Big day for the reserves

Jordan McFarland went 2-for-3 with 2 HRs and 5 RBI in a pinch-hit role. He had a pretty good day Friday as well, which makes me wonder whether he might take over at first base for a while.

I also thought Evan Lee was key with 4 1/3 scoreless innings out of the bullpen. He allowed just two hits and needed 47 pitches to record 13 outs. Lee just makes plays, whether it is at the plate or on the mound. I remember after he had a key pinch-hit last year in a close win, Dave Van Horn said something to the extent of, “I went to Evan Lee because he knows how to win.”

Like last week, I think this was a good series win that will help the team for conference play. Kent State has won the MAC tournament or regular season 10 of the past 11 years and is the favorite in that league again. There are a lot of older players on a team that is used to winning.

Arkansas has a big week upcoming with Texas and Kentucky.

The Longhorns are No. 20, but probably going to fall out of the top 25 after losing three of four to No. 5 Stanford.

The No. 6 Wildcats took two of three this weekend from No. 3 Texas Tech, which was previously undefeated and is a favorite to win a national championship this year.

We’ll have a rare top 10 matchup next weekend in Baum. It might be a top 5 matchup given that Florida and Florida State both lost twice this week in addition to Texas Tech.

Nice post, Matt!
Good insight.