take away their pick and roll

He sagged J-will down in the lane which totally took away their pick and roll I think they got one all night. Also they tried it later on and Chris lykes ran right in front of big Kessler and stopped him from going to the basket…we were prepared for that and have been the only team to stop them from doing that
Great great move

5 Likes

Another great thing about tonight we shut the little loud mouth Johnson down to 2 pts…loved that… the other kid got about 19. But we shut Johnson’s mouth up big time.

2 Likes

Pearl better figure out something quick because Muss just gave every team the blue print to beat Auburn. WPS

1 Like

Green did have 19 but he also had seven turnovers to only five assists. He also took five more shots than Smith, which was can’t be the best way for Auburn to win, and was 1-7 on 3pt shots.

1 Like

I hope CEM send game plans to every coach in the SEC before they play Auburn!

Pat Bradley had that same idea a couple nights before the game… take them out of the pick-n-roll and make them shoot from the outside. Muss probably didn’t need any advice and saw the same thing.

1 Like

It reminds me of something CNR said about cutting off the head of a snake. Muss is a brilliant game planer. His brain is racing so much it is a wonder he can sleep.

1 Like

You’re right, although most every other team don’t got the dudes we got. :muscle:

3 Likes

Yeah he definitely plays out of control as much as Johnson does he just doesn’t run that mouth quite as bad.

1 Like

Probably so, there’s not anything harder to do than to convince a group of guys that if you play relentlessly on defense and take what they give you on offense you WILL win a lot of games. You drive through any neighborhood on a weekend during good weather and you will see numerous kids out shooting hoops and very few playing defense. This is also the reason in my opinion why you see fewer really good basketball players from rural areas than intercity or from more wealthy areas that get their children into leagues. Leagues allow kids to compete against kids of their caliber and we know steel sharpens steel. Muss has done a great job of getting his players to play coordinated chaos on defense and that’s almost unheard of these days. WPS

1 Like

Give me a kid that plays at an outdoor court any day of the week. Those are the kids that become dogs.

They told a story about JD last night. He could not afford to go to an indoor gym so he played at the park with older guys. He said that is where he got his toughness from.

Corliss learned how to play basketball at the park on Independence Street in Russellville with his uncle Tyrone. By the 6th grade he was playing against guys twice his age. By the 8th grade he was giving guys from the Arkansas Tech basketball team all they wanted. I watched him one night destroy 3 guys in there 20’s that played at Tech. They got mouthy and that didn’t go well at the park if you weren’t from the neighborhood and you never talked crazy to Kojack(Corliss). They got worked over and ran on back across the tracks to Tech.

Few days later they came and apologized to the guys that gave them a work over…lol…

6 Likes

The playgrounds is where you learn to finish at the rim while playing through the foul. Way to many guys can’t take a bump or slap and finish their shot and if you can’t finish you need to shoot 75% or better from the charity stripe. Corliss was a beast. WPS

1 Like

Played some pick up at the Salvation Army gym in Pine Bluff when I was in my 20’s. Rough is an understatement. No blood no foul. There was some talent in that gym. Unfortunately not me.

2 Likes

Not everyone has Toney and JWill. They knew every step and tendency in their variations of that complex play. Fun to watch.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.