Bob Gibson had more complete games

1 Like

It would be interesting to study pitch counts from those days. Did they even limit the pitch counts back then? Something tells me that he went over 100 quite a few times, or maybe not, he struck out a lot of batters.

A human Ironman. He was a blast to watch. I don’t think he was intimidated by anyone.

Would love to see one of these modern “analytics” managers come to pull him before his third time through the lineup. He would have kicked their butt all the way back to the dugout.

2 Likes

They didn’t limit pitch counts, but hitters didn’t work counts then like they do now either.

I looked up box scores from the 1968 Series, but they didn’t include pitch counts; they listed batters faced instead. None of those games went as long as 3 hours, so there couldn’t have been a huge amount of pitches.

Nolan Ryan once threw 13 innings and 235 pitches in one game.

Gibson and Ryan are the two best pitchers I have seen in my lifetime.

My favorite Gibson story was when Ump warned him about throwing at batters when Gibson complained about batters crowding plate and Ump not calling inside strikes. Ump fined players back then and told Gibson it would cost him $50 next time he did it, Gibson told him to get behind the plate and that he had plenty of $50 bills. Batter was quoted after the game, that he knew he was going to get hit and it would hurt for a month and so it did. Tim McCarver was catcher at time and Manager would motion of him to go talk to Gibson during these times and Tim would say no way, not me.

Remember laying in the floor listening to the Cardinals on the radio with my father, my dad took my brother and me to St Louis to watch Gibson pitch. That trip is second only to meeting him in Mike Shannon’s restaurant one evening after a game. He was one of the most fierce competitors to ever walk onto a field to say the least. WPS

I heard this story on an interview with Gibson and a teammate. They had visited Mays while in San Francisco. The site where I found this quote attributed it to having happened at a dinner. Either way, the quote was the same.

When Willie Mays found out that Gibby wore glasses:

Mays got bug-eyed and asked Gibson, “You wear glasses?!” Yes, Gibson replied. “But not when you pitch?!” Gibson said no. Mays then shrieked, “Man, you’re going to kill somebody!”

3 Likes

My favorite Gibson story is when McCarver came out to the mound to talk to him and Gibby told him “Get back behind the plate. The only thing you know about pitching is that you can’t hit it.”

3 Likes

I am loving these postings. My two favorite pitchers were also Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan.

1 Like

Netflix has a great documentary on Nolan Ryan “Facing Nolan” right now.

There is a statue of Bob Gibson at the entrance to the AAA Omaha Storm Chasers stadium (Omaha is Bob’s hometown). We had a marketing deal with the Storm Chasers and I went there to visit their marketing guy. He said that they had a big unveiling planned of Bob’s statue but Bob refused to come. He said Bob was a very “grumpy” guy. Finally Joe Torre talked Bob into attending only if Joe would come with him. I loved watching him pitch. He was respected (if not feared) by batters that faced him.

Yeah people like Gibson and Ryan were just dudes!! They were absolutely incredible…

I’m still not sold on the idea that shortening the pitch counts on today’s pitchers are not what is causing a lot of arm problems.

I know when Leo mazzone was with the Braves he had then throw more than they ever had thrown before and I don’t really recall anybody getting on problems.

Smoltz had some issues later on but Glavine Smoltz and Maddox all thought that throwing more may their arms stronger.

LOL I loved Bob Gibson… he was an absolute warrior

Ah, yes, the golden years. All sports were better. Amazing, they played the All-Star game to win it and went all out, some young folks may not realize that. I have embedded in my memory the 1970 All-Star game, and also the 68 series when Gibby struck out 17 in Game 1. Weekday noon game, I played sick
to stay home from school but started feeling better just before noon. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do yourself a favor and watch the Ryan film on Netflicks … the man pitched for 28 years and had seven no-hitters. A great baller that owns more than 50 ML records.

1 Like

3 Likes

Gibson played hoops for Creighton. When they played at University of Tulsa, he had to stay in a private home on north side. Hotel refused blacks. Years later when Cards played in Tulsa against their Triple A team he refused to do interviews as a protest. Bill Connors, my boss, finally figured it out and wrote about the injustice of it all. Gibson eventually became Bill’s friend but it was a long tough road. We just don’t understand why some people carry such a mean streak. Bill understood after getting to know Gibson.

3 Likes

Gibson was far and away my favorite pitcher. I will say that he played on better teams than Ryan who I really liked as well. I think on that same bush back deal, he told the Ump that if he wanted to hit the batter he would hit them. He was just giving them a shave.

My favorite Gibson story was one that I saw. They were playing the Cubs and there was a close race between them. Gibson walked the first 3 batters and the manager started out to the mound. After one step, Gibby pointed at him and told him to get back in the dugout where he belonged. Then he proceeded to throw 9 more pitches, all strikes, and walked back to the dugout.

He would never put up with a pitch count! He said the game is 9 innings so I will pitch 9 innings. Now, they don’t even know what a complete game is. As far as making a pitcher work, he had an answer to that as well. It was called throw strikes! I wish more pitchers these days understood that.

Oh yes, the '68 Series. Who won 3 games in that. You think he worried about pitch count or days rest? After watching him (and Nolan), you can understand why I get so upset with pitchers these days. Take the ball and go throw strikes for 9 innings. Don’t be such a snowflake.

3 Likes