Blind blocking?

Watching UNC-Wake Forest. A UNC player running full speed blocked a Wake Forest player running full speed. In the side, knocking him over. It wasn’t a clip. It wasn’t targeting. The call was “blind blocking”, blocking someone when they had no chance to see the block coming. Ever heard of that?

Yes. New rule this year. Illegal blind side block. Good rule. IMO

Any rule to protect players is a good idea. I just had never seen it called before. Guess you could say I was blindsided too :smile:. The announcers were pretty dumbfounded too, they had never seen it called either. But they did say it was on the books for player safety.

Btw, although as I say I am all for rules for player safety AND and I am not in the “the refs have it all out for us” crowd (although we certainly get our share of bad calls, the worst of which I’ve seen in person being an AL team in Tuscaloosa in Saban’s first year being behind us with no timeouts and time running out and the refs taking a time out to measure and they were short—by a yard and a half! Followed by an almost equally bad interference call in the end zone. But I digress), I was curious about the Catalon targeting call. Looked like no ill intent and not really that dangerous. But the announcers said it still met the textbook definition of targeting. Was that true? And if so, should the rule be refined? Wondering what you think.

Also had never seen “low block” called on a defender. But I’ll take it.

Same as a chop block I assume…

But on a defensive player? I understood the call, but how can a defender “block”?

…and therein lies the answer. He was trying to hurt someone, not make a defensive play.

Got it. It definitely should have been a penalty. But whatever it was, and it wasn’t good, it wasn’t a block.

From a player’s perspective, that Florida defensive back weighing 180 saw a very large human about to make him a bug on the windshield and went low to save himself. I get the call, but that was self-preservation.

I weigh 180, and for my self preservation, I would not be on the field at all. And being 70 with diabetes and heart issues, for my self preservation I would not be in the stands at all either, mask or no mask.

The low block rule is called against the defense trying to take out multiple blockers by taking out their legs. Anything low in the open field is a dangerous play. I’ve seen it called a few times. But it is unusual. The refs talked about it a long time.

What if a defender is running down a ball carrier and another offensive player makes a solid block on said defender from the front, lowered shoulder, chest high legal block at full speed. But the defender never sees the block coming because he is locked in the ball carrier.
Is that a penalty (or deemed a crack back block)?

If he’s going opposite direction of the play then highly likely. They don’t like you blocking opposite the grain. Blocks should be downfield in front of the play. Running down from behind gets tricky. Better to just get in his way instead of laying him out. The first serves the purpose. The latter is just trying to hurt someone and unnecessary.

1 Like

In my day if your head was in the front of the other guy, it was legal, the new rule as I understand it, makes no allowance for where the blockers head is, but if the defender can see the blocker or not. Frankly, I am not sure if the blocker has time to know if the guy sees him coming or not.

They are trying to do exactly what the title of the rule suggests, eliminate the blind side block or hit. I called them cheap shots.

I agree cheap shots are forbidden, especially low from behind. My only injury was a low behind clip shot.

Big difference in a cheap shot compared to a block that springs the ball carrier for extended yardage. I played WR and when you’re coming back on a play to make a block on defender who’s closing in on a RB or QB out on the edge and everybody running full speed, you don’t slow down just to get in the way and possibly absorb the brunt of the hit and maybe don’t get up from it. You can try to just brush him enough to keep him from making the tackle. Usually you make a statement for the next time.
Cheap shots and crack back blocks were those hits on players who really had no bearing on the play or were even close to making a play or tackle.
Unless you’re Florida then you can do it and even get a penalty called on the opposing player, huh.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.