Brandon Allen and the Jags

Brandon Allen, IMO, just put himself in a situation to get playing time with the Jags. He was certainly impressive tonight and the talking heads said it was against the inferior defensive players. I am biased and I know it, but Brandon did not have all of the 1st teamers with him either!! The coach came out to the press conference and talked about two quarterbacks. Really. Maybe I am overreacting? The same people who drafted Brandon and have stayed with him, keeping him active all of last year, are the same people who hired the coach.
Coach was pissed at Bortles and Henne. If that Coach doesn’t evaluate what Brandon did late in the game…his temper affected his ability to recognize he has a viable option who the other players kind of rallied around. Good things ahead for Brandon because every other GM and PPD (player personnel director) noticed. After the HC gets over being pissed off his senses will surely come back to him. The OC was engaged during those runs BA and the Jags put together.

In preseason, often the second team guys are playing harder than the first team because they are fighting for a roster spot and paycheck, while the first team guys are playing to hone their precision and not get hurt in the process. It’s not like the subs are not good players. When you think of all the very very good players who don’t make it in the NFL, you know that the ones who do are pretty good. I don’t think that Brandon will get the starting role but I do think he has done enough to keep his roster position.

BA has done well for himself and continues to work hard, it’s unbelievable what coach Enos did for him in a short time. Wish him the best. WPS

Yeah, I was disappointed once he got them down on the two, they needed one yard for a first down. Now his first pass on that third down was a very well thrown ball, that the receiver actually had, ground knocked it loose. The second pass (I think BA should have sneaked for the first down) wasn’t that good, he didn’t give his receiver a chance to catch it inbounds. That was the first two incompletions, I believe, and was also the only bad pass up to that point. Still, I agree with you a 100%, to me he played better than the two in front of him. I think if the Jags cut him, someone will take him.

If the Jags could get anything for Bortles, and I mean anything, they would probably trade him and then be sorely tempted to make BA the # 2. I don’t think they will get any takers. Henne looks serviceable as a one-year starter, but he’s a ten year journeyman who won’t be a long term answer.

If Bortles does not snap out of it and play better, the Jags will probably start Henne and use Bortles as the back up with BA as the # 3 again. They can cut Bortles after this year and it will cost them nothing unless he’s hurt. At that point the Jags are going to be drafting another QB or getting a vet in free agency. If they go for a vet, they might cut Henne and go with BA as the # 2. If they draft a QB high in 2018, Henne probably stays and BA is stuck as the # 3 for another year, barring an unlikely trade.

The Jags don’ t dare cut BA this year and hope to put him on the practice squad, because there is too great a chance someone would pick him up for the regular roster.

It is possible that if Henne is the starter and gets hurt, the Jags throw BA in a couple of games if they’ve given up on Bortles and have no shot at the playoffs. An unlikely scenario, but much stranger things have happened in the NFL.

[quote=“bakedhog19741”]
Yeah, I was disappointed once he got them down on the two, they needed one yard for a first down. Now his first pass on that third down was a very well thrown ball, that the receiver actually had, ground knocked it loose. The second pass (I think BA should have sneaked for the first down) wasn’t that good, he didn’t give his receiver a chance to catch it inbounds. That was the first two incompletions, I believe, and was also the only bad pass up to that point. Still, I agree with you a 100%, to me he played better than the two in front of him. I think if the Jags cut him, someone will take him.
[/quote]Actually, the pass on second and 1 (from the 2-3 yard line) was perfectly thrown and would have been a first and goal at the one, but the receiver didn’t hang on. Then on third down, BA threw a perfect fade to the left that the receiver caught for a TD - but failed to “complete the process of the catch” when he was on the ground. On 4th and 1 from the 2-3, the Jags passed again, and that time the coverage was too tight to fit a pass in (but he had to throw because it was 4th down).

I thought it was very curious play calling. They had 3 time outs; why not run for the first down (which might have ended up being a TD, since the line to gain was the 1 yard line), and call time outs as needed if you failed. Remember, it was second and less than 2 from inside the 3 yard line.

Anyway, BA looked very, very good. He made quick decisions and his throws were crisp, confident and accurate. This included a couple of throws on the run, and he mixed in 2 nice scramble/runs as well. I know he was playing against mostly second and third team players, BUT these are still NFL players, and he was playing with second/third teamers on his side as well.

Looks like the local JAX media is playing up Henne vs. Bortles and not giving BA much credit at all just yet.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-the … 4641d82ee5

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/ … n-not-open

[quote=“WizardofhOgZ”]

Yep, forgot about that second down throw, it was another good pass that should have been caught.

We are all rooting for BA and all the Hogs in the NFL to succeed. Just being there is a pretty darn good accomplishment.

I really think BA has a shot at being a big star. He has athletic talent, but also very smart.