BA Top 300

Arkansas has three players and one signee in the latest draft prospect rankings from Baseball America.

Blaine Knight is No. 35, Isaiah Campbell No. 58, Josh Breaux No. 83 and Grant Koch No. 121.

Breaux, a catcher from McLennan Community College in Waco, has seen his stock really rise in the past several months. He was drafted in the 36th round last year and had a good summer in the Cape Cod League.

Breaux has been abusing JUCO pitching for two years. He batted .401 with 19 home runs and 82 RBI in 59 games last season, and this season is batting .389 with 14 home runs and 54 RBI through 48 games. He also has drawn 40 walks and has an on-base percentage of .521 and is slugging .779.

what are the chances of getting Breaux to campus?

There was a thought earlier this year that he was coming to college. But you’ll know in another month. Things change rapidly this time of year. Junior college players can come to college and still have bargaining leverage the next year. And, the money generally is going to really jump after a year in the SEC. Ask Trevor Stephan.

It’s hard to say on Breaux until I know more about him. What is his asking price? What is his family’s financial situation? Does he want to start playing professionally? Those are big parts of the equation.

If he thinks he is a $1 million-plus signee and/or that he can benefit from playing in the SEC, then he might fall in the draft. That’s why a couple of these freshmen are on campus now.

BA has updated its prospects list and expanded it to 500. The ties to Arkansas:

1. Blaine Knight
  2. Isaiah Campbell
  3. Josh Breaux
  4. Grant Koch
  5. Jax Biggers
  6. Kacey Murphy
  7. Eric Cole

I sure thought Murphy and Cole would be higher! Is there a chance Biggers could move up if he gets hot with the bat?

All it takes is one team that likes you, especially with the CBA now, to go much higher than projected.

I just noticed I don’t see Carson Shaddy on this list either that’s a head scratcher.

Shaddy is not a much of a pro prospect; never has been because he doesn’t have a strong defensive position. He has gone undrafted all three times that he has been eligible.

That said, he could go high in the draft this year because he has no bargaining power and can be signed for a $10,000 bonus. You’re seeing MLB teams take players high who have run out of college eligibility, like Dominic Taccolini last year. It frees up the top 10 round money to use on picks who are going to command substantial over-slot bonuses.

That makes sense!