Baseball is crazy

Just think about this

We could go 2-2 this weekend and move UP in rankings

2-2 this week would be incredible. I’d take it right now and not look back.

Please enlighten the uneducated on how you can play three games and go 2-2…thanx

This week, 0-1 against Charlotte, and 2-1 against the gators.

I was thinking about making a post about this very subject earlier today - for those people browsing this forum that really don’t follow baseball closely . . . and may be here because we’re so highly ranked.

Of course, I have NO idea how this 3 game series with Florida will end up. It’s most likely one team or the other will win 2 out of 3, but one team may sweep; no one saw a sweep of Kentucky coming last week - certainly, not in the way we dominated them. So who knows what will happen in 3 games on a particular weekend?

But what “new” fans need to keep in mind is that baseball is very different from Football (especially) and Basketball. In Football, a single loss can be fatal to your conference title hopes (although not necessarily). Two certainly are. Basketball, having many more conference games, can absorb some losses along the way; in fact, it’s expected. Baseball, with 30 conference games (compared to 8 for football) is a different animal altogether.

I equate 3 game series as individual “games” in the following manner. Winning two of three is like winning a football game 24-17; a nice, solid, but very competitive, win. Losing two of three is like being on the other side of that score. A sweep would be like winning 38 to 13, and vice-versa for being swept.

To me, the key is to never get swept. Sure, if the result is that you’re 1-2 EVERY weekend, you won’t get anywhere. So, not getting swept should not be the GOAL - just a minimum standard. If you can win more series than you don’t, you’ll be OK come post season (for SEC teams). The only thing that can derail that is if some of your series losses are sweeps. The difference between leaving town one game below .500 on the weekend, and 0-3 is huge.

That’s why Friday and Sunday games are so important. Win Friday, and you ought to be playing loose. Win one of the two remaining games, and the series is won. On the other hand, if you’re 0-2 going into Sunday, you’ve got to “hold on to the rope” and scratch/claw a victory any way you can to avoid being swept - that’s a LOT to play for.

I know most of you reading this are well aware of the above. However, with so many “new” baseball fans suddenly taking notice, I wanted to get out ahead of the Florida series just in case we end up only winning 1 of the 3 games this weekend. Will that be judged a success? No. This team has higher aspirations than that - even against the defending National Champions. But the point is, neither will it be a “disaster”, as some will probably make it out to be.

As one of my favorite characters in MLB used to say when he managed the Texas Rangers, “That’s the way Baseball go”.

I view it much the same way, but I tend to think, “don’t get swept on the road & win every series at home.” That’s a record of .500 or above. It’s a straight .500 if every away series is 1-2 & every home is 2-1. That’s not a bad SEC record, but it ain’t great & won’t win any conference championships. However, if we’re never swept away from home & sweep 1 or 2 series at home, that’s 16 or 17 wins & isn’t bad.

Yes, our aspirations should be higher. They should be to never be swept, win at least 1 or 2 road series, win all home series with at least 1 sweep. If we can get to 19+ SEC wins, we’ll be well-placed come NCAA time.

Indeed, the Friday night game is always crucial. It’s kinda like getting the lead batter on base instead of being the first out. It just makes so many things better.

Not to quibble, but Doc did not say week in his post. He said weekend.

Thank you for your input…I thought that surely must be the case.

Since there wasn’t anything quoted, I assumed you were replying to Baumbastic’s post, no problem.

It was a typo
I meant to say week

[quote=“RICEPIG1”]

Since there wasn’t anything quoted, I assumed you were replying to Baumbastic’s post, no problem.

[/quote]I was reading his mind, and that is why I worded my response as I did. Although reading Scott’s mind could possibly be scary. :smiley:

An acquaintance of mine once told me that he didn’t like baseball because it was too slow and not enough action. I told him, “You have to appreciate the subtleties of the game. I think it is more of a thinking man’s game.” How could a team that beat the dog crap out of Kentucky get beat by U of Charlotte and then right the ship for Florida? How come the top of the Razorback batting order is in a collective slump? The mental part of the game plays a big role in the game. There is no sure thing is baseball. But, that is part of the fun.

On another note, why does Florida need a $50 million new stadium? You had the number 2 Florida Gators playing the number 4 Arkansas Razorbacks in their home stadium and they only drew 5,500 fans. I have been there and they sometimes can’t draw 3,000 for a game against Arkansas. If you played that game in Baum or Alex Box, you couldn’t cram another fan into the stadium.

[quote=“AUFan”]

On another note, why does Florida need a $50 million new stadium? You had the number 2 Florida Gators playing the number 4 Arkansas Razorbacks in their home stadium and they only drew 5,500 fans. I have been there and they sometimes can’t draw 3,000 for a game against Arkansas. If you played that game in Baum or Alex Box, you couldn’t cram another fan into the stadium.

[/quote]Part of the impetus for the new stadium could be the location of the old one. It sits right next to the football practice field. I think that they are rewarding baseball by shoving it out of the way.

[attachment=0]fla_sports_stadiums.gif[/attachment]

[quote=“BaumbasticHawg”]

I read somewhere they are going to build a football practice facility on top of the current baseball field when the new one is completed.

There is thought that Florida can get more people to the games with some of the changes the new park will implement. For instance, there are going to be chairback seats (I think they are all bleachers now) and most will be shaded. They also are changing the direction the stadium faces to put the sun at the back of spectators and hitters.