Brey Cook named new coach

at Pea Ridge. Congrats.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I am happy for Brey! Do well my man…

Big dude will do well.

Congratulations to Brey and go Fightin Peas!

Pea Ridge is a good job that puts a lot of resources into athletics. That community has grown a lot in the last 10 years and it is going to continue to do so. It’s not far from Bentonville and there is a lot of housing opportunity there.

I’ve heard some say they wouldn’t be surprised if it is a 6A school in the future. It was the 56th-largest high school in the state in the last classification cycle, so it is already bigger than some of the 5A schools that it just began to compete against.

Good for Brey. Good for Pea Ridge.
Wow I didn’t realize the growth rate there as Matt stated.
I know they used to be some basketball playing dudes back in the 70’s-80’s. Not sure if they were even class 1A then.
The movie Hoosiers reminded me of Pea Ridge basketball.

There are still some Hoosiers-like towns in Arkansas. I drive through a lot of them in the North Central part of the state that aren’t big enough to play football, so basketball is a big deal.

Rural Special High School in Fox, AR is one of those towns. The girls won their first state title after reaching the finals 6 or 7 times in the last 20 years. You drive thru that town and blink you will miss it.

1 Like

The Missouri boot heel has a lot of those towns too. Little South Iron only had a graduating class of 15. Didn’t stop them from scheduling as many large classification schools as they could. They beat most of them. That includes a road win over St. Louis powerhouse CBC, coached by Jason Tatum’s dad.

Kirby, Caddo Hills (Norman and Caddo Gap), Flippin, Bergman, Guy-Perkins all come to mind

I don’t know how good they are or how well the town supports the team (I assume every town supports its high school teams), but every time I drive through Kingston on my way to Ponca, I see the basketball gym on the hill off the highway and think of Hoosiers.

One of my best friends grew up in Lead Hill, another basketball-first town in that general area.

1 Like

More likely than not. The whole town supports those basketball teams. Main topic of discussions at the local cafes.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.