Basketball at Arkansas becoming Irrelevant

The basketball program, seems to be getting less coverage than I remember in the past. Even though tonight was a less than glorious win, there is only a small story about it. And almost no TV so far, let alone the small crowd support. I admit I am not sure this ship is headed in the right direction.

What I’m curious about, is the attendance last night was 4,200+, but sold tickets were 13,000+. So, my question for the “insiders” or anyone else, is this a product of big time boosters buying a lot of seats then not using them because of competition or is the common guys buying tickets then trying to flip a profit against “lesser” competition?

The tickets sold reflects season tickets, student passes and walk-ups for the game. There are probably 3,000 or more seats saved for the students each game and those aren’t getting used for the nonconference games, but that has been the case for a while. I would guess there are another few-thousand or so that were sold to people who live outside Northwest Arkansas who aren’t going to drive in for a Monday night game against a no-name opponent. They buy the tickets so they can attend the weekend games and will occasionally come up for a midweek game against someone in the SEC.

This site is covering the basketball team more than it ever has. I think we had five or six stories from the game last night.

There was only one story up when he posted. Dilibe22 wants all stories written before you guys go to bed for the night. He wants you to work through the night and get all stories up within few hours of the end of the game.

There were three stories published by the 11 o’clock hour. His post was from 12:27 a.m. So there were three stories live on the site by that time.

As one of the 4-6 guys who covers basketball for this site each game, I can assure you there is more coverage and not less.

I keep wondering whether any of the games will be televised this season

Thursday night’s 8 p.m. game is on the SEC Network - or regular TV as those who don’t have smart TVs call it.

All of the games have been available on smart TVs

That was 12:27 AM in his time zone. It was really 11:27 PM in our time zone. I saw his post few minutes after he posted. So, I checked the front page to see what he was talking about. There was only one story at that time.

I am not defending him. I thought it was a ridiculous post.

I was at home at 11:30 so I know my story was up

Clay’s was up 30 minutes after the game

Jimmy’s video and 5 things were up

Bob Holt and Tom Murphy’a went up at 2 am as they have a newspaper embargo

We get outstanding coverage of the Hoop Hogs on this site, however I tend to agree with the title of this thread. Attendance figures only tell part of the story, but the empty seats are telling.

BECOMING irrelevant? More like has been irrelevant–nationally speaking–this century. One short stay trip to the NCAAs in 7 years of CMA is beyond ho-hum. There’s very little to justify the “fastest 40” hype or Jeff Long’s outdoor slogan sign on BWA: “The basketball palace of mid America”. More like a giant echo hall of a forgotten era. The new Walton Arts Center Concert hall may draw as many paying fans for the Nutcracker this season as the Hogs do to see them play SFA or East NC A&T State U. Even for the SEC opener against Florida, this product won’t produce anything close to a full house.

You have a valid point about the program being irrelevant nationally. But flat out wrong about fan support. 14,000 tickets sold seems very relevant to me. The fact that people do not want to give up season tickets means they are banking on the future and see a positive trend.

I just think those who buy tickets and those who don’t buy tickets have a different way of looking at things.

And I think you meant to say 6 years under CMA, right? In the past, I have seen some rolling the present year into the numbers to exaggerate their point. But I don’t think you meant to do that.

Sigh, let’s start picking through the garbage here:

They’ve been calling BWA “the basketball palace of mid-America” pretty much since it was built. If you ever went to games, you would know that. And that also long predates when Jeff Long became AD. So they put the words on the outside. Big deal.

As for paying fans, more than 13,000 paid to see last night’s game, and all of the other games in BWA so far this year. Unfortunately, about 9,000 of them stayed home. Which is not good. No, we won’t sell out against Florida, and wouldn’t sell out against Kentucky if they were coming here this year. However, should we beat Texas on the 17th, which is quite possible (Texas is not very good so far), and especially if we come into the Florida game with an 11-1 record, I think the crowd will be very good. Unless we have a bowl game that day, which is also possible (Birmingham is that afternoon, Charlotte is that night).

[quote=“Dilibe22”]
The basketball program, seems to be getting less coverage than I remember in the past. Even though tonight was a less than glorious win, there is only a small story about it. And almost no TV so far, let alone the small crowd support. I admit I am not sure this ship is headed in the right direction.
[/quote]Attendance is less partly because the games are on TV. Also, fans are far more interested when the team is winning and highly ranked because the games are more fun for the fans.

Announced attendance over 10,000 tonight and if we come into Florida 11-1 that game should be a play in to the top 25 rankings. It may or may not be a sell out depending on how many alley oop sportscenter top 10 plays we can make along the way. Wps top 25 by the end of the month!

No hed doesn’t. He wants to complain. If they stayed up and wrote those stories he’d find something else to complain about. At some point he will realize he is irrelevant. Actually, I think he has. That must be why he’s on here trying to get so much attention.