Bonfield

Sorry for all the posts, guys. Quick question about Bonfield though. We’re through 10 rounds and his name hasn’t been called. If this goes on for another round or two, any chance he comes back to play for a higher draft slot next year?

I’m not sure what round makes it less attractive (money wise) to sign and go to the minor leagues over continuing to play in the SEC for a program like Arkansas. I’m sure it varies based on slot money, but any opinion on where a guy like Luke may draw the line and return for his Sr year?

Bonfield still is in line to get a big signing bonus and I think he’ll be drafted and sign. Most projections had him going in the 11-15 round range.

Through 24 rounds, Bonfield still hasn’t been drafted. The longer he goes undrafted, the more I think he could return.

Bonfield was drafted late by the Mets coming out of high school. He was a high ceiling prospect and had a high number. The Mets saved some money in their bonus pool and threw a nice offer at Bonfield. His decision to come to AR was made late in the signing period. There were are lot of people that thought he would take the money.

I really hope things work out for him.

I certainly felt that he had a good enough season/career in the SEC to get drafted higher than he did coming out of high school.

What gives?

Maybe he wants too much money. Remember that Luke was a top 100 prospect in 2014 and his sign-ability caused him to fall to the Mets in the 21st round. The same happened with Keaton McKinney that year, only he went to the Mets in the 28th round.

I don’t have a lot of insight into Luke’s situation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he still feels he is a top 10 round talent and is asking for that kind of money. Since the MLB restructured its draft pool rules, we’ve seen more hitters come back for a fourth season. It did wonders for Brent Rooker.

Gotcha. Thanks, man.

All of a sudden we may go from hoping not to lose guys in the draft to hoping some don’t transfer. Being a head baseball coach has to be the toughest gig in college sports.

https://twitter.com/luke_bonfield/status/875094229109878784

WPS!

I hope Bonfield rips 25 home runs next year and hits above 300. Where did his K number this year end up?

He had 44 strikeouts.

Matt: how did the draft pool rules change such that it made it more likely that budding hitters would want to come back for a fourth season?

Up until a few years ago there were not penalties for teams who signed players for over-slot value in the later rounds. Now if you sign a draft pick past the 10th round for more than $125,000, the difference is deducted from the pool of money you have to sign players. I think there is a high luxury tax associated with it, too. That really hasn’t stopped teams from signing over-slot in the 11 through 15 rounds, but it has curtailed it in the later rounds.

I remember Arkansas had a signee named Jared Lakind who was a 23rd round pick of the Pirates and he signed for nearly $500,000. You just don’t see that anymore. There isn’t as much life-changing money being offered to drafted players.

Since the rule change, you see more players come back to school for another year. Some of the best players in the SEC this year were fourth-year players who didn’t sign after being drafted last year: Brent Rooker, Jared Poche and Kramer Robertson are a few who come to mind. Rooker was a redshirt junior, but the two from LSU were seniors who lost negotiating leverage, but thought another year would add value to offset the loss in bargaining power. It did in both instances.

I don’t know what happened exactly with Luke, but I suspect it got to a point yesterday where he told teams that he was going back to Arkansas because he thought it would be more valuable to him than wherever he was going to fall in the draft.

Matt, you can correct me if I am wrong, but another thing that has helped in getting players to come back for their senior year is that if a player is drafted in the top 10 rounds and they don’t sign then their slot value still counts against the teams bonus pool. So while seniors usually always sign for less than what their slot value is worth it isn’t as drastic as it use to be because if they don’t sign then that slot value still counts towards that teams bonus pool.

You may be right, but I was under the assumption that a team only lost the slot value if it couldn’t sign a first-round pick and that the money left over from other top 10 picks - signed or unsigned - could be reallocated somewhere else.

EDIT: I looked up the rule and a team does lose its slot value for any top 10 round pick unsigned. Only two top 10 rounders didn’t sign last year.