Basketball APR question

So the 2017-18 year had a score of 918. That’s the year we had a roster full of seniors. I know that Dustin Thomas got dismissed from the team and C.J. Jones and Darious Hall transferred. But I thought that everyone else would have either graduated or gone pro. What do you think led to the low score? Was it just the things I mentioned that caused it?

Players must leave in “good standing”. I know Dustin graduated. Not sure if CJ and Hall left in good standing.

I’m not sure whether Hall or Jones finished the semester. I also wonder if Daryl Macon and Jaylen Barford finished their spring classes. I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember one or both of them training elsewhere after the season ended, but it might have been after the semester ended. I know both walked in the May commencement ceremony, so it’s likely both stayed in school, but midterm graduates can walk in May if they so choose.

Bottom line: it takes multiple players not doing what they are supposed to do in order to get a score to 918.

I do not think C.J. Jones and Darious Hall took care of their business. There are reasons why players leave. Sometimes they don’t fit in the culture, so to speak. Those two did not seem to fit and I do not think they were missed in many ways.

Just an APR question here…

Does the APR take a hit when a player leaves mid-semester like Daniel Gafford? He had to be in classes if he was playing throughout the spring semester then he leaves to go train before the semester is over. I do not see how that can end in good standing? Or do we get a pass on him since he is an obvious draft choice? I can’t see the NCAA looking kindly on leaving mid-semester but then again we all know the NCAA thinking itself all about education is just an illusion.

I also realize the APR is a bit behind so that didn’t effect this years low score, but how will it effect us down the road?

I’m unsure of Gafford’s situation, but assuming he did not remain in classes and is no longer in good academic standing, Arkansas would be penalized one point in his situation and would receive 2/3 - one point possible for academic eligibility in the fall and spring, and one retention point possible for the fall. The retention point for the spring would be waived because of his pro status, but that exemption does not excuse academic ineligibility. (It is possible that Gafford was enrolled in online courses and finished his coursework; with online, intersessions and eight-week courses, there are some creative ways to take the minimum number of credits needed to remain eligible without being in a classroom setting for a period of time).

Gafford’s score will be reflected in the single-year score that is released next May, and that single-year score will be part of the multi-year score in each report through 2023.

Was Jonathan Holmes on scholarship in 2017-18 academic year?

He was not put on scholarship until the spring semester of 2019.

Disclaimer speculation only.

I believe Jonathan Holmes was on scholarship.

This model is for graduate and returning players
Earned Possible total Earned Total possible
1st Semester 2nd Semester Points Point Points Point
R 1 / R 1 4 4 36 36
E1 / E 1

This model for one player

1st S                /             2nd S
R 1                  /              R 0                      2                      4                2                                  4
E  1                 /              R 0

This model is for two players who earned retention points, but not eligibility points.

1st S / 2nd
R 1 R NCAA 4 6 4 6
E 1 / E 0

This model is for one player who earned three points.

1st / 2nd
R 1 / NCAA
E 1 / E 1 3 3 3 3
-------------------------------
45 49

Points earn 45 divided by total points 49 = .918 times 1000= 918 APR

speculation

This model is for graduate and returning players

Earned        Possible     total  Earned      Total possible 

1st Semester 2nd Semester Points Point Points Point
R 1 / R 1 4 4 36 36
E1 / E 1
This model for one player
1st S / 2nd S
R 1 / R 0 2 4 2 4
E 1 / R 0
This model is for two players who earned retention points, but not eligibility points.
1st S / 2nd
R 1 R NCAA 4 6 4 6
E 1 / E 0
This model is for one player who earned three points.
1st / 2nd
R 1 / NCAA
E 1 / E 1 3 3 3 3
-------------------------------
45 49
Points earn 45 divided by total points 49 = .918 times 1000= 918 APR

Walk-ons do count towards APR math. So, being on scholarship or not does not matter, right?

Walk-ons do NOT count in APR. From the NCAA website:

[quote]

Why are only scholarship student-athletes included in the APR?

The membership made the decision to only include scholarship student-athletes in the metric in part to create consistency across the measurements of all schools. There was also an initial concern about the academic success of scholarship student-athletes. The APR came into place to address concerns regarding how student-athletes in certain sports were graduating. Those tended to be the scholarship student-athletes. It’s not that they’re not concerned about walk-ons and their academic success, it’s just that they traditionally have not been a problem.
[/quote]

Now how they handle Jonny, who went from walk-on to scholarship and is now going back to walk-on, I have no idea.

Disclaimer Speculation.

9 players go 4/4 for— 36 earned points---- 36 possible points, grad & returning players.

1 player goes 3/3 ------3 earned points-----3 possible points, pro player.

1 player goes 2/4------2 earned points-----4 possible points, pro player.

1 player goes 2/3-----2 earned points-----3 possible points, transfer player.

1 player goes 2/3 ----2 earned points----3 possible points, transfer player.

13 players earned—45 points out of a 49 possible points.

45 earned points divided by 49 possible=.918 times 1000 = APR score 918.

This only works with 13 players in APR Portal.

There was suppose to be only 12 players on basketball scholarship in the 2017-18 academic year.

I believe there were 13 on scholarship that year: Macon, Barford, Beard, Gafford, Thomas, Cook, Bailey, Garland, Osabuohien, Harris, Thompson, Hall and Jones.