Briles offense

Been watching FSU 2019 and Houston 2018 plus some breakdowns of briles offense. I have to say that has to be the simplest offense I have ever seen. I can see why he believes they will get it implemented quickly. It’s also boom or bust. Never seen so many deep shots taken. I also have to say I’m concerned. SEC teams with SEC level corners and d lines could throttle that offense.

I can see how it works well against slower secondaries, but this is the sec not the big 12 or the ACC, where FSU struggled.

Speed in execution and an accurate deep(er) ball are clearly the differentiators. And, I like that he will run power repeatedly if you give it to him. His OLines aren’t great skill wise but maybe he will learn something or implement from Pittman.

Here’s hoping I get to see this offense this year.

2 Likes

FSU struggled because they had probably the worst Offensive line in D-1. Arkansas much maligned O-Line was light yrs better. Heck they gave up 48 sacks in a quick strike offense. Just a 4 man rush usually met very little resistance getting into their backfield quickly.

Even with that major handicap they managed to become bowl eligible this past season.

It’s going to be run heavy. And I bet safeties going to be covering Treylon in slot. I bet Treylon catches bunch of deep balls because he will be open.

2 Likes

Seems that a defense like that would be open to screens and draw plays.

1 Like

Yes, if you can block them. It always comes down to blocking.

Some think it’s play calling. Every play requires blocking.

1 Like

The most effective, deadly “play” I see out of that offense is when the wide side - super wide speed receiver runs the deepish slant. If the safety isn’t there for backup it’s almost impossible for a slower corner to cover due to the angle.

1 Like

If the WR is super fast, it is a nice play. In the SEC, the corners are speedy.

1 Like

Perhaps you’ve been watching the other teams in recent years?

2 Likes

Maybe run repeatedly with different WRs the corners will wear down and be vulnerable.

1 Like

Exactly Clay. Hence my concern about this offense against sec defenses. It looks good at Houston and Baylor not sure how it will look in the SEC, but I’m hoping it will look great😀

1 Like

As sure as I’m writing this response Kendal Briles, Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin are going to put up video game stats against decent SEC opponents once they get their own recruits comfortable in the new systems.

Georga, Missouri, Florida, Alabama & Kentucky makeup the top 5 Defenses in the SEC ( Country) last season. Arkansas has the DL & DC off of 2 of those teams listed.

Barry Odom vs Kendal Briles practices will be must see tv. Both are juggernauts at their craft.

1 Like

I think I will delegate my attention to our defense more than the offense.
The past several years even when our offense was clicking the defense seemed to fold.
Hoping Barry Odom fixes that. Then Briles hopefully can score just enough, I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Boy if that isn’t the truth. There was no way I thought our defense would be as bad last year as it was the year before. At some point we have got to take a step up and I suspect Odom will make a difference.

Got to be able to stop people. Simple as that. The last two years and really longer, cardboard cutouts would have been just as effective. That will not get it to say the least.

This one belongs in quote of the week. Good one.